[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vincent Jackson

tazinib1

Yeah yeah yeah I know there is a flaming thread on VJ. But doesn't VJ to the Vikings make sense? Minnesota brought Favre back to get them to the SB THIS year. Period. Sidney Rice is out until mid-season at best....Percy Harvin is dealing with headaches. Give us a couple picks and get yourself a solid WR for Brett to throw to. I'm sure the Vikings can manage with the WR's on the roster for the first 4 weeks. 4 weeks gives him plenty of time to learn the playbook and get the Horned Devils to the promised land.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cuz of the suspension PLUS roster exempt status, VJ is out a minimum of SIX games as of an hour ago.

I think a team making a run who needs WR help would rent him for a season and see what happens, but VJ needs to re-set his financial expectations.

:wacko:

<===

A boy can dream, can't he?

cuz of the suspension PLUS roster exempt status, VJ is out a minimum of SIX games as of an hour ago.

I think a team making a run who needs WR help would rent him for a season and see what happens, but VJ needs to re-set his financial expectations.

A team suspension does NOT carry over to a new team via trade. A team acquiring is only saddled with the LEAGUE enforced 3 games. No more.

The roster exemption is not limited to SD ... a team asks the NFL for the roster exemption meaning that simply moving teams doesn't negate the roster exemption

Check this article out: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d819f...game-suspension

If Vincent Jackson isn't traded before the 6 p.m. (ET) roster deadline on Sept. 4, he faces missing six games this season even if he's dealt after that.

Here is the official statement from the league on the matter:

"Vincent Jackson's three-game Substance Abuse suspension begins once the final roster reduction takes place (6 p.m. ET on Sept. 4).

"Jackson is ineligible to report to the club during his suspension.

"As per the CBA's restricted free agency provisions, if Jackson reports after his suspension begins on Sept. 4, he will be ineligible to play for an additional three weeks following the date he actually reports. The CBA's restricted free agency provisions state that once a club has notified a player of its intention to place him on the roster exempt list, the player must remain on that list for three games following the date on which he actually reports to his club."

Edited by Grits and Shins

The roster exempt 'suspension' isn't team enforced. I believe that's a general rule imposed by the league... Big John?

The Chargers could have done it a couple days sooner. Once the roster exemption was imposed, the team can elect to have it run 3 weeks after signing per the CBA, and would still occur if traded. But the team could decide whether or not to make him exempt for 3 weeks after signing. Meaning the 3 extra weeks would be imposed ONLY if the team wanted to do so. I would think if he is traded, the new team would not impose the roster exemption.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8191...t-entire-season

So lets step back for a moment. So if AJ Smith imposes a 3 game exempt status on VJ, on top of the NFL's 3 game substance abuse suspension, KNOWING that a new team will have to honor it, does this not make him a complete IDIOT!!!!

I think VJ burned his bridges with SD and AJ Smith's response was to make a conscious decision that not only is VJ not going to play for SD but he is going to sit 6 games out this year ... regardless of the cost to the Chargers.

Or AJ Smith might have thought the bargaining chip of the roster exemption was big enough to push VJ back onto the field.

Either way I'm with Smith on this one ... VJ is vastly overplaying his hand and has set an unrealistic price for ANY team ... and I appreciate it when a team stands up to a Diva.

Edited by Grits and Shins

I think VJ burned his bridges with SD and AJ Smith's response was to make a conscious decision that not only is VJ not going to play for SD but he is going to sit 6 games out this year ... regardless of the cost to the Chargers.

Or AJ Smith might have thought the bargaining chip of the roster exemption was big enough to push VJ back onto the field.

Either way I'm with Smith on this one ... VJ is vastly overplaying his hand and has set an unrealistic price for ANY team ... and I appreciate it when a team stands up to a Diva.

I started to lean this way last week. But if this bodes true that the new team, if there is one, acquires the additional suspension, then AJ just screwed us out of a 3rd or possible 2nd round pick for him. High ground or not, this is vintage AJ Smith. Not the way to run a franchise IMO.

I started to lean this way last week. But if this bodes true that the new team, if there is one, acquires the additional suspension, then AJ just screwed us out of a 3rd or possible 2nd round pick for him. High ground or not, this is vintage AJ Smith. Not the way to run a franchise IMO.

I disagree. VJ set his price waaaaaay too high and took himself out of the game - his refusal to budge from pie in the sky money made him untradeable to any team. SD didn't lose a draft pick because no other team was willing to pay VJ's asking price any more than SD. VJ thinks he is bigger than the game and I appreciate it when a team doesn't buckle.

Basically AJ made sure that IF Jackson was traded and then signed a contract in that 45-50 mil range that his first year salary would have lost less than half based upon game checks (let's just say 7mil, now lost 3.0mil for 2010). OR Jackson could have signed the tender and played for the roughly 3.5mil that the Chargers were offering originally.

Should have been enticing, but I guess it wasn't for Jackson. They could have worked on a contract extension during the year instead of this stalemate.

If the Chargers don't trade him, they can probably franchise him next off-season, depending upon the CBA rules.

Edited by Riffraff

Vincent Jackson is a complete Megan Foxnozzle. I actually doubt A.J. Smith's asking price for him is an issue for teams at all. Sure, imposing an additional suspension on a guy who they're shopping for trade is cutting off your nose to spite your face, but what team is willing to pay VJax anywhere near his asking price? He's not an elite talent like Marshall. Everyone knows it but VJax and his agent.

Vincent Jackson is a complete Megan Foxnozzle. I actually doubt A.J. Smith's asking price for him is an issue for teams at all. Sure, imposing an additional suspension on a guy who they're shopping for trade is cutting off your nose to spite your face, but what team is willing to pay VJax anywhere near his asking price? He's not an elite talent like Marshall. Everyone knows it but VJax and his agent.

Key words here. I'm not gonna argue cause I've already poolished off a 12 pack. VJ isa deuche...so is AJ.

AJ bit off his nose to spite his face. Now you won't get the compensation you would have b/c he is out 6 games instead of 3. I've always felt AJ was a dope, this confirms it.

Edited by chaz13

Philip Rivers - WR - San Diego Chargers Posted 9/4/10 10:27pm et Share this news item on Facebook! Tweet this news item!

San Diego Chargers restricted free-agent WR Vincent Jackson was not traded Saturday, Sept. 4, and remains the property of the Chargers, reports Kevin Acee of The San Diego Union-Tribune. His three-game NFL suspension for the DUI arrests is now in effect, plus the Roster Exempt List adds three more games, no matter if he signs and reports to any team now.

Huddle Up: Vincent Jackson is out for at least six games. Don't forget holdout LT Marcus McNeill, who was also on the Roster Exempt List and is suspended for three games. A fan named "Lance19" wrote this on a Chargers message board: "In my 4 decades of Charger fan-dom, I can't remember circumstances like this."

From the Huddle

Jackson serves 6 games no matter what, when, where.

Jackson could have avoided this and served the 3-game Roster Exempt suspension concurrently with the 3-game DUI suspension, if he had signed that tender by Sept. 4. It would have changed the entire dynamic of this stalemate, probably ending happily for three parties - SD, VJ, and SEA (or STL).

He did not. He will serve them consecutively, 6 straight games down the drain no matter what, when, where.

By the way...Darrelle Revis and Vincent Jackson are both represented by Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod.

JUM

The NFL PA is trying to reduce his suspension to 3 games. V-Jax owners might still see a trade early in the season. I would hang onto him if you drafted him.

Rotoworld

The NFL's Special Master is expected to rule "within a week or so" whether the Chargers can keep Vincent Jackson on the Roster Exempt list through Week 6.

Removal from the list would allow him to play in Week 4, increasing the odds he could be traded. The San Diego Union-Tribune confirms that V-Jax "is not going to be a Charger again," but interest around the league should heat back up if Jackson regains his eligibility sooner. If a trade does happen, the Chargers are reportedly vehement about sending V-Jax out of the AFC.

V-Jax's hearing is supposed to take place tomorrow. I'm sure there's more than a few teams that are interested to find out when he would be available to play.

Rotoworld

Profootballtalk.com passes along buzz that the Vikings are interested in trading for Vincent Jackson if an arbitrator keeps his suspension at three games next week.

PFT doesn't cite a specific source, but they're satisfied after "doing some digging" that a local Minneapolis report saying "the Vikings are making a play for Jackson" has legs. An unnamed team worked out a one-year agreement with Jackson last Saturday only to have it shot down by the Chargers. That team is believed to be the Vikes. On a one-year deal, V-Jax makes all the sense in the world for Minnesota.

V-Jax to the Vikes is gaining steam. The result of the hearing will tell us allot

Rotoworld

According to Lee Hamilton of XX Sports San Diego, FOX Sports' John Czarnecki reported on Hamilton's radio show Wednesday that the Vikings are poised to offer "a high draft pick" for Vincent Jackson.

The proposal is dependent upon an arbitrator ruling Thursday that Jackson will avoid the Roster Exempt list, making him eligible to play in Week 4. Czarnecki is a shaky reporter to being with, and this is coming secondhand, so take it with a grain of salt. Czarnecki did add that St. Louis is expected to "enter the mix" should V-Jax prevail in his case. Jackson makes quite a bit of sense in both locales. He'd have the most fantasy value in Minnesota.

For the record, Hamilton's (ahem) less than solid as a source for NFL reporting. Ask a San Diego resident. John Czarnecki is a little more legit as a FOX columnist, but his street cred has eroded. Sometimes it seems like Czar dreams up stuff and just posts 'em without an editor checking his work.

For the record, Hamilton's (ahem) less than solid as a source for NFL reporting. Ask a San Diego resident. John Czarnecki is a little more legit as a FOX columnist, but his street cred has eroded. Sometimes it seems like Czar dreams up stuff and just posts 'em without an editor checking his work.

That very well may be the case, but any news about V-Jax will depend heavily on if he's suspended for 3 or 6 games. We should know by the end of the day today which one it is.

Edited by Capt. Stanky