[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Houshmandzadeh a Raven

burton

RotoWorld

Ravens agreed to terms with WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh on a one-year, $855,000 contract.

This one comes out of left field. The Ravens already have two aging possession-type receivers in Anquan Boldin and Derrick Mason, so it's hard to see where Housh fits. Regardless, the egotistical former Seahawk is an extremely inexpensive upgrade over Mark Clayton at the No. 3 wide receiver spot. He held in all fantasy formats while he learns the Ravens' playbook and finds his niche.

Clayton now on the trading block, most likely released if not traded:

Ravens Insider

I'm told that Ravens WR Mark Clayton is on the trading block now. If they can't trade him, the current plan is to release him.
Edited by burton

Nice bump for Flacco.

and Clayton becomes more of an afterthought than he already was while Mason's value takes a bit of a hit as well.

I, for one, am quite interested as I have both Housh and Flacco in both leagues for which I have already drafted. However, the operative word here is "interested" but not necessarily excited because like the analysis in the intial post I don't know how well he really fits there. Of course, I don't imagine they'd have signed him if they didn't see some potential for effectiveness.

I don't think Housh is going to blow into town and cut into Derrick Mason's targets. Mason has a big, established key role in Cam Cameron's scheme. Housh is just a slight upgrade over Mark Clayton, who Cameron could never squeeze production out of.

I'd go so far as to say that the erratic Clayton could still hold off Housh somewhat and hold the No. 3 spot, rendering Housh as sort of the 3-b receiver.

All in all it's just a little boost to Joe Flacco's overall numbers in my opinion.

JUM

Edited by JUMbotron

I, for one, am quite interested as I have both Housh and Flacco in both leagues for which I have already drafted. However, the operative word here is "interested" but not necessarily excited because like the analysis in the intial post I don't know how well he really fits there. Of course, I don't imagine they'd have signed him if they didn't see some potential for effectiveness.

I agree. He could be just a red zone target in which case he helps Flacco but no one else. Too early to know what will happen.

I don't think Housh is going to blow into town and cut into Derrick Mason's targets. Mason has a big, established key role in Cam Cameron's scheme. Housh is just a slight upgrade over Mark Clayton, who Cameron could never squeeze production out of.

I'd go so far as to say that the erratic Clayton could still hold off Housh somewhat and hold the No. 3 spot, rendering Housh as sort of the 3-b receiver.

All in all it's just a little boost to Joe Flacco's overall numbers in my opinion.

JUM

Pretty much this...though its nice to see some of the general public feeling it downgrades Mason's value. He will be someone I target in leagues where an uneducated owner thinks Mason's value takes a hit here.

Roto is suggesting that there might be some sort of deal where Housh was guaranteed some sort of role. Why else would an ego-maniac like Housh agree to play fourth fiddle when he could have had the 2nd WR spot with the Redskins?

Because the Ravens are a SB caliber team? Or because maybe the Redskins declined in the end?

Roto is suggesting that there might be some sort of deal where Housh was guaranteed some sort of role. Why else would an ego-maniac like Housh agree to play fourth fiddle when he could have had the 2nd WR spot with the Redskins?

Roto is batty. He's barely making the vested veteran minimum salary.

The Ravens have a great locker room and the last thing the coaches would do is guarantee an overrated Seahawks castoff anything. He'll have to earn his keep.

He chose Baltimore because it's his last shot at getting the jewelry.

Anyone expecting something other than a bye week filler (at best) out of TJ is dreaming. His skills are in decline and his best years came only with a truly dangerous player playing opposite him. This is his last stop before retirement.

Anyone expecting something other than a bye week filler (at best) out of TJ is dreaming. His skills are in decline and his best years came only with a truly dangerous player playing opposite him. This is his last stop before retirement.

I don't have big expectations for Housh, but I think having Housh in the slot as a reliable checkdown in the middle of the field is a nice Boone for Flacco. I also think is will affect the way defenses play, and could open things up nicely for the flankers.

Balt is deep at the offensive skill positions. I think this bumps them up as the favorite to win that division (previously Cincy IMO)

Roto is batty. He's barely making the vested veteran minimum salary.

The Ravens have a great locker room and the last thing the coaches would do is guarantee an overrated Seahawks castoff anything. He'll have to earn his keep.

He chose Baltimore because it's his last shot at getting the jewelry.

he's only making veteran minimum because the Seahawks are responsible for the remaining $6+ mil on his salary. wherever he signed, the Seahawks were responsible for whatever the new team didn't pay on his $7 mil salary. naturally, the Ravens signed him for the vet minimum so that the Seahawks are left to pay him his entire remaining salary for the year. kind of a Penny Laneed up situation if you ask me. i don't understand how more teams weren't interested. surely he is better than other teams' receivers who are making the veteran minimum.

From Twitter

@RavensInsider: I'm told that Ravens WR Mark Clayton is on the trading block now. If they can't trade him, the current plan is to release him.

Name Aaron Wilson

Bio I cover the Ravens for the Carroll County Times, Annapolis Capital, Ravens Insider and National Football Post after previous stint at Pro Football Talk.

he's only making veteran minimum because the Seahawks are responsible for the remaining $6+ mil on his salary. wherever he signed, the Seahawks were responsible for whatever the new team didn't pay on his $7 mil salary. naturally, the Ravens signed him for the vet minimum so that the Seahawks are left to pay him his entire remaining salary for the year. kind of a Penny Laneed up situation if you ask me. i don't understand how more teams weren't interested. surely he is better than other teams' receivers who are making the veteran minimum.

Exactly. The Ravens have no real investment here, plus why would they offer some kind of guarantee that T.J. will get some certain amount of snaps - knowing he's a fat cat who's already got $6 million worth of game checks coming from Seattle.... :wacko:

JUM

I gota disagree with you here.

Housh is a big upgrade over Clayton, who was barely servicable as a deep threat for the Ravens. Housh is a very solid possession receiver, and can work as the #2 or out of slot.

IMO this will move Mason to the slot when they go 3 wide where he wil do VERY well against nickel coverage . Boldin is still the #1, and Housh becomes an outside reciver when they go 3 wide . . with Mason still getting the starting role with Boldin.

If anything I think this hurts Heap's stats, as you now have 3 very capable Wrs that will create matchup problems for defenses, and a guy in Housh who is 3 big macs away from playing TE himself. I think Housh's stats come at the expense of the TE position . . and to a lesser extend, Ray Rice.

From Twitter

@RavensInsider: I'm told that Ravens WR Mark Clayton is on the trading block now. If they can't trade him, the current plan is to release him.

Name Aaron Wilson

Bio I cover the Ravens for the Carroll County Times, Annapolis Capital, Ravens Insider and National Football Post after previous stint at Pro Football Talk.

Rams acquired WR Mark Clayton from the Ravens in exchange for future late-round "considerations."

RotoWorld

Interesting. How do we think this will affect Housh's numbers? In a year where Flacco is projected to throw 25 + TDs and close to 4500 yards, Housh should see some of that production trickle down, no?

Whoa, whoa, 4500 yards? Ok maybe 4,000, realistically. But for Housh, it kills him compared to in Seattle. There's no way he scored more than 4 times this year and he thrived on short passes and a lot of receptions. With two other possession receivers, Housh shouldn't get more than 60 catches, 700 yards, and 4 TDs, which are WR3 tops numbers. Stay away, people might think this is good for Teje but not at all

I'm contemplating dropping him, before he was top30 on my WR list, thought he would break out, but IMO Pete Carroll is an idiot