[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Boom or Bust

muck

In a BOTH league w/ lots of veteran huddlers (including DMD).

We had our auction last night and 92% of my $500 salary cap ($460) was spent on our nine starters with what was left over spread amongst the 11 guys on my bench. Far and away, I took the most extreme position of anyone in our league; the guy at the opposite end of the spectrum only spent 73.2% ($316) of his $500 cap on his nine starters.

How do you other auction participants do it with regards to your allocation of funds between bench players and starters?

Start QB / RB / RB / WR / WR / WR / WR / TE / PK

PPR scoring

Muck:

QB: Tony Romo / Jason Campbell / Matt Moore

RB: Ryan Grant / Michael Bush / Cadillac Williams / Leon Washington / Fred Taylor / Correll Buckhalter

WR: Randy Moss / Larry Fitzgerald / Brandon Marshall / Austin Miles / Devin Aromashadu / Jordan Shipley / Brandon Tate

TE: Kellen Winslow / Greg Olsen

PK: Matt Bryant

$13 left to spend for future WW activity (which, while not much, is more than most other guys have set aside for WW activity)

Deep-roster-guy:

QB: Jay Cutler / Donavan McNabb / Todd Collins

RB: Michael Turner / Darren McFadden / Laurence Maroney

WR: Malcom Floyd / Bernard Berrian / Nate Burleson / Earl Bennett / Johnny Knox / Robert Meacham / Anthony Gonzalez / Greg Camarillo / Jordy Nelson / Kevin Walter

TE: Todd Heap / Rob Gronkowski

PK: Robbie Gould / Neil Rackers

$73 left to spend for future WW activity (which is a huge amount and pretty much guarantee that he gets whomever he wants for most of the season, unless someone cuts a high-priced player currently on their roster)

Edited by muck

well I ended up going the "eggs in few baskets" route in my only auction this year...primarily because I spent half of my wad early on gore and AJ. my bench is all minimum bid guys except caddy ($3 out of $200), s. moss ($6) and hester ($2). so it works out to roughly 91% on starters. so half my cap on two studs, 40% on the rest of my starters, 10% on bench.

It may be interesting to note what the rosters looked like for the teams referenced ... I'll edit the original post to reflect these two teams (mine and the other guy who went for deeper bench / WW $$).

I went 88.5% starters (x9). Rest bench (x6) - Note, this wasn't a set plan. Just how it turned out.

The team I liked the most drafted starters with 97% of his money and all his bench is $1 players he picked up at the end of the auction.

This is my 2nd year doing auction and I'm leaning more and more on paying more for good starters and just trying to fill my bench via free agent pickups as the season goes along.

Edited by myhousekey

So how has your strategy been working for you? :wacko:

I think an auction for a total redraft league would have a different strategy than an auction for a dynasty league. Obviously the league to which you are referring is a hybrid of those two in that it isn't a total redraft and it really isn't a dynasty because of the salary recalculation and limited contract years. Rookies have much more value in a true dynasty league.

In year's past I typically took the deep roster route. I've done okay but have never got past DMD in the playoffs. I have come the conclusion that because of the structure of our league it doesn't make sense to build a dynasty team with depth ... in 3 years I'll have an entirely different team. So in our league we should build for this year with small consideration to next year and almost no consider to the 3rd year.

I spent 89.2% on my 9 starters ... with 33% of that on two RBs. It is a strange feeling to lack depth.

I'd also say that it depends on the ownership of the league. As you recall a couple of years ago I employed the deep roster strategy with success, largely because I watched as owners not experienced in auction style drafting went crazy early in the auction.

[ETA]

BTW ... 92% doesn't seem "far and away" from 89%

Edited by Grits and Shins

wow, I try and look for the upside in assessing peoples' teams....but IMO "deep roster guy's" team suuuucks. :wacko:

Kinda agree with this. No bonafide studs outside of Turner. Your team is absolutely stacked at WR. If I were looking at both of these strategies, I'd take yours any day.

Edited by TDFFFreak

Then I like this team a lot & think the starter spending paid off. Obviously I'm concerned about the RB situation, but that WR corps, when you can start 4, should more than make up for it in a PPR league. Although I would have preferred this team with a Ricky Williams/LT/Sproles type, Caddy will at least get you through the beginning of the season & Washington may perform in that same consistent range.

Depending on what other people have for WW moves, the other team isn't in a terrible position (although currently quite weak). If the max after him is ~$25, he's assured at least two WW darlings, which could turn his team around.

Wouldn't mind seeing a link to the league to check out the other rosters.