[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Football Etiquette

fantasyguyjsp

Ok so here's the deal. We had our draft a about a week ago. One of the guys drafted a kicker that happened to be released a couple days ago. In our league there are no moves allowed before the beginning of the season. You are allowed to change your lineup with the players you drafted but, the waiver wire is off limits. This guy who drafted the kicker talked to the commisioner and ended up getting to drop the cut player and picking up another kicker for the 1st week game. Other poeple in the league had drafted players who were cut as well but did not affect their starting lineup. My question is Fair or Foul? Should this guy be allowed to drop his kicker and pick up one prior to week one.

PS. He also did not lose his waiver wire position.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Foul.

If the commish can break the rule this time, whats to say he won't break it again. Rules are rules. If you arent going to follow them, whats the point in having them?

I have to agree. Dude should have done more homework in order to not draft a kicker in danger of being cut. Now if this was one of those drafts form a month ago, perhaps.

Foul, although I don't like the no-waivers-before-the-season rule at all. Part of the fun between the draft and the season is noodling with the fringes of your roster, plus if someone gets hurt (or cut, in this guy's case), no one is hosed.

That said, your league started with this rule, so you should live with it. Either way it breaks, though, I wouldn't let it ruin your enjoyment of the season. Good luck.

I'd make him reverse it until a vote has been made on wether to allow it or just let the team go without a kicker in week 1.

why do you have to vote on whether someone should follow a rule? it's a rule.

now, you can vote on whether the rule should stand, but voting on whether it should be followed makes no sense.

i'd be damn sure i got a good kicker if i knew i could make no moves prior to week 1. in fact, it might encourage me to take the kicker a round earlier to be sure this is the case. for those owners who did this, planned accordingly, and had their draft strategy adjusted, it is very unfair to come back and let one player off the hook who didn't pay attention.

You should change the rule for future years. I don't see it as a big deal but it depends on who you are playing with. It's like playing poker with some college buddies you have known forever and someone screws up. Do you stick them or just say it's no big deal, we understand and move on? If this is medium/low money and you are playing with buddies, I'd just say fix it for next year and move on (it's only a kicker). Just my 2cents.

First, it's a bad rule, but I'm in the big deal camp.

Frankly, it's the hyper-competitive people that get all bent out of shape over every little thing that sucks the fun out of this *game*. If you're all friends, cut the guy some slack and move on. And I can't stand the slippery slope argument, commissioners should be allowed to make rulings on a case-by-case basis. There's usually midigating factors in these situations.

First, it's a bad rule, but I'm in the big deal camp.

Frankly, it's the hyper-competitive people that get all bent out of shape over every little thing that sucks the fun out of this *game*. If you're all friends, cut the guy some slack and move on. And I can't stand the slippery slope argument, commissioners should be allowed to make rulings on a case-by-case basis. There's usually midigating factors in these situations.

Being unaware of a kicker who may lose his job is not an excuse... What happens when there is a real midigating factor during the season, but the commish balks at the idea? If there is any money involved you can't just say big deal. Someone is going to get into a pickle later in the season and will call back on this decision. It's easier for everyone, and within the rules to follow the rules.

Similarly, I drafted Kris brown w/ my final pick in an auction/keeper league. One of the guys informed me that we was hurt and in a battle for his position. More than likely he was gonna be cut (this was a week ago). I was pi$$ed, but it's my fault for not knowing that. I never once asked if I could pick again or make a change before week one. To be honest, I would have been laughed at if I did! Long story short: Rules are the rules, and your commish was WRONG to let it slide. At the very least he should put it up to a vote.

-K

you guys need to lighten up. just let him pick up another kicker. big deal.

+1. I was seriously starting to wonder if I would get through this whole thread without a sane answer. especially if this is a "friendly" league for modest stakes. but if someone wants to squawk about it, I guess the commish can open waivers for everybody. but man, of all the things to get yer panties bunched up about...

Being unaware of a kicker who may lose his job is not an excuse... What happens when there is a real midigating factor during the season, but the commish balks at the idea? If there is any money involved you can't just say big deal. Someone is going to get into a pickle later in the season and will call back on this decision. It's easier for everyone, and within the rules to follow the rules.

It's a rule that only applies to the preseason: no waivers between the end of draft and beginning of season. Why would it come up again during the season?