[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Football Etiquette

fantasyguyjsp

you guys need to lighten up. just let him pick up another kicker. big deal.

Because that 4-6 point mistake could be the + or - to start your season off. The guy made a mistake. Now, if it's a rookie mistake, I think the league as a whole should talk about it and then make a decision. The Commish should just arbitrary make a decision for the entire league.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez guys, this isn't some complicated ethics discussion.

First, it is a stupid rule to not allow people to pick up and drop prior to the season.. Like others have said, this is the root of the problem...

With that said, only way you can change it now is if the league is unanimously in favor of doing a FA run, or whatever solution is acceptable. If anyone has the slightest issue or votes against it, then you are obligated to abide by the current rules, and vote to have it changed for next year.

One of my leages has this same rule. In that league I drafted Neil Rackers before it was known who would win the starting job there. If Rackers had not won the job, then I would have been without a starting Kicker for week 1. There's no way I would have asked for special treatment if he had been the one who was cut. I took a risk by drafting only 1 Kicker, and knowing full well that he may not win the position.

Stupidity and lack of preparedness is no excuse to throw the rules out the window. I hate to be an obnoxious over-competitive jerk that ruins the hobby, but I say rules are rules. Either have them or don't. No special treatment. No favors. If you are all big boys, then be big boys and play by the rules. Otherwise it is not really a competition at all. It could be those 6-7 points that make the difference between somebody else grabbing Mr. Unprepared's playoff spot or not. And that isn't right, no matter how you slice it.

It's called being a man. More males should try it.

Stupidity and lack of preparedness is no excuse to throw the rules out the window. I hate to be an obnoxious over-competitive jerk that ruins the hobby, but I say rules are rules. Either have them or don't. No special treatment. No favors. If you are all big boys, then be big boys and play by the rules. Otherwise it is not really a competition at all. It could be those 6-7 points that make the difference between somebody else grabbing Mr. Unprepared's playoff spot or not. And that isn't right, no matter how you slice it.

Agree 100%. Well said.

I'm in the league with the original poster. We had 10 of 12 teams crying "FOUL" big time over this (guess which 2 were OK with it?). In the end the Commish wound up opening up free agnecy before the season and offered the kicker to the teams lower on the waiver line (of course, no one wanted him). The guy got his kicker and everyone calmed down. In this instance the act was a 'no harm done', but the way we got here left a little something to be desired. After 4 years we are still making things up as we go along it seems.

Lots of great conversation on the subject. Thanks guys!

wow! I am pleasantly surprised I had this many hits. The issue did get resolved in the league as my buddy has just mentioned. I appreaciate all responses. The biggest problem I had with the issue is how it went down. The guys did it without telling anybody. If the guy would have went around and asked us (we all work in the same office) then it wouldn't have been a big deal, we would have said fine and then everyone could have been under the same rules. Like my title reads "Fantasy Football Etiquette", were all friends so we would have been understanding that he needed a kicker. It was just a little shady how he went about it.

Anyway. The season is underway and we have resolved the issue (sort of). Thanks again for all the posts!

My local uses the same "no drop/add" until after 1st week - makes people pay attention during the draft. You play who you draft.

Should have reset and had them take the zero - It's only "no harm done" if that kickers points do not make a difference after the games are played.

Good point

I'm in the league with the original poster. We had 10 of 12 teams crying "FOUL" big time over this (guess which 2 were OK with it?). In the end the Commish wound up opening up free agnecy before the season and offered the kicker to the teams lower on the waiver line (of course, no one wanted him). The guy got his kicker and everyone calmed down. In this instance the act was a 'no harm done', but the way we got here left a little something to be desired. After 4 years we are still making things up as we go along it seems.

Lots of great conversation on the subject. Thanks guys!

The probably cost your company way more $ than someone losing out on a playoff spot.

Really, Really, in my best Allen Iverson voice, "were talkin bout a kicker". " Not a QB, WR, RB or even a TE" "Were talkin bout a kicker" You know the position that 99% of the people leave till one of there last picks in the draft because they just don't matter. In my league we go old school and use something that many don't use any more. Call it what you want sportsmanship cutting a guy a break, just being nice, whatever. Let the guy pick up a kicker and move on. It would be different if most people draft 2 kickers so the guy would have a replacement, but most people draft 1 kicker. Maybe I don't get it but in my league during our draft the new guy picked Sidney Rice in a round that clearly indicated he did not know he was hurt. Someone immediately said you know he is hurt and will miss at least 6 weeks and maybe the whole year. The guy said no I did not know that can I take someone else we said sure and he made another selection. For me I would not want to be part of a league that would not let the guy pick up a kicker under the circumstances described in this thread. Just my two cents.

I guess it depends on why people play. I am in a league where most of the guys are probation officers. I got invited because I was looking for a league and my cousin brought me to the draft. 10 years later some of our kids are playing with us (teens). We play for pretty modest stakes and most of us play for fun. One of the new guys came to the draft, saw me and the two other women and commented about how he can't wait to beat all these girls......The league message board has been hopping with banter about how the new guy is going to deal with being beaten by not one but all three girls (all of us have won the league at some point).

It's supposed to be fun. It's not fun if it's not flexible. We had the same Sidney Rice deal at our draft and we just told the guy and let him make another pick. We would let the guy get a kicker AND we would probably have a rule change.