[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints vs Vikings

rajncajn

I remember the first game last year and the offense looked just as bad but we were playing a crappy Run D and Peterson had a good game.

A) The offense had no rhythm - because his royal highness lord farvra doesn't feel like showing up until camp is pretty much over with.

:wacko: Camarillo, arguably their best WR right now with Rice out is learning the play book not to mention getting in sync with Favre.

C) Berrian is a joke. His Bear stank is starting to show.

What I was absolutely distraught over was them ..again...giving up on the run when Peterson was getting good runs and had fresh legs. I was horrified at how much they passed in the second half...obviously it didn't work out well for them.

But whatever..one game doesn't make a season. I hope they run more next week because it's their greatest strength.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant move not getting Housh. The Vikes sure couldn't use him. :wacko:

They have Camarillo. Housh would replace his game better than he would Rice's. I don't know if a second slow receiver would help us out that much.

Btw, there's some talk locally about the Vikings working on a big player movement. Maybe this need is being looked at right now. :tup:

Edited by MikesVikes

My two cents... Last night had everything to do with Favre, and the fact that he missed training camp again, and very little to do with Sidney Rice's absence. In other words, did the Vikes miss Rice? Sure. Was that enough to make the passing offense look out-of-sync, and somewhat anemic? No way.

Anybody who thinks last night's loss was because of Rice not being on the field, hasn't been watching Favre for the past 20 years. In other words, Favre has consistently, throughout his entire career, made mediocre WR's look better than they truly are. Of course, that happens when Favre is dialed in, throwing darts like he typically does. When that happens, he's arguably the best that has ever played the game... making throws most QB's can't, time after time. Last night, I saw a couple of those type of throws... the one to Shiancoe, over the middle (where Favre timed it perfectly) comes to mind, as does the TD throw to Shiancoe and the pass to Camarillo. But, a lot of Favre's throws last night were simply off... throwing at the feet of several WR's, poor timing, rushed throws when he didn't need to rush, etc. In other words, he's simply not "in sync" with the MIN WR's like he was for the majority of last season.

The same thing happened last year, if I remember right... Minnesota started the season with an ugly win at Cleveland, in a game where the Browns led 13-10 at the half. Favre barely threw for 100 yards in that game, while Peterson nearly single-handedly won the game for Minnesota, rushing for nearly 200 yards and 3 scores. The second week, the Vikings beat Detroit... another game where they didn't need much from Favre. I think he threw a TD or two, but his yardage was minimal, and it was a double-digit win. Week 3 was the San Francisco game... a game where everybody remembers the ending (Favre making the miracle throw to Greg Lewis for the win). What people don't remember about that game is two things... First, Lewis' catch was ten times better than Favre's throw, on that last play. Second, the Vikings offense struggled in that game. Favre ended up throwing for 300 yards, but it took him 46 passing attempts (of which he only attempted 24) to get that done... Not exactly "vintage Favre" type numbers. In fact, it wasn't until Week 4 (in the Sunday night game against the Packers) that we saw a somewhat "vintage-Favre" kind of game... 24-31 for 271 and 3 TD's.

Will Favre be able to get the timing back, and get back in sync with guys like Harvin, Berrian, and Camarillo, in time for Minnesota to stay in contention for a playoff spot? I think so... as long as he doesn't get killed first. Would it help, if Rice comes back at the half-way point in the season? Of course. Does that have to happen, for Minnesota to have another relatively successful season? In my opinion, absolutely not. Favre can/will make it work, with the weapons he has at hand... they just need to get their timing down, which is something that will take another couple of weeks, minimum.

Am I concerned, after watching last night's game? Yes and no. Yes, because for whatever reason, I'm not thrilled about Berrian having to be anything more than a #3 WR. Whether it's a lack of interest, a lack of skill, or whatever, I think he's a liability at times. I think Camarillo will emerge to be a much more reliable option in the passing game than Berrian, and maybe even Harvin as well. Dont' get me wrong... Harvin will make spectactular plays from time to time... I just wouldn't be surprised if Cam is the more reliable guy, in terms of clutch 3rd down catches, by season's end.

I'm concerned because the Vikings DID seem to abandon the run last night... It was almost as if they did the exact opposite of what they did last year, in their opening game. Now, obviously, the Saints are not the Browns, but last year, they seemed to recognize that Favre would show some rust, and held the reins back as a result... letting Peterson carry more of the load to get that first win. This year, they didn't do that, even though it became quite obvious that Favre was showing that same rust, as a result of minimal off-season preparation. I would hope that they realize that, but I guess that's why they pay Chilly the big bucks, and I'm not an NFL head coach. :wacko:

I'm also concerned because, as much as I don't want to admit it, I think the Packers will be this year's Saints... not only do I think they have the best offense in the NFL (or at least the best set of skill position weapons), I also think they could very well make a deep run in the playoffs. That doesn't mean I don't think the Vikings will make the playoffs as well... I just think the Pack has a real good shot at making some serious noise this year.

Positives from last night... The D played well, for the most part. Having Henderson back is huge, the other LB's are playing well, and Winfield healthy is always a big plus. I also like what I have seen from some of the younger players, especially guys like Abdullah and Asher Allen in the secondary. Those guys definitely held their own last night. They need to address some special teams things (particularly punt returns), but all in all, it was about what I expected. Slightly lower scoring than what I figured, but that will happen in season openers, especially with two good defenses facing off.

Just like last year, I think MN will benefit from the early schedule... next two games are at home (MIA and DET), followed by a bye. That gives Favre a month to get on track with his WR's, before their next road game (@NYJ).

I was very impressed by the run blocking by the Saints in the 2nd half. They took it right at one of the best run defenses and just wore them down. hats off to the saints.

Also not that bad of a showing by the Vikes with almost zero CBs . . poor WR play, and poor QB play. The play calling in the 2nd was terrible (why stop using your best weapon???) and as was said quite a bit previously, Favre just didnt look good at all.

McKinnie . . who gets carted off for a FINGER injury? Your finger means you cant walk? Lazy SOB . . . .:wacko:

By the way, I am not at all saying that home games against Miami and Detroit are gimme wins for the Vikings, by what I said in the last paragraph of my previous post. The Miami game is one that the Vikes can very easily lose... reminds me a lot of the SF game from last year. Home opener, against an improved, potential playoff team... Minnesota needs to be careful.

I just think that the schedule (with two home games and a bye) will help Favre do over the next month, what he should have done in training camp (get the timing down with his WR's). He had better, because the schedule after the bye is brutal... @NYJ, DAL, @GB, @NE. :wacko:

When he wasn't getting burned I suppose... :wacko:

All things considered, I thought he played OK. Made a play on the Colston near-catch down the sideline, and given that we're beat up in the secondary as it is, I'll take 14 points against NOS any day of the week. Yeah, he might have gotten beat a couple of times, but it could have been worse. If you were to tell me that the Vikings were going to play as poorly as they did, on offense, last night, I would have guessed they lose by four touchdowns, minimum. Burned or not, their defense (secondary included) played well enough to keep them in the game, against the defending champs (and one of the best O's in the league).

They can make the playoffs with the way their D played last night, even if Allen has to start every stinking game. However, if their offense is as pathetic all season, as it was last night, they don't win more than seven games this year.

The same thing happened last year, if I remember right... Minnesota started the season with an ugly win at Cleveland, in a game where the Browns led 13-10 at the half. Favre barely threw for 100 yards in that game, while Peterson nearly single-handedly won the game for Minnesota, rushing for nearly 200 yards and 3 scores.

That is the good game that Adrian had last year. When he ran over the Browns defenders.

link

What I was absolutely distraught over was them ..again...giving up on the run when Peterson was getting good runs and had fresh legs. I was horrified at how much they passed in the second half...obviously it didn't work out well for them.

Bingo. Their best player barely touched the ball in the second half.