[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Reggie Bush volunarily forfiets Heisman

rajncajn

He caused 30 fewer athletic scholarships to be given out. I don't have much sympathy for USC - they should have been in control of their program - but that's a lot of money to help kids get to school that won't be replaced because of Reggie.

No. Most likely the money will now go towards other things rather than scholarships for football players--perhaps scholarships for kids who actually are going to learn something in college.

From an overall economic efficiency point-of-view, Reggie has caused a beneficial reallocation of funds.

You can't really tell me that you believe for 75 years there has been no other winner that didn't accept anything under the table and how in the heck is giving UCLA scholarships going to help anyone but UCLA? :tup: Not to mention, as i said before, the NCAA dictates how many athletic scholarships each school can give.

See, this is the problem with what Reggie Bush did. In the mad rush to be an apologist for your boy on the Saints you are tarnishing the reputation of those who won their trophy fairly but you want to malign them anyways cuz we're all hatin' on Reggie. :wacko:

Reggie cheated, pure and simple. It says something quite strong when he's the first guy to ever return the trophy because of his actions. But hey, he's wearing black n gold now so it's all good!

Edited by Pope Flick

No. Most likely the money will now go towards other things rather than scholarships for football players--perhaps scholarships for kids who actually are going to learn something in college.

From an overall economic efficiency point-of-view, Reggie has caused a beneficial reallocation of funds.

Money well spent. Maybe football is the reason we aren't leading the way in technology anymore.

Or USC might be more focused on taking that part of the athletic budget and figuring out how they can run a PR campaign that will somehow salvage their recruiting efforts and let them still sell tickets for a bowl ineligible team in SoCal. They should start by hiring a publicist better than the one that crafted Bush's "apology".

The 30 reduced scholarships are a NCAA infraction against the school. Individuals or the school aren't allowed to replenish those. If he was to offer 30 scholarships, they would have to be academic/merit or needs based - not athletic.

See, this is the problem with what Reggie Bush did. In the mad rush to be an apologist for your boy on the Saints you are tarnishing the reputation of those who won their trophy fairly but you want to malign them anyways cuz we're all hatin' on Reggie. :wacko:

Reggie cheated, pure and simple. It says something quite strong when he's the first guy to ever return the trophy because of his actions. But hey, he's wearing black n gold now so it's all good!

I never apologized for him or pretended that he did no wrong once the facts came out. He did wrong, he made a mistake... a big mistake and it's cost him & his school a lot. Now he seems to be trying to atone for it and I give him credit for what he is doing now.

Ever since he's played for the Saints he's been nothing but a stand-up guy, a model citizen and a true supporter of the community both financially and physically. What he did was wrong, but yeah, I'm willing to forgive & forget. Not because I'm a fan, but because I believe the NCAA system is set up for failure in this regard and that by his actions since he means to make up for what he has done.

METAIRIE, La. -- Reggie Bush said Thursday that his decision to relinquish his Heisman Trophy is "not an admission of guilt," just the best way to end the controversy.

"It's me showing respect to the Heisman Trophy itself and to the people who came before me and the people coming after," the running back said after New Orleans Saints practice. "I just felt like it was the best thing to do, the most respectful thing to do because obviously I do respect the Heisman. I do respect all the things it stands for."

The Heisman Trophy Trust had discussed reviewing Bush's eligibility for the award after an NCAA report concluded that the running back and his family had improperly accepted cash and gifts from sports agents while he played for USC.

:wacko:

I have to agree that him giving it back is more or less a meaningless gesture. He's just trying to save face publicly so none of his sponsers will drop him. (I'm assuming he at least has some sort of deal with crappy shoes from spammers or gatorade)

Is what he did wrong? yes

Does he feel bad about it? no

Is he still a Superbowl champ and because of the that the fans will forgive him? yes

He's was like every other high profile player bidding his in college until he could get a gig in the NFL....

< shrug >

It seems to me like everybody is making a big deal out of something that is no longer relevant. The fact of the matter Bush knows and we know that he was voted the best player in football in 2005 ... taking his little statue away from him and scratching his name out of the books doesn't change anything.