[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Forte

lkirc

Is it time to shop Forte in a PPR? Will his value ever be higher? If he is going to be a solid RB2 for the season, I can roll with him, but if he is going to be a 3.0 YPC guy who will split 60/40, now is probably the time to move him.

After last year, I am a bit nervous putting complete faith in him. Getting stuffed 3 times by the Lions from the 1 didn't make me feel real good about the O-line in Chicago or about Forte's GL ability.

Anyone care to share their thoughts?

Edited by lkirc

I've considered this, but frankly 200 total yds and 2 TDs vs. the Lions could easily mean 100 total yds and a probable TD from Forte each week. I wouldn't feel like I had to sell high because I think the guy will tank. I have a feeling that Forte will be a reliable RB2 this season in PPR leagues. Forte just caught seven passes against a terrible secondary, meaning the opportunity for the Bears WRs to make plays was as good as it can get last week. Yet Forte caught two more passes than the top Bears WR. Once the Bears start playing teams with better corners and safeties, I would think it only helps Forte's value. You point about getting stuffed from the 1 yard line is valid enough, though Detroit's defensive line is a lot better this year than last. And that's also why I the points I made above are more PPR related.

The other consideration is who do you think you can actually get for him? I mean, it seems likely that the rest of the owners in your league are going to look at Forte and say "well, that was the Lions... he's really not that good."

Good points. I agree most owners would realize he was playing the Lions and downgrade him a bit, but our scoring rewards long TDS. He put up 65 points in our system last week. He even outscored Foster by a big margin. That may be hard for some owners to ignore.

Thinking about it more now, he scored a 89 yard TD in the preseason as well. Big play machine so far.

As far as who I think I could get in return for him, I was thinking DWill, Turner, Pierre.....

Good points. I agree most owners would realize he was playing the Lions and downgrade him a bit, but our scoring rewards long TDS. He put up 65 points in our system last week. He even outscored Foster by a big margin. That may be hard for some owners to ignore.

Thinking about it more now, he scored a 89 yard TD in the preseason as well. Big play machine so far.

As far as who I think I could get in return for him, I was thinking DWill, Turner, Pierre.....

In PPR I would much rather have Forte rather than Turner or Pierre

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/game...&sYear=2006

kevin jones' game log from 06......i owned him that year as my #2rb....he was pretty serviceable

when the rushing yards werent there...the receiving yards were nice....around 500 yards there with about 5 catches a game while missing the final 3 games....

for some reason when i think of forte this year....i cant help but look back and think of jones here.....eh you might wanna shop him....couldnt hurt....maybe you can find someone to overpay.....but he might be ok as a 2....he might exceed expectations too

kevin jones' game log from 06......i owned him that year as my #2rb....he was pretty serviceable

when the rushing yards werent there...the receiving yards were nice....around 500 yards there with about 5 catches a game while missing the final 3 games....

for some reason when i think of forte this year....i cant help but look back and think of jones here.....eh you might wanna shop him....couldnt hurt....maybe you can find someone to overpay.....but he might be ok as a 2....he might exceed expectations too

IF you can find someone to take him I would move his ass ASAP. The dude is a bum. He is started in 78% of leagues on CBS Sportsline. 1 guy in my league as him as his #3 RB, but no one in my league wants him. Everyone see's his 87yd td as a fluke and the bulk of his pts. He'll have to have 2 or 3 more games like he just did, and get his ypc at least over 3.

I remember Jones that year. I would watch the game and think he stunk and then look at the stats and say.......REALLY? Forte could have that kind of season. If he catches 60 passes, he will be gold in my scoring sytem.

He was target 7 times and he caught all of them. In a Martz system the RB will usually get all the dump passes the TE gets because with Martz TEs are used for blocking while he opens up the field with WRs and the RB will normally get the short routes. I like Forte's chances this season.

Moved him today to the Grant owner along with Harvin for Randy Moss/Leon Washington. I really wouldn't have minded keeping Forte as my #3 RB, it would have been one heckuva insurance policy, as I expect Forte to somehow or another compile pretty good numbers most weeks, but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to add Randy to my starting lineup.

Moved him today to the Grant owner along with Harvin for Randy Moss/Leon Washington. I really wouldn't have minded keeping Forte as my #3 RB, it would have been one heckuva insurance policy, as I expect Forte to somehow or another compile pretty good numbers most weeks, but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to add Randy to my starting lineup.

I don't blame you there. Nice trade.....

Do you know something I don't know about Leon Washington? Or was he just a throw in to you?

Also, the people saying Forte is a bum and that he sucked last year blah blah blah... His situation is a lot different this year. He has his burst back this year and was hurt much of last year... He also is in a different scheme that will get him the ball in space more. It is somewhat concerning that he couldn't punch it in from the goalline last week, but that doesn't make him a bum.

Edited by MTSuper7

Do you know something I don't know about Leon Washington? Or was he just a throw in to you?

Also, the people saying Forte is a bum and that he sucked last year blah blah blah... His situation is a lot different this year. He has his burst back this year and was hurt much of last year... He also is in a different scheme that will get him the ball in space more. It is somewhat concerning that he couldn't punch it in from the goalline last week, but that doesn't make him a bum.

Just a throw in, but I probably won't keep him long. The deal was offered straight up for Moss, but I asked him to throw in Leon and he agreed. I've always liked Leon Washington and I still think he has an opportunity to have a somewhat decent season. Also a bit of a homer pick. But no, you aren't missing anything.

Chet IS the better back there...

Is this one of those things like Beetlejuice or Candyman that if you repeat it enough times it will happen?

Forte is fun to watch. He's big, strong, and yet when he gets in the open field he manages to find another gear somehow. You watch him run and can't quite figure out how DBs can't run him down in short order.

Hell, if I have to settle for 16 carries for 65 yds and 5 catches for 35 yds on a bad week, and a TD thrown in for good measure regularly I guess I'll have to find a way to live with it...

Solid Mike Martz RB's will average 1 TD per game and 100 combined yards. The RB is what really makes that offense tick. Detroit had somewhat success and made Kitna a 4000+ yard passer... but what RB really stood out at that time there? I'll argue all day long that Faulk made that offense run like it did in STL. IMHO, Forte isn't Aveon Cason, Kevin Jones, Lamar Gordon... maybe not Faulk either, but I think Forte is closer to Faulk than the other RBs I mentioned in that offensive scheme.

If I could afford to do it, I'd deal for Forte in a heartbeat. Just my :wacko: .

Bears back Forte wants to put injuries, excuses behind him

BOURBONNAIS — Matt Forte drew hoots and hollers when he ran through a hole over right tackle and burst free into the secondary Tuesday.

It was only practice — and not even a full-contact practice — on the fifth day of training camp, but it was a burst Forte never showed in his hugely disappointing sophomore season.

Forte went from smashing Chicago Bears rookie records for rushing yards (1,238), pass receptions (63) and total yards (1,715) to running for 929 yards last year. His 3.6-yards per carry average ranked dead last among the 27 NFL players with 750 yards rushing.

There’s a good reason for that drop-off: Forte was injured all last year. He pulled his hamstring, which never fully healed, in organized team activities, and then banged up his knee in Chicago’s third game.

“As a running back, you’ve got to be able to run,” Forte said. “If you have hamstring and knee problems, it’s not going to be where you want it to be. If you can’t run like you want to run, you are not going to be able to do your job like you want to do it.”

Forte never said a word about it at the time. “I don’t make excuses,” he said. “In the NFL, you have to fight through injuries.”

The Bears respect him for that.

“If you could model yourself after that young man right there, man, I’ll tell you, he’s first class all the way,” running backs coach Tim Spencer said.

Forte may have fought through his injuries last year, but he never got past them. He was even less effective than his raw numbers indicate. He gained almost half his yards against arguably the three worst teams in the league, averaging 101 yards in four games against the Rams (1-15), Lions (2-14) and Browns (who started the season 1-11). In his other 12 games, he averaged 44 yards rushing and 2.95 yard per carry.

“Every day was one thing after another,” Spencer said. “Once he would get something to the point he thought he was good, then something else happened, and he’d start the whole process over again.”

Now he’s starting his career over again. After offseason knee surgery and a winter to rest his hamstring, Forte looks like a different runner.

“It’s a pretty easy solution,” Forte said. “If you are not injured, you can go and train in the offseason and come into camp where you are supposed to be.”

Spencer said signing free-agent Chester Taylor, a former 1,200-yard rusher himself, should keep Forte healthy by lightening his load.

Forte doesn’t want his load lightened.

“You’ve got to be a workhorse as a running back,” Forte said. “You can’t put a number on how many touches you can get. If they give you the ball, you’ve got to make something happen with it, no matter how many times they give it to you.”

That’s what Forte did as a rookie, when he tied for the NFL lead in first downs (86) and 12th in the league with 12 touchdowns.

Forte and the Bears think he can do it again now that he’s regained his health.

“A running back in this league carrying the ball as many times as the Chicago Bears tailback will carry it, you need to be in tiptop shape,” coach Lovie Smith said. “He’s there. He’s put himself in a position where he deserves to have a good year by the way he has worked.”

Now he just has to prove it.

“There’s always,” Forte said, “something to prove.”

This is from the official site of the Chicago Bears

I thought forte was slow and then i found out he was injured...i wanted him this year even- even after last year when i thought he sucxked--

I touted him as value all summer due to his catching ability and loved him as a RB3 but wasn't in the draft day cards. He still doesn't seem to be able to punch it in, but should get enough TDs from farther out to compensate. IMO he won't dazzle by any means but is a worthy RB2 in bigger leagues, maybe even in "medium" sized leagues.