[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Want to know why I am not dropping Brent Celek?

dsagen

Brent Celek had an electric couple of games last year. Like most of America I bit on the hype and drafted him in the 5th round. I thought that him rooming with Kolb, and having such a hot stat line when Kolb was throwing last year, I was golden at the TE spot.

Now that Kolb is injured for an unknown amount of time, I have a few people asking me if I would be willing to part with Brent Celek. My answer is NO and I'll tell you why.

First, Brent Celek has enormous upside when Kolb returns, as once the rush is coming, Kolb will check down to his man. I'm sure Celek is in Kolb's ear every night saying give me the ball.

My second reason for keeping Celek is that Vick does have history feeding his TE. Does the name Alge Crumpler come to mind? later in Vick's career, he began to trust throwing the ball, and developed a nice chemistry with Alge. Enough a Chemistry that Alge was considered a top 5 TE for a few seasons after averaging 810/yards and 6 TD's a season from 2004 - 2006 ( Vick's last 3 years in ATL).

I'd advise to keep Celek in your lineup, and let's watch this guy Rock'n'Roll.

Brent Celek had an electric couple of games last year. Like most of America I bit on the hype and drafted him in the 5th round. I thought that him rooming with Kolb, and having such a hot stat line when Kolb was throwing last year, I was golden at the TE spot.

Now that Kolb is injured for an unknown amount of time, I have a few people asking me if I would be willing to part with Brent Celek. My answer is NO and I'll tell you why.

First, Brent Celek has enormous upside when Kolb returns, as once the rush is coming, Kolb will check down to his man. I'm sure Celek is in Kolb's ear every night saying give me the ball.

My second reason for keeping Celek is that Vick does have history feeding his TE. Does the name Alge Crumpler come to mind? later in Vick's career, he began to trust throwing the ball, and developed a nice chemistry with Alge. Enough a Chemistry that Alge was considered a top 5 TE for a few seasons after averaging 810/yards and 6 TD's a season from 2004 - 2006 ( Vick's last 3 years in ATL).

Keep in mind that during that timeframe Vick had absolutely nothing at WR. Does the name Brian Finneran come to mind? That was his best WR. Don't even start the Roddy White debate. He hadn't arrived yet when Vick was on the team.

Personally, I rarely trade a player when their value is down. I will go down with the ship before I do that, so I would hang onto Celek as well, but I thought before the season that the entire passing offense in Philly would take a hit, Celek included.

I'm not really comfortable with the bolded part.....

On a serious note, though, I really don't know how to feel about Celek. Kolb looked really bad before he got flattened and Vick was seeing quite a bit of playing time. I always thought of Andy Reid as a pretty smart offensive coach, but now he is trying to play musical QBs in the NFL? This plan can't be good for letting your offense get into a rythym. The Eagles looked very unorganized on offense. This can't bode well for Celek's numbers this year.

As the previous poster said, you can't unload him while his value is down, but you may want to at least start thinking about plan B.

I never bought into the Kolb hype, and consequently stayed away from Eagles in general.

For anyone that did buy into Kolb, you have no choice but to sit on Celek and D Jackson now, and hope they either rebound or at least have a few good games to get their trade value back up.

I also tend to stay away from players who might have finished strongly the previous year if they only got "starter" playing time late in the year. Kolb, J Charles, Harrison, S Greene. I see them as having far more risk than even a rookie RB like Mathews who you know will at least be a bell cow RB. That doesn't man they won't live up to their hype. I just see more risk.

Guys like Celek, Shciancoe and even a Finley while having great upside aren't Clark, Gates or Davis either. (I include Davis because he was a stud with a lousy QB last year). They do carry more risk. That hardly means they aren't on any kind of "do not draft" list, but I simply mean to say that they carry more risk that established studs or even rookies that have no competition for touches.

anyone looking to get rid of Celek now is probably playing Fantasy for the first time, so we should be helpful in explaining why he shouldn't feel the need to even make a thread like this and why he should be trying to acquire Celek if he didn't have any TE's as good as him...

the whole buy low/sell high routine...

anyone looking to get rid of Celek now is probably playing Fantasy for the first time, so we should be helpful in explaining why he shouldn't feel the need to even make a thread like this and why he should be trying to acquire Celek if he didn't have any TE's as good as him...

the whole buy low/sell high routine...

That's for members under 100 to do the rest of us just try to fleece them

This is a great post! And to think I was contemplating dropping Brent Celek to pick up an extra kicker.

I'll return the favor and write my own article on a Week 1 under-performing fantasy starter, and best of all, it'll be short:

Want to know why I am not dropping Ray Rice?

Answer: Because I'm not dumb.

You all can thank me later for my profound knowledge. :wacko:

I don't see anything in the original post that says "dumping" Celek. Why are you guys jumping on this post? He is talking about trading/benching.

You definately read between the lines better than I do if that's what you get out of it.

Legit thread. Instead of tossing a 4 yard pass, Vick is gonna run it. If I owned Celeck, and my manlove for TE's runs deep, I would be worried. Face facts... if Vick wins he's in. I'm not saying he's worth cutting, but in a trade sometimes you have to roll the bones when the time is right. Hindsight is always 20/20... unless you're Muto.

Edited by Thews40

Legit thread. Instead of tossing a 4 yard pass, Vick is gonna run it. If I owned Celeck, and my manlove for TE's runs deep, I would be worried. Face facts... if Vick wins he's in. I'm not saying he's worth cutting, but in a trade sometimes you have to roll the bones when the time is right. Hindsight is always 20/20... unless you're Muto.

who was Vick's favorite target in Atlanta?....

Well, he refers to "dropping" Celek in the title of the thread. :wacko:

:tup: I reread the post not the title.

You definately read between the lines better than I do if that's what you get out of it.

Doesn't seem hard to get the point of his post; he straight up says trading. Now that I read the title again, it is misleading, but still obvious to me :tup:

I think Celek will be fine for the same reasons people have stated above - Vick's skillset and style of play is best suited to hit big targets like TEs, which is why Crumpler was such an asset back in ATL. When a guy is always moving and thinking about running, he will very rarely be able to throw accurately on deep balls (I think this is why people should be concerned about DeSean Jax so long as Vick is under center). He utilizes busted plays/coverages (which is what happens when Ds don't know whether to spy him or not) to hit big, generally wide open, targets over the middle - that's what he did with Crumpler and I assume he'll do the same with Celek.

I'm just not sure that the Philly receivers are used to seeing balls thrown with such speed and out of that weird arm slot that Vick has. Anyone who has played WR or TE will attest that it's quite an adjustment when you start seeing balls coming from a different angle/arm slot and at greater velocities than you're used to. You could see it on their faces last week that they simply weren't prepared for the way the ball came at them a few times. Vick ain't Kolb and the latter is what they're used to. Philly needs to be really careful not to let this situation turn into a QB merry-go-round, or the offense will end up completely out of sync.

I think Celek will be fine for the same reasons people have stated above - Vick's skillset and style of play is best suited to hit big targets like TEs, which is why Crumpler was such an asset back in ATL. When a guy is always moving and thinking about running, he will very rarely be able to throw accurately on deep balls (I think this is why people should be concerned about DeSean Jax so long as Vick is under center). He utilizes busted plays/coverages (which is what happens when Ds don't know whether to spy him or not) to hit big, generally wide open, targets over the middle - that's what he did with Crumpler and I assume he'll do the same with Celek.

I'm just not sure that the Philly receivers are used to seeing balls thrown with such speed and out of that weird arm slot that Vick has. Anyone who has played WR or TE will attest that it's quite an adjustment when you start seeing balls coming from a different angle/arm slot and at greater velocities than you're used to. You could see it on their faces last week that they simply weren't prepared for the way the ball came at them a few times. Vick ain't Kolb and the latter is what they're used to. Philly needs to be really careful not to let this situation turn into a QB merry-go-round, or the offense will end up completely out of sync.

Great analysis. Aside from Vick struggling with accuracy, the zip he puts on the ball was always tough for our recievers to handle in ATL too. Granted the WRs outside of Crumpler were not good, but maybe it could have something to do with why "pan-hands" Roddy didn't break out until Vick left ... I don't think that's entirely true, but it is safe to say that whoever can handle those passes could still do pretty well with Vick under center...

As a Desean owner in one league, I'm also very concerned, but as a Maclin owner in PPR I'm optimistic, no matter which QB is under center.