[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

League Commish Is Changing Scoring Settings

ParLawGod

I am in a competitive league ($20 to get in, a friend invited me). I do not know the league commissioner, but he started changing all of the scoring settings in the league a couple days ago.

Anyone else been in a money league where the commish changes the scoring AFTER the start of the season? Is it possible for someone to change scoring to benefit their team's strengths?

Am I being overly sensitive to this? I probably won't say anything (I'm just going to let my team do the talking regardless of the scoring system in place), but it seems rather "fishy" to me...

Edited by ParLawGod

in case you didn't get the sarcasm above, it is messed up and shouldn't happen....and if everyone in the league isn't bit(hing about it than I hate to tell you but you aren't in a very competitive league

Changing the rules as you go is what makes it competitive. It's more like life rules than sports.

I am the commissioner of our league and we always ask if there are any proposed changes to the rules or the scoring system before we start the draft. I believe that once the draft has taken place that there should be know changes to the rules or the scoring system unless it is voted upon and approved by a majority of the league members!

I talked with the league commissioner and brought up the following points.

1) Scoring system affects the way you draft (at least for me anyways, can't speak for others in the league) - i.e. quarterback heavy scoring system.

2) It could be misinterpreted that you are trying to give yourself an edge based on your own team's strengths.

He said that he meant to make the changes before, but forgot. Long story short, he agreed to run the changes by ALL team owners (and has agreed to do so in the future.

I went through the scoring changes in-depth (even used a pad and paper to keep track!) and I really don't think the scoring changes were meant to give anyone an edge, but you STILL run it by the whole league if you need to make some changes.

Thanks for encouraging me to speak up...I feel a whole lot better now! I've been in a lot of leagues, but never had this happen before. Always a new story every year, right? :wacko:

I talked with the league commissioner and brought up the following points.

1) Scoring system affects the way you draft (at least for me anyways, can't speak for others in the league) - i.e. quarterback heavy scoring system.

2) It could be misinterpreted that you are trying to give yourself an edge based on your own team's strengths.

He said that he meant to make the changes before, but forgot. Long story short, he agreed to run the changes by ALL team owners (and has agreed to do so in the future.

I went through the scoring changes in-depth (even used a pad and paper to keep track!) and I really don't think the scoring changes were meant to give anyone an edge, but you STILL run it by the whole league if you need to make some changes.

Thanks for encouraging me to speak up...I feel a whole lot better now! I've been in a lot of leagues, but never had this happen before. Always a new story every year, right? :wacko:

Always speak up!!!! He may have not meant any harm but he should have had the whole league approve. In one of my leagues any rule that is voted on during the season has to have 100% approval before it goes into affect immediately. Any rule change that has a majority vote but not unanimous goes into affect the next season.

I believe that once the draft has taken place that there should be know changes to the rules or the scoring system unless it is voted upon and approved by a majority of the league members!

I have been thinking about this because it happenned in one of my leagues last year. There was a poll and it was voted by the majority to change the defensive scoring system, but by a close margin. I think even this is BS. If it benefits certain teams, they will vote for it. For any change to be made to the settings after the draft, I believe there must be unanimous approval from all teams (or at the very least no opposition). Like others have said, the scoring settings are the basis of the draft, transactions, and just about every other move. The only way they should be changed is if every single team agrees to the changes.

Edited by Rob035

I have been thinking about this because it happenned in one of my leagues last year. There was a poll and it was voted by the majority to change the defensive scoring system, but by a close margin. I think even this is BS. If it benefits certain teams, they will vote for it. For any change to be made to the settings after the draft, I believe there must be unanimous approval from all teams (or at the very least no opposition). Like others have said, the scoring settings are the basis of the draft, transactions, and just about every other move. The only way they should be changed is if every single team agrees to the changes.

Completely agree, every team agrees or else it doesn't go through and whoever wanted the change is SOL.

about 10 years ago I had a league change the scoring rules about 2 week into the season, most of the owners voted for it. I think changing the rule after the season has started is BS, unless ALL owners vote for it, i requested my money back and dropped out of that league

have been in a few of these awful leagues......when i run my league as soon as the the 1st name is picked out of the hat for draft order the scoring and rosters are etched in stone and under no circumstances will they change......there have been a few things that myself and other players pointed out would be better but i just wrote them down and implemented them NEXT season

i think the worst i was involved in was where the commish added return yardage to the indiviual player scoring and then quickly scooped up return guys as his WR's and they turned out to score right at the top wr guys in the league .....

nothing worse than a garbage commish to ruin a league.....luckily its only $20 for you but i would still be pissed and try to do something about it