[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gaffney....

teewhy237

I had high hopes for Gaffney this season. I had tempered expectations overall but still thought he'd be a solid possession receiver and anticipated an 80+ catch season. With the reemergence of Eddie Royal and the performance of Demaryius Thomas in only his first game of action, it looks pretty clear to me that Gaffney will be the odd man out.

The Broncos receiving is a cluster. It seems that one will be a target each week and get you mega points, if you can figure out which receiver is Ortons favorite that week!

Now, in one league I picked up Lloyd because I do think Lloyd at least will be somewhat consistent in a pass heavy offense.

I'm starting to wonder if he was a wasted pick too but after just 2 games I'm not quite ready to drop him yet. I'm going to keep him on the bench for another week or two and watch how it plays out. Not sure yet just who the go to guy is. Maybe some Denver fans have some insight? Paging Bronco Billy!

I was dubious on his sleeper status from the start, now any semblance of it is gone.

Gaffney couldn't catch on in Houston with Andre Johnson drawing double coverage and was kind of an afterthought in the Patriots offense- both pre and post Moss and Welker.

I think Gaffney in Denver is an example of experts throwing their hands up and saying "Well somebody has to catch the passes"....because without any indication of prior success, it never seems to work out for WRs in their later years like that. Gaffney turns 30 in December.

Thomas is the guy to have, no question. Royal maybe finally looks like he might start to click. Should one of those guys get hurt, it still gets no better for Gaffney, I'd expect to see a muddled mess of varying success week-to-week, a fantasy wasteland better known as waiver wire fodder.

I was dubious on his sleeper status from the start, now any semblance of it is gone.

Gaffney couldn't catch on in Houston with Andre Johnson drawing double coverage and was kind of an afterthought in the Patriots offense- both pre and post Moss and Welker.

I think Gaffney in Denver is an example of experts throwing their hands up and saying "Well somebody has to catch the passes"....because without any indication of prior success, it never seems to work out for WRs in their later years like that. Gaffney turns 30 in December.

Thomas is the guy to have, no question. Royal maybe finally looks like he might start to click. Should one of those guys get hurt, it still gets no better for Gaffney, I'd expect to see a muddled mess of varying success week-to-week, a fantasy wasteland better known as waiver wire fodder.

Well Thomas is on the waiver wire. Might have to consider this. Thanks for the input.

Its moments like this though in fantasy that irritate me in general, just reading and hearing so many hypes about Gaffney and like someone said analysts making it seem like the receiving core was Gaffney and a few grandmothers, so of course gaffney has to catch the passes.

And then you pick him up thinking you are making a nice sneaky maneuver, and nothing...you sit back and watch Eddie Royal just go nuts and catch passes like nothing, especially after you had him last year and he did absolutely zlich for you...its just irritating, i love fantasy but it has aspects that really bug and annoy me.

If you can tuck him away, yeah, I'd get him. He will have great value come next season for sure.

This entirely premature, but it does seem like there's one rook WR that seems to come out of nowhere every couple years or so to light it up...or at least provide respectable numbers... I know it's generally a 3 year process for WR development, but there are some recent examples of this...Colston, Boldin, Calvin Johnson...way back Randy Moss....and maybe the most bizarre example, Michael Clayton, went for 1193-7 in year one.

to a lesser extent, Hakeem Nicks and Jeremy Maclin were startable in spots last year.

If you're looking around for those guys this year, Thomas comes to mind pretty early for me. Who else? Maybe that guy on Chicago? Tampa Bay Mike Williams?

Edited by The Waterboy

And then you pick him up thinking you are making a nice sneaky maneuver, and nothing...you sit back and watch Eddie Royal just go nuts and catch passes like nothing, especially after you had him last year and he did absolutely zlich for you...

I can relate. But at least I think I've learned from last year and won't hold on to dead weight for too long this season. There appear to be way too many options in the Denver passing game. I'm going to look elsewhere.

Gaffney's talented but just can't seem to seize opportunities. I would agree that he's droppable, if you are eyeing an up-and-coming WR then Gaffney should not take up that bench spot.

The real story here is that Orton has a bunch of weapons and he's very comfortable in this offense.

For what its worth, I just read that Lloyd stands to lose the reps as opposed to Gaffney. I think Gaffney will still have some moments, but pretty much what everyone mentioned, good luck starting him the right game. I think Thomas and Royal are the only reliable options going forward.

I got to watch Denver play for the first time yesterday and looks like they have a full blown receiver rotation going on there. The passing game looks awefully good, except in the red zone, but the recievers just rotate in and out on different series. Looks a lot like the Saints where they are spreading the ball around .

I got to watch Denver play for the first time yesterday and looks like they have a full blown receiver rotation going on there. The passing game looks awefully good, except in the red zone, but the recievers just rotate in and out on different series. Looks a lot like the Saints where they are spreading the ball around .

I watched most of the game. Looked to me like Gaffney had the most favorable matchup in the secondary and Orton was going to keep going there. He had man coverage and did a great job over the middle but if he had a bit more separation would have been able to shake loose deep for a few big gains. Overall, he is a nice solid WR that occasionally will have games like yesterday. But I think that is his ceiling and not something you can count on week in and week out. But he has great hands and rarely will draw the defenses best coverage defender. Royal in the slot should be much more consistent and Thomas is going to be a beast of a player. Brandon Lloyd was getting the deep looks mostly (and looked very dangerous as well again with single coverage mostly).

There has been only one consistent player on that receiver core and that's Lloyd. He was consistent when he was healthy towards the end of last year and has been consistent all of this year so far. Only receiver I would touch or at least start consistently on this roster is Lloyd. Plus, he did mighty fine on my bench this week :\