[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

More Commissioner BS

STL Fan

So two teams in a league where I'm the commish make a trade. A blockbuster for sure. Standard non-ppr scoring. Team A trades Chris Johnson to Team B for Tom Brady and Jahvid Best. A couple other owners are barking about trading the league's #1 overall pick and not getting equivalent ADP back for him.

I'm definitely of the mindset that trades don't get vetoed unless there is collusion or some very serious other circumstance. Plus, the trade looks OK to me. Both teams get better. Team A has a noted deficiency at QB and they get Brady. Team B, well, they get CJ so they're better.

Thoughts?

Tell the nancys in the league that its about time they quit #####ing put on some man pants. There's nothing wrong with that trade.

That's kinda what I said in a board post. Something to the effect of "ADP only counts until the last pick of the last round. After that, value is determined by the owners of the players. FWIW, I think the trade is pretty balanced."

You pretty much know what everyone here is going to say (no collusion = no veto), but you've already highlighted one reason why it's totally legit. It appears to improve both teams, which is the precise reason why any trade gets made. Would I have sold off CJ after an off game, no, but after a couple nice games from Best, the perceived value is alot more comparable right now when you add Brady in for a QB-weak team.

As for ADP, the further you get from draft day the less it becomes a factor, and the more it becomes "what have you done for me lately".

Other than that, not really sure what you say to the owners except "I'm not the value police" :wacko:

Edited by delusions of granduer

You pretty much know what everyone here is going to say (no collusion = no veto), but you've already highlighted one reason why it's totally legit. It appears to improve both teams, which is the precise reason why any trade gets made. Would I have sold off CJ after an off game, no, but after a couple nice games from Best, the perceived value is alot more comparable right now when you add Brady in for a QB-weak team.

As for ADP, the further you get from draft day the less it becomes a factor, and the more it becomes "what have you done for me lately".

Other than that, not really sure what you say to the owners except "I'm not the value police" :wacko:

Yeah, the owner trading CJ is definitely not giving up on him, he just needs help at QB. His QB's are Young and Campbell. Both benched yesterday.

Yeah, no kidding... ask them what players would be the equivalent of Arian Foster's ADP?

Yeah, or someone like Mark Clayton, whose ADP was somewhere around "not drafted" and now is at least on a roster on all leagues.

Tell them what I have always told leagues where I commish:

The trade is going through, and who wants to be commissioner next year?

Well, there's a couple of them I definitely would not want to be commissioner. That's for sure. The trade will be processed, there was never any wavering on that, I was looking for opinions on the two chuckleheads complaining that I should have vetoed it. When I told him it was going through, one of them said "put it to a league vote then, and see if everyone approves it. I dare you." That's part of why I wouldn't want a few of them to be commissioner. I think league votes on trades are an invitation to disaster.

Well, there's a couple of them I definitely would not want to be commissioner. That's for sure. The trade will be processed, there was never any wavering on that, I was looking for opinions on the two chuckleheads complaining that I should have vetoed it. When I told him it was going through, one of them said "put it to a league vote then, and see if everyone approves it. I dare you." That's part of why I wouldn't want a few of them to be commissioner. I think league votes on trades are an invitation to disaster.

it's not appropriate for a league to vote on whether a trade should go through, because the owners will vote according to their own self-interest. leagues like this are a complete farce, because trades that make both teams better are AGAINST the interests of the other 10 (or however many) teams in the league. if you're going to do that, you may as well just not allow trades at all. ask these knuckleheads if they think start/bench decisions should be made by league vote as well. or draft picks. should one team be "allowed" to pick tony romo before drew brees? or should that be prohibited by league vote as well?

it's not appropriate for a league to vote on whether a trade should go through, because the owners will vote according to their own self-interest. leagues like this are a complete farce, because trades that make both teams better are AGAINST the interests of the other 10 (or however many) teams in the league. if you're going to do that, you may as well just not allow trades at all. ask these knuckleheads if they think start/bench decisions should be made by league vote as well. or draft picks. should one team be "allowed" to pick tony romo before drew brees? or should that be prohibited by league vote as well?

Bingo.

What he said. This is absolute sour grapes from the other owners in the league. ADP has zero to do with anything after week 1 and if they wanted to make this deal before the season started, it still looks legit to me.

The owners in your league don't know how lucky they are to have a fair and just commish like you. Hopefully the bitching will die down after a week. If it doesn't, then you have choices to make just how hard you're going to push back. :wacko:

this happened to me last year. i'm commissioner of a league that last season was in its second year. our trade deadline was one week later than it should have been. i was fighting for a playoff spot and made a trade with one of the last-place teams -- i got peyton and turner for mcnabb, lesean mccoy and steve smith (nyg). everyone cried that it was lopsided in my favor and demanded to let them vote on it. i said no, for all the reasons already given here, plus i said turner, who was injured at the time, and manning, whose team had almost locked up home field advantage, were both huge risks. in the end, the guys i traded ended up outscoring the guys i got by nearly 3 to 1. looking back, it was dumb for the commissioner to make a trade like that so late in the year. but this year we addressed it and moved the trade deadline earlier.

That's kinda what I said in a board post. Something to the effect of "ADP only counts until the last pick of the last round. After that, value is determined by the owners of the players. FWIW, I think the trade is pretty balanced."

ADP doesn't even mean diaper dirt prior to the last pick is made.

Warren Buffet has two rules of investing:

Rule #1 Make money

Rule #2 Don't lose money

Fantasy version:

Rule #1 Be right

Rule #2 It doesn't matter what you pay for whom as long as you're not wrong.

You made the OBVIOUS right decision by moving the trade through. Most guys from the outside of the trade always look at trades for face value and not HOW IT EFFECTS EACH PERSONS TEAM. The easiest example to make someone understand that concept is to lets say team A has Brady, maybe a newly found fantasy star in Vick, and maybe a surprising Orton as QB's. Team A can't start all 3. Say team A needs some RB depth and gets off of Vick for lets say Petyon Hillis or someone similar where the stat lines aren't close but it FILLS THE NEEDS of each team. You said it best, if its not obvious cheating by owners involved in trade, then trade goes through. Just my half cent.