[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Keiland Williams

Balzac

Portis seems to be off-balance...there have been some holes for him to hit and he's gotten to those spots, but little bumps (from offensive linemen or defenders) which he would have taken and kept going in previous years seem to be putting him on the turf this season.

He has not looked good at all. I would doubt that Keiland Williams is the answer, but if Washington keeps having success throwing the ball (which I find unlikely given they really only have two weapons that can be relied upon), then Williams might be a solid pick up.

WD

Well, interesting development. Redskins sign Chad Simpson to the team.

Hmm, maybe we are targeting the wrong guy here.

http://www.wboc.com/Global/story.asp?S=13200652

Seems to be valid points on both sides for picking him up or not picking him up... IMHO, comes down to what you think. I dropped Kolb to get KW, but I do have Vick & Romo also. Take a look at my sig line and you can see what RBs I also have on my team already. Injuries - whether your players , or other owner's teams - are waiting to happen. My strategy is to build a position of strength and hopefully deal for a another #1 WR to pair with AJ, hence my roster-limit of six RBs.

I grabbed Williams as a potential deep sleeper, but one word of caution to all those banking on the Shanahan effect - I think the number of previously unknown running backs who experienced success under Shanahan in Denver could just as easily be attributed to Alex Gibbs as the o-line coach on those Bronocs teams, IMO moreso than any impact that Shanahan brought to the table.

I grabbed Williams as a potential deep sleeper, but one word of caution to all those banking on the Shanahan effect - I think the number of previously unknown running backs who experienced success under Shanahan in Denver could just as easily be attributed to Alex Gibbs as the o-line coach on those Bronocs teams, IMO moreso than any impact that Shanahan brought to the table.

I'm not even concerned about the "success" component - it's the fact that Shanny is willing to give pretty much anyone an opportunity. Opportunity/touches = fantasy value. I have no illusions that Williams would ever be a RB2, let alone RB1 for fantasy purposes . . . a solid flex in a ppr league though? I think it's quite possible.

Granted Gibbs's O-line coaching skills could make anyone a better runner but someone has to be responsible for finding the RB's and I think that is Shanahan. And I am only hoping for Williams to be a solid bye week filler for me.

The offensive line's poor play has been a growing concern internally for some time, according to team sources who have watched as the first-team group has struggled during practice. With three new starters, the line already was in a state of flux to start the preseason. And that was before left guard Derrick Dockery was in danger of losing his starting job to Kory Lichtensteiger, who was out of football last season after being waived by the Minnesota Vikings in late September.

The coaching staff believes Dockery is a bad fit for Shanahan's zone blocking scheme, according to multiple people familiar with the situation. Right tackle Jammal Brown has not yet regained his Pro Bowl form after sitting out the entire 2009 season because of injuries, gifted rookie left tackle Trent Williams could miss Sunday's game against the St. Louis Rams because of knee and toe injuries, right guard Artis Hicks probably would be more effective in a backup/swing role and cerebral center Casey Rabach struggles against the league's big nose guards.

As evidenced by the Redskins' many open receivers against Houston, Shanahan is still second to none at scheming offensively. There's a reason some of his former assistants respectfully refer to him as "Moses." But there's only so much Shanahan can do with smoke and mirrors to help the running game.

All I know is this, if a kid named Andre Hall can have 28 touches in a game for Mike Shanahan, then this Keiland Williams has a shot. More sooner than later.

JUM

Yup and Portis is questionable with a wrist injury...I am sure he will start and play, but a good hit on that wrist....he coughs off the ball....might be the opportunity Williams need....

Not so fast on Williams being "the new guy":

Torain promoted by Redskins

Ryan Torain, RB WAS

News: According to 106.7 The Fan, Redskins RB Ryan Torain has been promoted from the practice squad to the 53-man roster. A corresponding move has yet to be announced.

Analysis: As the Redskins don't have much experience behind Clinton Portis, Torain could well make his way up the depth chart quickly if he proves to be worthy in practice and any game action he sees this weekend, if active. Continue to ignore him in Fantasy for now, though, as he's unlikely to see any touches on offense in Week 3.

Ryan Torain, RB WAS

News: According to 106.7 The Fan, Redskins RB Ryan Torain has been promoted from the practice squad to the 53-man roster. A corresponding move has yet to be announced.

Analysis: As the Redskins don't have much experience behind Clinton Portis, Torain could well make his way up the depth chart quickly if he proves to be worthy in practice and any game action he sees this weekend, if active. Continue to ignore him in Fantasy for now, though, as he's unlikely to see any touches on offense in Week 3.

I've said (in this thread even) that Torain will be back in the picture. I Think Torain was always part of the overall plan with Shanahan but he was sent to the practice squad while Williams wasn't and Williams overtook all the backs other than Portis. I think in the long run, it will be Williams and Torain.

Ryan Torain, RB WAS

Torain today: 7 carries for 46 yards in a true RBBC with Portis. :wacko:

the end of the Keiland Williams excitement...released today:

Keiland Williams, RB WAS

News: Washington released RB Keiland Williams on Saturday in order to add WR Brandon Banks to the 53-man roster, reports the Washington Post.

Analysis: The Redskins' starter, Clinton Portis, is dealing with an injury but Washington has not been satisfied with the guys they have to back him up. First they released Larry Johnson and now Williams is getting the boot. Williams has no Fantasy value at this time. The Redskins are left with Portis, Ryan Torain and Chad Simpson at running back.