[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vick named starter for week 3

wolfer

Here's my take.

First of all, Reid had nothing to do with the decision. Coaches just don't change their mind like this over night when an entire off-season was dedicated to grooming the QB of the future.

Motives by the management could vary from greed to common sense. I have (at least temporarily) sided with the common sense version.

I think the biggest message in this move is the admission that the Eagles O-Line SUCKS. Kolb (the future) would get killed out there and Vick (one year contract) has better tools for dealing with the rush.

Let Vick take the hits AND put a more competitive team on the field for a year then sell him after the season over for a starting QB price. Kolb stays healthy and Philly has a chance to fill the holes for next season.

...or it could just be greed and Vick has more mass appeal.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, this moves DJax into top 5 receivers under Vick.

Give McCoy a nice bump too. I'm not saying Vick-McCoy is the same as Vince Young-CJ, but teams will have to respect Vick's open field running. A spy on Vick is basically one less guy on McCoy and his inside running sure looks a lot better than last year.

I do like Jax though after thinking this over.

Garrard is not good.

Team needs something to sell tickets and ignite their fan base.

Vicks the most exciting player in the game.

A team down south could be the best fit.

Yeah I thought the Jags... maybe even the Bills.... because there seems to be a 50/50 chance of one those teams ending up in Los Angeles in 2011. Small-market blues, then Bam! What a way to energize your new city's PSL sales - by making Vick your inaugural quarterback.

Vick will never be a Titan. They don't sign big free-agents and especially won't sign any convicted felon after the way Pacman frightened the city at night. Plus the Titans have sold out 116 consecutive home games, don't need a boost there.

Carolina? Who knows? If there's a new coach and staff it's possible. Panthers mgmt obviously recalls getting burned by Vick twice a year in the NFC South.

Fun to imagine the possibilities. I'm just glad the guy accepted our country's justice system like a man, did the time, and now gets a chance to resurrect his professional career. I still wonder if he's totally separated himself from sleazy hangers-on that bring trouble. You know that will be investigated by any prospective suitor. They will have him followed by their spies-- day and night --before any contract is offered.

Carolina? Who knows? If there's a new coach and staff it's possible. Panthers mgmt obviously recalls getting burned by Vick twice a year in the NFC South.

LOL, that would be an interesting combination! They'd never have to throw the ball again with DWill, Stew and Vick running the ball like no tomorrow.

Smart move by Reid. Vick made Detroit's defense look pathetic.

Hey, wait a minute.... :wacko:

This is what I was thinking. :tup: I know vick put up 30+ points last week, but be serious. It was against the Lions secondary. I like the Lions and I think they are a much better team than they have been, but to say their CBs are mediocre is an insult to mediocre CBs. Put me in the ballpark of this likely being undone a few games down the road and then Kolb gets to look like a hero when some team has game planned for Vick and then Kolb starts throwing bullets around the field. This is a cluster-F for the money situation in Philly. I don't see anyway around that.

This is what I was thinking. :wacko: I know vick put up 30+ points last week, but be serious. It was against the Lions secondary. I like the Lions and I think they are a much better team than they have been, but to say their CBs are mediocre is an insult to mediocre CBs. Put me in the ballpark of this likely being undone a few games down the road and then Kolb gets to look like a hero when some team has game planned for Vick and then Kolb starts throwing bullets around the field. This is a cluster-F for the money situation in Philly. I don't see anyway around that.

the reason why Vick looks like a great option now is because the OL is horrible and he gets away from the rush, plus it's not as easy to gameplan against Vick anymore as he's running to throw the ball and not running the gain yards...obviously he will run with the ball occasionally, but he definitely picks his spots and mainly uses his running ability to get away from a pass rush...

he's much more difficult a player to gameplan against than what he was 3 or 4 years ago or so...

the reason why Vick looks like a great option now is because the OL is horrible and he gets away from the rush, plus it's not as easy to gameplan against Vick anymore as he's running to throw the ball and not running the gain yards...obviously he will run with the ball occasionally, but he definitely picks his spots and mainly uses his running ability to get away from a pass rush...

he's much more difficult a player to gameplan against than what he was 3 or 4 years ago or so...

Also, the eagles gameplan is much more difficult to gameplan against than what the Falcons were 3 or 4 years ago. There are open receivers all over the place that even an "unaccurate" QB can find...or he can run. Now that Vick has his physical ability back, I think he can really could put up some nice #s in this offense.

This is what I was thinking. :wacko: I know vick put up 30+ points last week, but be serious. It was against the Lions secondary. I like the Lions and I think they are a much better team than they have been, but to say their CBs are mediocre is an insult to mediocre CBs. Put me in the ballpark of this likely being undone a few games down the road and then Kolb gets to look like a hero when some team has game planned for Vick and then Kolb starts throwing bullets around the field. This is a cluster-F for the money situation in Philly. I don't see anyway around that.

Yep, huge mess now. Their idiot fans scream for Vick, obviously not thinking of the long term picture and the front office caves. No way this is Reid changing his mind. So Kolb's development goes on the back burner and who knows how long it sets him back. I would set the over/under for the old Vick reappearing at 3 games. Then what do you do, put Kolb back in? Quite a vote of confidence for the kid.

Yep, huge mess now. Their idiot fans scream for Vick, obviously not thinking of the long term picture and the front office caves. No way this is Reid changing his mind. So Kolb's development goes on the back burner and who knows how long it sets him back. I would set the over/under for the old Vick reappearing at 3 games. Then what do you do, put Kolb back in? Quite a vote of confidence for the kid.

+1

Even if Kolb gets the starter job back in a few games, this has got to kill his confidence. Add that to the fact that the Eagles have a really tough 2nd half and it's looking like a wasted season for Philly.

Give McCoy a nice bump too. I'm not saying Vick-McCoy is the same as Vince Young-CJ, but teams will have to respect Vick's open field running. A spy on Vick is basically one less guy on McCoy and his inside running sure looks a lot better than last year.

I agree with that very much. I don't necessarily agree it bumps desean jackson's value, or celek's, or maclin's. though it doesn't hurt their value much either IMO.

I agree with that very much. I don't necessarily agree it bumps desean jackson's value, or celek's, or maclin's. though it doesn't hurt their value much either IMO.

It does bump Jacksons value because they have to play more zone coverage with Vick so even if they have two on DJax and Vick starts to run, that generally will pull that safety off and Djax has the speed to get that separation. What you saw last week with D and Vick will be a common demoninator. Djax might get only 3 or 4 looks, but they will be down field so D will have large numbers with 1 or 2 TD's per game.

With Kolb, D would have had decent numbers but low WR1 numbers along with Maclin and Celek would be a high TE1. I think this moves Maclin to a high WR2 and / or Low WR1 and Celek to a low TE1 and Djax to a high WR1.

Edited by BearBroncos

If I am remembering correctly, Vick is not under contract beyond this year so I don't see the value in letting him play so the Eagles can trade him in the off season as someone earlier suggested.

they could either be trying to work a rare trade at the deadline or they could sign him long-term....Reid's job could also be on the line so wins are the most important thing right now...

Vick couldn't draw a better matchup imo. Jax is a mess, defense lacking talent from several so-so drafts. Vick isn't quite the vaporizing runner on grass but still, the Eagles completely outmatch the Jags.

and it looks like Justin Durant will be out too.