[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers' Mathews: "I have high ankle sprain"

burton

As per RotoWorld:

Ryan Mathews revealed Wednesday that he has a high ankle sprain.

It's usually a 4-6 week injury. Mathews is holding out "hope" that he'll be able to play in Week 3, saying he feels "good." The No. 12 overall pick did not practice on Wednesday, however, and his status now appears shaky at best. Mike Tolbert's chances of starting at Seattle are increasing. Darren Sproles would also be in line for an increased role, qualifying as a flex option in PPR leagues. We wouldn't bet on Mathews playing, let alone playing extensively.

sdutChargers Twitter:

After not practicing, Ryan Mathews confirms he has high ankle sprain. But he says he feels "good" and hopes to play at Seattle
Edited by burton

If he truly does (let's wait for Turner's Thursday presser) then he will miss the next 3 games for sure. Probably 4 games because that 4th one is at St. Louis - where they wouldn't need him, and wouldn't put him out there on that FieldTurf anyway. That surface is eating Steven Jackson's career for lunch.

Week 7 at home vs. New England. If indeed it's a moderate high sprain. A nastier one could mean a couple more weeks, but their bye is Week 10 so Bam....! All of the sudden it's Week 11.

We need to hear more, but I don't like the way this is looking.

JUM

nice post..........right before waivers go through in most leagues :wacko:

Hope someone in your league sees this, and you miss out on Tolbert too :tup:

He was picked up in 4 of 5 of my leagues last night, I managed to grab him in the other before posting.

Just trying to help out fellow huddlers :tup:

They don't play on AstroTurf anymore do they? Haven't they switched to Field Turf like everyone else?

according to their website, they play on:

Magic Carpet Astro Turf. There are 73,000 square feet of turf, weighing 100,000 pounds. Hydraulic winches pull the Astro Turf carpet out of a pit beneath the concrete floor. An air blower system blows air between the floor and carpet to reduce the friction of the turf being dragged across the Dome floor. After use, the turf is rolled up by the drive roll machinery in the pit. Football-ready setup time takes approximately three hours using the Magic Carpet system.

They don't play on AstroTurf anymore do they? Haven't they switched to Field Turf like everyone else?

I did say FieldTurf, and though not near as unforgiving on impact as Astroturf, there are theories that it's bringing its own set of injuries - quad, groin, etc. I subscribe to the theory, and will probably write about it this season. I once got to meet Deuce McAllister at a party and he said it was weird to "start and stop on."

Anyway I dion't want to hijack.

I'm going to pick up Tolbert in my league right now. Jamaal Charles is on bye next week and I need a 10-15 touch RB badly.

If there is even a possibility of him playing Sunday, then this aint no "high ankle sprain".

Precisely :wacko: I think we'll all have to wait for the truth in this case. There would be a "possibilty of playing" in week 5-6 (forget when their bye is) if this was a high ankle sprain.

In STL, the stadium is attached to and is a much-used part of the convention center. The stadium floor is routinely used for extra convention space, so this turf can be removed for that purpose.

More than you wanted to know, probably.

In STL, the stadium is attached to and is a much-used part of the convention center. The stadium floor is routinely used for extra convention space, so this turf can be removed for that purpose.

More than you wanted to know, probably.

Yeah, I hear ya. The Colts had the same situation at the RCA Dome. But the injuries from the AstroTurf . . . it's bad. Before the Colts moved to Lucas Oil Stadium, they went ahead and put Field Turf in the Dome and were still able to hold conventions.

If there is even a possibility of him playing Sunday, then this aint no "high ankle sprain".

I thought that too, but my orthopedics colleagues tell me alot depends on the severity of the sprain. If the bones have moved alot and the ligaments have been severely stretched, the recuperation is 4-6 weeks. If, on the other hand, the sprain is of a lesser degree, the down-time can be a week or two.

I would not recommend starting Mathews this week even if he says he's playing.

I thought that too, but my orthopedics colleagues tell me alot depends on the severity of the sprain. If the bones have moved alot and the ligaments have been severely stretched, the recuperation is 4-6 weeks. If, on the other hand, the sprain is of a lesser degree, the down-time can be a week or two.

I would not recommend starting Mathews this week even if he says he's playing.

I was at the game on Sunday and after he jogged out from the tunnel I could see he hopping up and down ready for his number to be called, which lead me to believe it was nothing more than a minor tweak, which lead me to not put a claim in on tolbert (waivers processed last night). Hope it's not a severe one

I was at the game on Sunday and after he jogged out from the tunnel I could see he hopping up and down ready for his number to be called, which lead me to believe it was nothing more than a minor tweak, which lead me to not put a claim in on tolbert (waivers processed last night). Hope it's not a severe one

I was at the game too. I don't think he'll be affected long, but Norv will probably be very cautious in how much he lets Mathews play.

I was at the game too. I don't think he'll be affected long, but Norv will probably be very cautious in how much he lets Mathews play.

exactly..the last thing they wanna do is rush him back with a heavy workload just to re-aggravate it. It's too bad (for mathews owners)he got injured, their schedule looks pretty juicy the next 4 weeks

Ryan Mathews (high ankle sprain) seemed to acknowledge Wednesday that he's unlikely to play in Week 3.

Mathews called his injury "something that could be a week (of missed time), if I don't treat it right could be six weeks." Added the rookie, "(Chargers doctors) are going to take precautionary measures to make sure my career isn't going to be upset over an ankle." The best "precautionary measure" would be to hold Mathews out at Seattle. We tentatively expect Mike Tolbert to start. September 23 - 12:46 a.m. ET