[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Osso Bucco

fingfootball

while you can do it many ways, there are primarily 2 "types." a more modern version with tomatoes, carrots, celery,onions, and a more traditional version which has some cinnamon, bay leaves and gremolata.

here is one i like:

6-8 thick pieces of veal shank (should include the bone)

4 carrots, minced

4 celery stalks, minced

2 lbs plum tomatoes

1 bunch parsley

4 tbs butter

1/2 c ap flour

6 tbs olive oil

1 c white wine (orvietto or pinot grigio)

1 c beef stock (+ enough to moisten throughout cooking)

3 med onions, minced

3 cloves of garlic, minced

1/2 tsp thyme

1/2 tsp oregano

2 bay leaves

s&p

for gremolata:

2 lemons

2 bunches of parsley

5 cloves of garlic

preheat oven to 350. melt butter. saute carrots, celery, onion (add garlic towards the end to not burn) until slightly golden brown. remove pan from heat. wrap shank with butcher's twine. dredge in flour (i like to season my flour). heat oil in frying pan and bown both sides of shanks. remove from pan and place on top of veg (in a casserole dish or something like it). deglaze pan with wine. bring to a boil and reduce to several oz. bring some water to a boil. scald tomatoes and peel and seed them. chop them into 1-2 inch pieces. to the saute pan with the reduced juices and wine add beefs stock, parsley, thyme, oregano, bay leaves, and tomatoes. simmer and add s&p. pour sauce over veal. cover and place in the oven for about 2- 3 hours. occationally baste with more beef stock....

gremolata:

grate lemon peel. mix with parsley and garlic.

i like serving with risotto or polenta (either creamy or as cakes).

eta: for kicks, i have also done this with red wine. turned out very good, just not as traditional.

Edited by Bier Meister

while you can do it many ways, there are primarily 2 "types." a more modern version with tomatoes, carrots, celery,onions, and a more traditional version which has some cinnamon, bay leaves and gremolata.

here is one i like:

6-8 thick pieces of veal shank (should include the bone)

4 carrots, minced

4 celery stalks, minced

2 lbs plum tomatoes

1 bunch parsley

4 tbs butter

1/2 c ap flour

6 tbs olive oil

1 c white wine (orvietto or pinot grigio)

1 c beef stock (+ enough to moisten throughout cooking)

3 med onions, minced

3 cloves of garlic, minced

1/2 tsp thyme

1/2 tsp oregano

2 bay leaves

s&p

for gremolata:

2 lemons

2 bunches of parsley

5 cloves of garlic

preheat oven to 350. melt butter. saute carrots, celery, onion (add garlic towards the end to not burn) until slightly golden brown. remove pan from heat. wrap shank with butcher's twine. dredge in flour (i like to season my flour). heat oil in frying pan and bown both sides of shanks. remove from pan and place on top of veg (in a casserole dish or something like it). deglaze pan with wine. bring to a boil and reduce to several oz. bring some water to a boil. scald tomatoes and peel and seed them. chop them into 1-2 inch pieces. to the saute pan with the reduced juices and wine add beefs stock, parsley, thyme, oregano, bay leaves, and tomatoes. simmer and add s&p. pour sauce over veal. cover and place in the oven for about 2- 3 hours. occationally baste with more beef stock....

gremolata:

grate lemon peel. mix with parsley and garlic.

i like serving with risotto or polenta (either creamy or as cakes).

eta: for kicks, i have also done this with red wine. turned out very good, just not as traditional.

The wife and I made a close version of this just last weekend. It was nice, tho she prefers to serve it with pasta.