[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Once Again let's talk about a Premium Advice Service

cre8tiff

Hey DMD,

I bring this up every year, and it SOUNDS like a good idea and a money maker for you guys, but maybe there is a risk involved, I don't know.

There are a lot of folks here that spend $$ on thier leagues. Now if they are like any FF player, they could use some good, specific advice on who to start, pick up or general strategy.

So why not offer a premium advice service where folks to log in, pay a fee, (say $5.00) and send a PM to a group mailbox that your writers (experts) monitor. Whomever wants to answer the question can, the huddle pockets a percent and the answerer gets the remainder. Kinda like the way experts exchange works.

Seems like a win-win for everyone. We get access to some really good football minds for truly tough and pivotal questions. The huddle recoups any coding time and creates another revenue stream to keep DMD in firearms. And the writers get a chance to make some change on the side, which I am certain they could use, too.

Now what are the pitfalls to that business plan? Some sort of liability if the advice doesn't work out? Have an online agreement that must be clicked before submitting a question.

Too many questions? Can you really make too much money? The experts could answer the message in seconds.

I just don't see the downside.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While I am all for anything that helps me buy new firearms - not that I own any of course - the reality is that there are tens of thousands of members and there is no way we could answer the potential deluge of mail given how busy we already are producing what we have. One on one stuff takes a lot of time.

While I am all for anything that helps me buy new firearms - not that I own any of course - the reality is that there are tens of thousands of members and there is no way we could answer the potential deluge of mail given how busy we already are producing what we have. One on one stuff takes a lot of time.

I can see that.

Potentially, this sort of thing could be a full-time job for someone. Perhaps as a way to throttle down the numbers, you raise the price.

Do any of your writers have a "day job" they would like to take time from for this endeavor?

The only reason I ask is I have friends who are free-lance writers and they are ALWAYS hungry. :wacko:

Anyway, it seems there is a good business opportunity here.

making extra $$ is always nice but I will say that basically I start my weekly article on Tuesday evenings (unless I am off like today and start earlier) and don't finish until usually late thursday nite....during that time I don't actually have much time to even post on the board when someone posts a question in the IDP forum...oh and then on Fridays after work it usually takes me another 1 1/2 to 2 hours to do the injury updates...i cant speak for others but pushing out article(s) takes longer than most would probably expect.

making extra $$ is always nice but I will say that basically I start my weekly article on Tuesday evenings (unless I am off like today and start earlier) and don't finish until usually late thursday nite....during that time I don't actually have much time to even post on the board when someone posts a question in the IDP forum...oh and then on Fridays after work it usually takes me another 1 1/2 to 2 hours to do the injury updates...i cant speak for others but pushing out article(s) takes longer than most would probably expect.

My column generally takes 10-12 hours to complete, and that is a feature without much if any "number crunching." I think you could conceivably have one dedicated person on staff to do the one on one's, but the time it would consume would be horrendous, and that individual would probably eventually end up perched in a tower with a high powered rifle.

Tens of thousands of members (how many tens...3?) If you charge $5 for this, it's $50,000 per 10,000 in revenue if you just force people to pay by bumping the membership fee. It's a 24/7 gig that has to be manned.

If you could get them member base to swallow that pill, then it could be a winner financially. Of course, if you lose 15% of your members going up that much in annual fee, then it's a loser.

Tough game to play.

My column generally takes 10-12 hours to complete, and that is a feature without much if any "number crunching." I think you could conceivably have one dedicated person on staff to do the one on one's, but the time it would consume would be horrendous, and that individual would probably eventually end up perched in a tower with a high powered rifle.

:wacko: For that old thing?

:oldrazz:

:wacko: For that old thing?

:oldrazz:

Just think how long it would take if it was actually any good!

ROTFLMAO, that was hella funny. I can picture it, "Hey man you answer those last few advice posts before you leave K". Dude I have been on this thing for 10 hours now, answering the same questions for the most part. What's more important vilocity or stopping power?

Tens of thousands of members (how many tens...3?) If you charge $5 for this, it's $50,000 per 10,000 in revenue if you just force people to pay by bumping the membership fee. It's a 24/7 gig that has to be manned.

If you could get them member base to swallow that pill, then it could be a winner financially. Of course, if you lose 15% of your members going up that much in annual fee, then it's a loser.

Tough game to play.

That's why I thought the per question pay plan is the most solid. That way, you don't lose the base, and only those who need specific questions pay. I doubt any of the "free leagues" players would use that service, but those of use with real money on the line just might.

I don't think that 10K worth of questions is viable, but a sample of say 10% of the base asking a single question over the course of the year is well within the realm of possibility.

That would be 1,000 questions. 5,000 dollars. if the huddle scoops $1 for the privilege of hosting the service, that leaves $4,000. Say each question takes 30 seconds to answer (Most would take less, I'd wage).

That is 30, 000 seconds/60/60 = 8.33 hours of work over the course of the season.

Comes out to $480.00/hr. Even if the questions are double that, that is tough money not to even look at.

Seems all the answers are in the Start/Bench & Game Predictions.

What would be an example question that you can't get an answer to, with the info that is already provided?

Should I start Peyton Hillis against Baltimore this week. He has been solid for two weeks now but it's Baltimore, on the road, and i need to win this week. Here is my dough, what do you say?

That's why I thought the per question pay plan is the most solid. That way, you don't lose the base, and only those who need specific questions pay. I doubt any of the "free leagues" players would use that service, but those of use with real money on the line just might.

I don't think that 10K worth of questions is viable, but a sample of say 10% of the base asking a single question over the course of the year is well within the realm of possibility.

That would be 1,000 questions. 5,000 dollars. if the huddle scoops $1 for the privilege of hosting the service, that leaves $4,000. Say each question takes 30 seconds to answer (Most would take less, I'd wage).

That is 30, 000 seconds/60/60 = 8.33 hours of work over the course of the season.

Comes out to $480.00/hr. Even if the questions are double that, that is tough money not to even look at.

Maybe you should quit your day job :wacko:

The case may be there are 10's of thousands for members, but since this would be a paid feature, I'm sure only a small % would use it. Maybe 200-500 questions per week at $5 a piece. $1000-$2500 per week in additional revenue to pay a full time "Know-it-all"

The fantasy advice forum has become a joke of sorts and while many try to offer advice, it's rarely based on knowledge.

I don't know if I would use this feature, but I would guarantee many to most noob FFer's would love it.

Your not talking about a ton of time here, just answering a lineup question with a one line summarization of your thoughts.

Who wants to be the Huddle GURU ?

Should I start Peyton Hillis against Baltimore this week. He has been solid for two weeks now but it's Baltimore, on the road, and i need to win this week. Here is my dough, what do you say?

You compare Hillis to your other options, in the GP & S/B. That is your answer. :wacko:

Does everyone have $ to throw away? You should hold on to it a little tighter.

What would be an example question that you can't get an answer to, with the info that is already provided?

On Friday or Saturday they should have a master sheet that has projections and Start/Bench status side by side. It is annoying looking for it on two different pages and it would be beneficial to have it all in one place. I do like the commentary of both, but by Saturday we have read everything and are usually on fence and would like to see just the final verdict of each.

Just an idea.

Charging per question is risky because when you guess wrong, people can get pissed off and the volume can be too great to handle which can piss people off too. Projections is the best way because you aren't picking for people but giving tools.

For example:

I am in a league with a forced short bench (allowed to keep one WR only)

As a result, we have a rich waiver wire.

So I would like these guy's advice on which WR to pick up, based on my leagues scoring and what the rest of the season holds.

Sure the waiver wIre pickup says something, as does game predictions and start/bench.

But if say, Kevin Walter and Jeremy Macklin both have upside, both have similar stats, and both tend to trend as a S2, which way should a person go?

Most folks here would likely say, "Decide for yourself". I'm cool with that. But I scarcely believe that this service wouldn't be a benefit that NOBODY else offers. (Of course, maybe ther is a reason for that.)

if it ended up becoming a day job and was worth it then it would be considerable...it just depends on how many people would pay for it and how much time would have to be dedicated..

it still would be a pain for anyone to do....

But if say, Kevin Walter and Jeremy Macklin both have upside, both have similar stats, and both tend to trend as a S2, which way should a person go?

Well, that would be Macklin, duh. :wacko:

JK, in that scenario, I would incorporate the Rest of Season rankings into the mix.

My point is, their opinions are somewhere, already. Would you really rather pay, than click a few buttons?