[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Meatloaf

Thews40

I have done tons.

Sad thing is, while the kicked up versions are always good, the classic Lawry's packet with a pound of ground beef is always good.

I've done BBQ meatloafs, Asian style meatloafs, some where I mixed different meats such as beef, pork and veal, some with veggies added in, some with bread as a filler, etc. Sometimes I make the "loaf" and sometimes I have done what friends and family now affectionately call "Meatloaf Muffins" by using a muffin pan instead of forming the mix into a loaf and baking it.

The BBQ one is simple, just sweat some red onion down then add it to the meat and mix using your favorite BBQ sauce as the liquid in place of egg/milk to moisten it up. I personally like to use Bullseye for this. Put some BBQ sauce on top of the loaf so it bakes in to a nice crust.

ETA: I really don't measure much of anything when it comes to spices, I kinda have a feel for how much needs to go in from having done this so many times. I'm thinking my approximations are close. But, these are the basic ingredients you need.

2 lbs ground beef

1 lb ground pork

2 eggs

worcetshire sauce (however the f you spell it about 1 tb sp, do it by feel)

1 medium yellow or sweet onion finely chopped

1 bell pepper ^

Bread crumbs, 1/2 cup or so... I use progresso.

2 tsp basil

2 to 3 cloves garlic

pinch of celery seed

2 tsp Paprika

1/4 + cup Catsup (I kinda do it by feel, I like Heinz, though they support commie legislators)

Salt to taste

probably about 1 tsp of pepper

1 to 2 tsp of onion powder (sometimes I will use a bag of Campbell's dried onion soup instead, works great. Put less salt in if doing this)

I think that is about it... Mix this mess upwith your bare hands, it's fun. One word of advice, let the meat get to room temp before mixing, your hands will freeze if you pull straight outta fridge and start mixing.

Make two loaves, cook at 375 for about an hour, hour 15.

Sometimes I'll put a tsp or two of sage in there as well, adds a nice twist to it.

Edited by SEC=UGA

ETA: I really don't measure much of anything when it comes to spices, I kinda have a feel for how much needs to go in from having done this so many times. I'm thinking my approximations are close. But, these are the basic ingredients you need.

2 lbs ground beef

1 lb ground pork

2 eggs

1 bell pepper ^

2 tsp basil

2 to 3 cloves garlic

pinch of celery seed

2 tsp Paprika

1/4 + cup Catsup (I kinda do it by feel, I like Heinz, though they support commie legislators)

Salt to taste

1 to 2 tsp of onion powder (sometimes I will use a bag of Campbell's dried onion soup instead, works great. Put less salt in if doing this)

I think that is about it... Mix this mess upwith your bare hands, it's fun. One word of advice, let the meat get to room temp before mixing, your hands will freeze if you pull straight outta fridge and start mixing.

Sometimes I'll put a tsp or two of sage in there as well, adds a nice twist to it.

Danka. I'm gonna make this tomorrow night... with a few mods.

Cajun Turkey Meatloaf

2 lbs ground turkey

2 eggs lightly beaten

1/2 cup unseasoned bread crumbs

3 Tbs butter

1/4 cup evaporated milk

3/4 cup finely chopped onions

3/4 cup finely chopped celery

1/2 cup finely chopped green bell peppers

1 Tbs plus 1 tsp minced garlic

1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp Tabasco

2 tsp cayenne pepper

1 1/2 tsp black pepper

1 1/4 tsp white pepper

1 1/2 tsp kosher salt

3/4 tsp ground cumin

3/4 tsp dried thyme leaves

Combine the cayenne pepper, black pepper, white pepper, kosher salt, cumin and thyme leaves together and set aside.

In a large bowl, mix the turkey, eggs and bread crumbs together, set aside.

In a small sauce pan over medium high heat, melt the butter then add the onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, and spice mix. Saute for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and let cool.

Add the sauteed vegetable mixture and the evaporated milk to the meat and mix well by hand. Form into a loaf and bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.

Cajun Turkey Meatloaf

2 lbs ground turkey

2 eggs lightly beaten

1/2 cup unseasoned bread crumbs

3 Tbs butter

1/4 cup evaporated milk

3/4 cup finely chopped onions

3/4 cup finely chopped celery

1/2 cup finely chopped green bell peppers

1 Tbs plus 1 tsp minced garlic

1 Tbs Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp Tabasco

2 tsp cayenne pepper

1 1/2 tsp black pepper

1 1/4 tsp white pepper

1 1/2 tsp kosher salt

3/4 tsp ground cumin

3/4 tsp dried thyme leaves

Combine the cayenne pepper, black pepper, white pepper, kosher salt, cumin and thyme leaves together and set aside.

In a large bowl, mix the turkey, eggs and bread crumbs together, set aside.

In a small sauce pan over medium high heat, melt the butter then add the onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, and spice mix. Saute for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and let cool.

Add the sauteed vegetable mixture and the evaporated milk to the meat and mix well by hand. Form into a loaf and bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.

Might have to try this.

Hot Cajun Gravy

This is excellent over the meat loaf

3/4 cup chopped onions

1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper

1/4 cup chopped celery

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1/4 cup plus 1 Tbs all purpose white flour

3/4 tsp cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp white pepper

1/2 tsp black pepper

2 bay leaves

1/4 cup minced jalapeno (1 large or 2 small peppers)

1 tsp minced garlic

3 cups chicken stock

Combine the onions, celery and bell peppers then set aside while you start the roux.

In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Whisk in the flour 1 tablespoon at a time until all is blended in (no clumps). Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the roux is light brown (5 or so minutes). Stir in the vegetable mixture along with the cayenne, white and black peppers and cook for about two minutes, stirring constantly. Add the bay leaves, jalapeno and garlic and continue cooking for another two minutes, still stirring constantly. This should be a thick, gloopy mixture. Remove from heat.

In a three quart saucepan, bring the stock to a boil. Add the roux mixture by the spoonful to the stock, stirring until each spoonful is dissolved before adding the next. Bring the mixture back to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

2 lbs ground beef

1 lb ground pork

2 eggs

1 bell pepper ^

2 tsp basil

2 to 3 cloves garlic

pinch of celery seed

2 tsp Paprika

Salt to taste

Made this last night with some twists... red onions and green onions and some Jimmy Dean sausage crumbles, but it came out great. I'll try the gravy in the next batch.

I do a simple version that is fast and easy.

Ground chuck 1.5 lb

Saute white onions (one medium sized) and celery slices

2 eggs

bread crumbs, plain, about 3/4 cup (wheat germ is actually a vey healthy option and tastes just as good)

a sprinkle of garlic, salt and pepper

italian tomato sauce not too much, about 1/3 cup

Mix it together by hand. Add raw sliced bacon over the top. Oven at 350, after a hafl hour, spoon more tomato sauce over the top. Return to oven for another 25 minutes.

This takes less than an hour and a half total, closer to 75 minutes. Good weeknight semi fast meal. Even faster if you prepare the loaf the nite before and fridge it.

I like to serve with mashed potato, even if it's that flaked stuff which takes no time to make. Then, heat simple canned peeled tomato in water, use the water with some butter for a gravy, it's awesome on a mashed potato volcano with butter. Peas and carrots along with the peeled tomato for side dishes. Makes for very tasty sandwiches as a leftover. Great brown bag lunch.

I want you.

I need you.

but there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you,

so don't be sad

... because 2 outta 3 ain't bad

Oh, not that Meatloaf :wacko:

before we go any futher do you love me

will you love me forever will you need me?

will you make me so happy fo rthe rest of my life,

will you take me away, will you... um, nevermind.