[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do I dare bench Megatron?

Big F'n Dave

Not a WDIS, per se, just curious as to what other CJ owners are doing during his struggles. I expect him to be back where he belongs once Stafford's back on the field, but it's killing me watching one of my studs flounder. I could go with Clayton this week (I see he's projected high), but I shudder to think about Johnson going off for 140/2 while sitting on my bench. :wacko:

I have to think Detroit will be playing from behind this game. Best isn't 100% and the true weekness of Detroit is their cornerbacks. Arodgers should throw darts all over that field and put the Lions behind early. If they have to throw for 3/4 of the game, I don't see CJ held to low numbers. Other than Woodson I don't know if the GB secondary is even fully healthy yet. I have no idea how to project STL but I'm fairly sure Johnson will put up decent to good stats (70 - 100 + 1TD).

Megatron? C'mon BFD.

After 3 games, Johnson has 14 catches for 141 yards and 1 TD. He's # 37 in WR scoring. He's not a stud and I don't think that he's been close to one since his rookie year,

There are serious questions about whether this guy has what it takes to be an elite WR. If just being big and fast is all it took, he'd pretty much be unstoppable.

Sure, if you start 3 WRs, its pretty damn hard to sit him because of his "potential" for a big game. But I think that people often overlook Johnson's performance because of that potential.

:wacko:

After 3 games, Johnson has 14 catches for 141 yards and 1 TD.

Which absolutely should be ~170 and 2TD's. He'd be just a couple points behind AJ if not for a stupid, stupid NFL rule. With Shaun Hill "throwing" him the ball.

Johnson is a stud and plays on a team that is going to have to throw the ball a lot this year. When Stafford is back, I still expect him to bust out and catch for a LOT of yards.

Which absolutely should be ~170 and 2TD's. He'd be just a couple points behind AJ if not for a stupid, stupid NFL rule. With Shaun Hill "throwing" him the ball.

if you're referring to the Chicago play, that's just illustrative of part of my point. Do you think Andre Johnson or Randy Moss or any elite receiver would have been as careless with the ball as Johnson was?

I don't know if its desire or smarts or whatever, but Johnson is missing something that the truly elite WRs have.

if you're referring to the Chicago play, that's just illustrative of part of my point. Do you think Andre Johnson or Randy Moss or any elite receiver would have been as careless with the ball as Johnson was?

I don't know if its desire or smarts or whatever, but Johnson is missing something that the truly elite WRs have.

it's called a quarterback...

what did andre johnson do before he had schaub? what did randy moss do in oak with those trashy qb's?

Edited by captain77

Megatron? C'mon BFD.

After 3 games, Johnson has 14 catches for 141 yards and 1 TD. He's # 37 in WR scoring. He's not a stud and I don't think that he's been close to one since his rookie year,

There are serious questions about whether this guy has what it takes to be an elite WR. If just being big and fast is all it took, he'd pretty much be unstoppable.

Sure, if you start 3 WRs, its pretty damn hard to sit him because of his "potential" for a big game. But I think that people often overlook Johnson's performance because of that potential.

"He's not a stud and I don't think that he's been close to one since his rookie year."

REALLY?

2007: his rookie year he had 48 catches for 756 yds and 4td

2008: 78 catches 1331 yards and 12 tds

2009: 67 catches 984 yards and 5 tds AND he got hurt and so did his QB.

how was his rookie year his best year? please go over the facts before you spew out an opinion that does not hold any water. i can see and understand why people don't think calvin is a stud. he has not lived up to his potential BUT please look at his numbers before throwing out false info.

Edited by captain77

"He's not a stud and I don't think that he's been close to one since his rookie year."

REALLY?

how was his rookie year his best year? please go over the facts before you spew out an opinion that does not hold any water. i can see and understand why people don't think calvin is a stud. he has not lived up to his potential BUT please look at his numbers before throwing out false info.

Obviously I mispoke. I was talking about his second year.

Thank you for pointing that out Mr. Helper. Now please, get over yourself.

REALLY?

Rage much?

last year, the year after his big year, he got hurt along with his ROOKIE qb getting hurt. not too many wr's post good numbers with rookie qb's or when they get hurt.

Furd: not trying to start a message board battle with you (so i apologize for the way i phrased my statement about your opinion) but all i'm saying is this is his 4th year and he is off to a slow start again AND his qb is also hurt again.

"There are serious questions about whether this guy has what it takes to be an elite WR. If just being big and fast is all it took, he'd pretty much be unstoppable."

how many years did it take for andre johnson to become "elite"? was it because of his desire or intellect? or was he on a bad team with no O line or qb?

do you think if calvin was on gb, hou, no or ne his numbers would be astronomically better? i do. now this is not the case, you draft calvin knowing he is on det with a second year qb not one of those high powered offenses. at this point in his career he has not been an elite wr but i would not be so quick to say it is all because of lack of smarts or desire. there are other variables involved...injuries, o line, qb. when you draft calvin you know the risk and the hopeful reward.

Edited by captain77

Well, setting aside whether Johnson is an "elite" receiver of not, fantasy football is all about the numbers. QB, OL, injuries, offensive schemes and everything else has to be taken into account.

I believe that Johnson's ff value is inflated because of his potential - you know, he's so big and fast. Ooh, aah.

His career averages are remarkably similar to Greg Jennings (although Jennings has been in the league for a year longer.) They both had hugh years in 2008. Both tailed off a bit in 2009. Both are off to rough starts in 2010.

if you suggest that you're going to bench Jennings, you'll get a measured response. On the other hand, suggest that you're going to bench "Megatron" and your likely to get the typical "Calvin's a stud, you can't bench him" or some type of overwrought or emotional response. People defend that guy like no other.

I find it kind of remarkable.

Well, setting aside whether Johnson is an "elite" receiver of not, fantasy football is all about the numbers. QB, OL, injuries, offensive schemes and everything else has to be taken into account.

I believe that Johnson's ff value is inflated because of his potential - you know, he's so big and fast. Ooh, aah.

His career averages are remarkably similar to Greg Jennings (although Jennings has been in the league for a year longer.) They both had hugh years in 2008. Both tailed off a bit in 2009. Both are off to rough starts in 2010.

if you suggest that you're going to bench Jennings, you'll get a measured response. On the other hand, suggest that you're going to bench "Megatron" and your likely to get the typical "Calvin's a stud, you can't bench him" or some type of overwrought or emotional response. People defend that guy like no other.

I find it kind of remarkable.

Calvin and Greg do have similar stat lines... though I hardly consider 2 tds in 3 games a slow start.

Let's keep it simple for you. Lob up a ball to 5'10" jennings to catch vs. a CB and a Safety.... and Lob up a ball to 6'5" calvin johnson vs. a CB and a safety... which would u prefer?

Calvin and Greg do have similar stat lines... though I hardly consider 2 tds in 3 games a slow start.

Let's keep it simple for you. Lob up a ball to 5'10" jennings to catch vs. a CB and a Safety.... and Lob up a ball to 6'5" calvin johnson vs. a CB and a safety... which would u prefer?

Let's keep this simple also.

One of the top QB's throwing to Jennings OR Hill/Stafford throwing to CJ.

Goes both ways. If ALL things were equal CJ clearly is more talented than Jennings, no doubt there, but they aren't.

Not sure how this turned into a CJ/Jennings thread, but between those two I think they are and will be very close in terms of fantasy production at season's end. Both are top 10ish WR's IMO and good buy low guys today. I'd go slight edge to CJ becaue he is THE guy there, but it's close today forward.

Megatron? C'mon BFD.

You gotta be kiddin. He is very good...the play calling in Detroit is HORRIBLE. They play like the Titans did when Schwartz was there and do not utilize their best player. The QB is afraid to throw into coverage because he doesn't want to lose his job throwing a pick. So they throw to these other guys who are good options to move them a bit but not enough to open it up. It is pathetic how Detroit runs their offense

You gotta be kiddin. He is very good...the play calling in Detroit is HORRIBLE. They play like the Titans did when Schwartz was there and do not utilize their best player. The QB is afraid to throw into coverage because he doesn't want to lose his job throwing a pick. So they throw to these other guys who are good options to move them a bit but not enough to open it up. It is pathetic how Detroit runs their offense

Uhh... couldn't agree more. TWO... i say again.. TWO of Detroits Tight ends, sheffler and pettigrew have 19 and 20 targets through week3.

Just for comparison.. Dallas clark is at 27, Antonio Gates is at 26, Vernon is at 25.