[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Is this bad to do?

APinMN

So my oppentant still has Witten in his line up......is it wrong to drop my D player to pick up NE's Hernandez, then drop him right away for NE's Mayo to get my D player for the week back in? This keeps a good option at TE away from him if he checks tonight or tomorrow morning....but is it dirty play?

(I wont do this till after tonights game starts because he could get Boss or someone from tonights game)

So my oppentant still has Witten in his line up......is it wrong to drop my D player to pick up NE's Hernandez, then drop him right away for NE's Mayo to get my D player for the week back in? This keeps a good option at TE away from him if he checks tonight or tomorrow morning....but is it dirty play?

(I wont do this till after tonights game starts because he could get Boss or someone from tonights game)

If you have to ask...

Yeah, it wasnt sounding nice/ethical....kinda wish I had an open spot/ scrub spot so I could pick him up outright (but with all my RB injuries (Rice, Best, PT) I dont want to give up RB depth) and hold him till Gates is on bye...

We charge transaction fees in our league to prevent this kind of transaction churning.

I actually had this happen to me in a league that has transactions fees. I was annoyed about the situation, but I didn't consider it Megan Foxy since the guy paid his money to make the transaction.

I actually had this happen to me in a league that has transactions fees. I was annoyed about the situation, but I didn't consider it Megan Foxy since the guy paid his money to make the transaction.

Yes ... the point of the transaction fee is so that you have to pay to employ this strategy. In our league each subsequent transaction in a week costs $1 more than the last transaction.

Additionally any player dropped is locked until the next waiver period at which point that player is available to everybody with a round of worst to first priority.

Any league that allows add/drops from 1:00 on Sun through the end of the Monday night game is just ridiculous IMO. No league should benefit owners that simply sit on their laptops all day Sun and Mon night.... I'd never pay $$ to be in a league that does so. Sorry for the rant.............

if your league allows it and you're rewarded by doing so, then why not? It's a weak move in my opinion, but if some other owner would do the same, then why not exploit the rules to the fullest extent? If there's money involved and it's allowed, then all the power to you....

Edited by joeyb7

Any league that allows add/drops from 1:00 on Sun through the end of the Monday night game is just ridiculous IMO. No league should benefit owners that simply sit on their laptops all day Sun and Mon night.... I'd never pay $$ to be in a league that does so. Sorry for the rant.............

that's an antiquated argument. Cell phones mean you don't have to sit at home all day anymore

that's an antiquated argument. Cell phones mean you don't have to sit at home all day anymore

Come on man...I'm not in the stone age here. I hear your point, but anybody I know that either has kids or a life doesn't want add/drops during games. I really don't want to be concerned about player performance while I'm golfing on Sunday or spending time visiting family. Add/drops during games also means squat in terms of whether or not you're making good decisions about who to add/drop....you're simply online at the time and that's it. I prefer to have the first add/drop opportunity to be on Tues. night via a waiver process. This way you not only don't have to be tuned into every game and be online, but you also have to make informed decisions that could have an adverse affect on your waiver spot on a weekly basis.

I'd never spend $1 on any league that allowed you to make transactions during games. I know I don't speak for everyone, but i don't know who would spend $$ on any league that benefits people who happen to be online at the right time and not the smartest owners.

Edited by joeyb7

I don't really see anything wrong with it.. I mean it's a strategy really. If the commissioner wants to combat it (it's an option on Yahoo as one of my leagues has this feature turned on) - he'll set up the league where the player you pick up has to stay on your roster for at least 1 day (not required to), but if he doesn't then he's immediately a free agent again.

Slightly different topic - A few years ago in a 12 team league, there weren't too many quality QBs left on the waiver wire. Looking ahead a week, the guy I was playing against had his weekly starter going on bye with no backup. What did I do? I picked up the only 3 QBs worth a damn and they all rode my bench. He ended up going with a scrub and low and behold, lost by a few points.

It's all a strategy!

I don't really see anything wrong with it.. I mean it's a strategy really. If the commissioner wants to combat it (it's an option on Yahoo as one of my leagues has this feature turned on) - he'll set up the league where the player you pick up has to stay on your roster for at least 1 day (not required to), but if he doesn't then he's immediately a free agent again.

Slightly different topic - A few years ago in a 12 team league, there weren't too many quality QBs left on the waiver wire. Looking ahead a week, the guy I was playing against had his weekly starter going on bye with no backup. What did I do? I picked up the only 3 QBs worth a damn and they all rode my bench. He ended up going with a scrub and low and behold, lost by a few points.

It's all a strategy!

You're right, it is all about strategy. But, wouldn't you rather focus on the game and player potential rather than winning via loopholes? I know winning is winning, but......

Call me biased, but I stopped playing in the yahoo style whatever goes leagues awhile ago once I started playing for more $$.

You're right, it is all about strategy. But, wouldn't you rather focus on the game and player potential rather than winning via loopholes? I know winning is winning, but......

Call me biased, but I stopped playing in the yahoo style whatever goes leagues awhile ago once I started playing for more $$.

The thing about the Yahoo style "anything goes" leagues is that the competition is usually easier. I know that's the reason I'm still in one. I'm a lock to make the playoffs in that league, as about half the owners are clueless.

Now, to add food for thought -

If the OP was not churning the player, but rather would be keeping Hernandez rostered, I would not have an issue with it. It's a legitimate play.

One reason why I am a big advocate of having a rule in place that all players that are picked up in a given week must remain on the roster until the following week. It prevents the churn and burn, but still allows for strategic blocking pickups, as I like to call them.

As to the no pickups after the first game, I agree that once a player has played, he should not be allowed to be picked up, but with the advent of league management systems and the ability in many leagues to change lineups up until a players game time, I have no issue with allowing owners to pick up players that have not played yet. IMO, it is best to have the pickup synced with lineups, so if you allow lineup changes until a players kickoff, you allow pickups, and if you freeze lineups at the start of the Sunday morning kickoff, you freeze pickups then to.

With the above, you eliminate the sitting on a computer picking up the backup RB to a player that has gone down because those players are locked, but you allow owners to make last minute changes due to late breaking news or deactivations.

Now, to add food for thought -

If the OP was not churning the player, but rather would be keeping Hernandez rostered, I would not have an issue with it. It's a legitimate play.

One reason why I am a big advocate of having a rule in place that all players that are picked up in a given week must remain on the roster until the following week. It prevents the churn and burn, but still allows for strategic blocking pickups, as I like to call them.

As to the no pickups after the first game, I agree that once a player has played, he should not be allowed to be picked up, but with the advent of league management systems and the ability in many leagues to change lineups up until a players game time, I have no issue with allowing owners to pick up players that have not played yet. IMO, it is best to have the pickup synced with lineups, so if you allow lineup changes until a players kickoff, you allow pickups, and if you freeze lineups at the start of the Sunday morning kickoff, you freeze pickups then to.

With the above, you eliminate the sitting on a computer picking up the backup RB to a player that has gone down because those players are locked, but you allow owners to make last minute changes due to late breaking news or deactivations.

I agree with everyhting Big Country said above. Our league adopted the rule BC alludes to for this exact reason - allows for strategic blocking pickups, but there has to be some cost involved to the franchise doing the blocking.

And waiver wire/free agent rules should be synched up with lineup rules, IMO.