[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best Wing Recipe Ever

SEC=UGA

Ok, guys. I'm starting to like some of you, so I'm going to share this with you...

My parents got this recipe from a now deceased friend of my now deceased aunt some 25 years ago and they are awesome. We call them Charlie's chicken wings, after Charlie the man from whom we got the recipe. I haven't had them in a decade or so, because it is a little tedious, but as i remember they are the best ever.

Here is the recipe... I hope a little bit of Charlie lives on in his wings and that you all enjoy them as much as we once enjoyed his company.

25 Chicken Wings

1/2 c soy sauce

4 green onions (White part cut 1" lengths)

1c water

4T brown sugar

1 1/2 ts Powdered Ginger

Cut tips and disjoint (save for stock)

Put all into large sauce pan.

Boil on Med High heat. Simmer wings 1 and 1/2 hours.

Remove from liquid and let cool.

GLAZE

1/2 c Apricot jam

1 T Veg. Oil

2 T soy sauce

1/2 ts meat glaze (Kichen Bouquet)

1 clove garlic crushed

Combine in small bowl. Dip wings into mixture and arrange in broiler pan.

Broil 5" from heat for 5 min. on one side. Turn over and baste for 5 more minutes.

:wacko:

I know, sounds like a long time... I'd probably err on the one hour side of it, but it doesn't seem to have a negative effect cooking them for that length of time.

why so long Bier?

well...... it's a simmer, not a boil. whenever i have done this (for ribs also) i season the water... so you are tenderizing them, cooking off some fat, and adding flavor. i end up roasting or frying anyway so you get your crispy wings.

Definitely want to give both recipes a shot I've struggled with wings before.

Jimmy: Do you marinate the wings in the sauce for a period of time or is it a toss them in, get them covered and cook them, or is it a cook them and then toss them in and coat them routine?

WD

Definitely want to give both recipes a shot I've struggled with wings before.

Jimmy: Do you marinate the wings in the sauce for a period of time or is it a toss them in, get them covered and cook them, or is it a cook them and then toss them in and coat them routine?

WD

I don't marinate the wings at all - just a quiick brush with oil, S & P and some love on a low heat grill until they are nice and crispy, then on to a traditional toss in a large bowl with the sauce. Very simple and makes an over the top good (IMO) traditional style wing.

I have wings on tonight - just my regular 1/4 pound of butter, two bottles of Franks Original, some crushed red pepper and a little brown sugar - grilled with a little EVOO, S&P - the kids flat run me over getting at these... :wacko:

Those are good... Only difference in mine is I fry them w. no brown sugar. I need to try the BS thing, sounds interesting.