[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kolb = good for Celek

Grits and Shins

From the Under The Numbers piece, Tues. Oct 5th:

2. Kevin Kolb replaced the injured Michael Vick and threw for 201 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT. He added 21 yards on the ground.

Huddle Up: Kolb still looked jittery, almost unwilling to throw vertical… but he accomplished one thing: He put Brent Celek back on the map with a touchdown. Kolb has now played three games from ’09-10 where he had all or most of the snaps. In those three games he’s hit Celek 19 times – a whopping 12 of those 19 completions going for 10+ yards – with two going for touchdowns. Vick update: Sal Paolantonio spoke to ex-Eagles team physician Dr. Arthur Bartolozzi who said he suspected this kind of rib cartilage damage – between the sternum & rib cage – is extremely painful and is normally a two-to-four week injury. With the Eagles’ bye in Week 8 its actually possible Vick won’t return until Week 9.

(Sadly, I didn't take my own advice and started Gonzalez instead. Hopefully most of you don't abuse barbiturates like I apparently do.)

I grabbed Celek in one league, needed a W/T flex filler with Jacoby Jones out. Was hoping the Kolb love with him would be instantly rekindled. May hang on to him for a while now, good TE pair with T Gonzalez now. Too bad they have the same bye week. Trade bait for the Finley owner!

Edited by PPIchamp

Kolb looks much better than last week. Still think Vick makes them a better team though.

Maybe for the short term. And that's assuming he can perform as well when not playing the worst defenses in the league. I just can't count on Vick as a passer after such a short body of work. As for the long term, the Eagles look to be rebuilding and going with their younger players. Benching Kolb for Vick just doesn't make sense in that regard.