[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints Chris Ivory facing felony charges

rajncajn

from wwltv breaking news

New Orleans Saints running back Chris Ivory faces an upcoming court appearance in the state of Washington. Ivory has been charged in the state of Washington with a class B felony, a charge that could carry between 3-9 months in jail if he's convicted.

:wacko:

Maybe JJ is relevant after all.

The charge stems from an incident in July 2009 while Ivory was a student at Washington State. The Whitman County prosecutor's office confirmed to Eyewitness News that Ivory is accused of intentionally assaulting another student with a bottle to the head. The incident, according to Ivory's attorney John Snyder, took place at a residential party.

Snyder said he is still conducting an investigation into the alleged assault and would provide no further comment. “It's something way back in draft we were aware of. It’s somethingw we’re completely on top of. It’s an incident that goes back to Washington State, if I’m not mistaken. He’s handling it with his attorneys and we’re doing (what we can to help out)," said coach Sean Payton.

article here:http://www.wwltv.com/sports/black-an...104878279.html

Edited by rajncajn

unless the court date is in the next week or two, and if he is charged and a plea is reached, would likely face immediate suspension by the NFL.

Can they suspend him for his pre-NFL conduct?

Can they suspend him for his pre-NFL conduct?

I don't believe they do, but I would still think this might be linked if for nothing else than a precautionary measure just in case he has to miss a game or two due to the trial.

I'm not sure how this is news except that it's new to us.

A long-term investigation that seems to be going no where that was known by NOS.

This has nothing to do with why they picked up JJ.

That's just a dumb thing to say: I've seen Ivory on more than one roster so if he's about to be sentenced it most certainly IS news, for the added reasons since this post as well as the simple info that Ivory might not be around much longer for this season (if he's suspended, it would probably last through PTs and Bush's return).

Yes, if the legal action happens after he's drafted.

I don't think that's right. This incident occurred well before his NFL career so I don't think it would or even could warrant NFL disciplinary action. It's not when legal action takes place but when that actual event takes place, as far as I know.

I read on NBC that players actions before joining the league aren't suspendable.Is that true?

(Rotoworld) Saints RB Chris Ivory is facing felony assault charges stemming from a 2009 incident in Whitman County, Washington. Analysis: Coach Sean Payton confirmed that the team knew about the incident, and it probably is one of the main reasons Ivory wasn't drafted out of Tiffin. He originally attended Washington State, but transferred. The charge is "Class B" in nature, and could result in jail time if he's convicted. Since it happened before Ivory was in the NFL, he's not in danger of league discipline.

sometimes you just have to look a little

My bad. I'm ignorant and thought you might have some info about this legal situation to share. I'll stop seeking info from you :wacko:

You really are an A #1 . you can send PM's and dish it out but you can't take it. do this community a favor and find the exit door.

Edited by SLAYER

I read on NBC that players actions before joining the league aren't suspendable.Is that true?

I believe this to be the case as well. I seem to remember reading about it or seeing it talked about on ESPN when the Brandon Spikes sex tape or whatever came out. IIRC, the "situation" occurred while he was at Florida, but came to light only AFTER he was drafted. The discussion was whether this was an offense punishable by the NFL. The consensus was that not only would the NFL not seek to punish in a situation like this, but that the CBA/other rules prohibited it.

Both this example and the Ivory one are in relation to behavior/actions that occurred before the player was in the league. I'm not sure what would happen if a CONVICTION (distinct from simply "legal proceedings") for behavior that occurred prior to entering the NFL came down WHILE a player was in the NFL. Essentially, I don't believe Ivory can/will be punished by the NFL at this point, but could it happen IF he were convicted of/pleaded to something? I don't know the answer. Obviously, if he were to get jail time, then he's out of the NFL while he's in the clink, but can the NFL hand out an additional suspension?

Edited by SatchDork