[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Beans

Jimmy Neutron

Will be whipping up some baked beans for 40-50 people Sat. I like my usual, but looking to mix things up a bit... suggestions?

What's your usual?

I like to add lots of bacon, but I think that's normal. Mustard and molasses as well. And I don't mind a little cayenne to give them some kick.

What's your usual?

I like to add lots of bacon, but I think that's normal. Mustard and molasses as well. And I don't mind a little cayenne to give them some kick.

bacon, onion, molasses or maple, and :tup: ................ ground cloves.

Crisped up bacon, caramelized onion, mustard, molasses and/or brown sugar are the norm - maybe a little pulled bbq pork if I have any kicking around.

Cloves, huh? :wacko:

What beans do you start out with? Dry, or canned baked beans? If canned, which brand?

I've done dry and they are a little better, but not enough to go to the considerable extra effort each time.

Bush's original baked beans are a good, mellow starting point. I pull the hunk of pork fat and drain off most of the liquid. As far as canned beans go, I look for something fairly firm so they can stand a good simmering without falling apart. A neutral, general flavor helps too, so your fresh ingredients stand out vs. anything funky from the original canned beans.

If I am bbqing, I also throw in a handful of whatever fresh rub I made for the meat.

I've done dry and they are a little better, but not enough to go to the considerable extra effort each time.

Bush's original baked beans are a good, mellow starting point. I pull the hunk of pork fat and drain off most of the liquid. As far as canned beans go, I look for something fairly firm so they can stand a good simmering without falling apart. A neutral, general flavor helps too, so your fresh ingredients stand out vs. anything funky from the original canned beans.

If I am bbqing, I also throw in a handful of whatever fresh rub I made for the meat.

The cayenne really adds a nice contract to the sweet of the molasses. Try it sometime :wacko:

Rocked the beans tonight - not a single bean left when I went to pick up the pot. Lots of compliments on the level of kick - throwing in a handful of rub puts a nice twist people don't expect.

The tri-tips I did were also spot on - hugh freaking relief! - always nervous to cook for a lot of people. Just copied a marinade from Bobby Flay for tri-tip - grilled half and smoled half. The smoked (cherry & red oak) won hands down, people here don't do much smoking, so it's a real hit when they get it. I think I'm on the hook for all future block parties. :wacko:

Mrs. ts makes great baked beans, so I asked for her recipe ... from what I understand, using the cloves and dark molasses (not just 'molasses') is key.

---------------------------------

32 ounces dry pea (navy) beans

12 cups water

4 teaspoons salt

1 1/2 cups dark molasses

1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar

1 tablespoon dry mustard

1 teaspoon pepper

1 large onion

4 whole cloves, pushed into the whole, peeled onion

8 ounces salt pork, with rind slashed

1. Using a large Dutch oven or pot, bring water to a boil and add beans. Over high heat, bring back to boil. Boil for 2 minutes.

2. Turn off heat, cover, and let sit for 1 hour.

3. Reheat to boiling, reduce heat to low, add salt, cover, and simmer 1 hour.

4. Stir in molasses, brown sugar, mustard, and pepper; tuck in onion and salt pork.

5. Cover and bake for 8-10 hours at 250 degrees until most of the liquid is absorbed and beans are soft.

6. Discard cloves then chop onions and stir back into beans.

---------------------------------