[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

James Starks

Balzac

I admittedly don't know much about the guy beyond reading stats and looking at a few highlight reels. Anyone have any gut feelings about this guy (preferably based on actually having seen him play)? Can he be this year's Ryan Grant (oh the irony)?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea what to expect of him, BUT a guy drafted that late and coming up with a training camp injury AND being placed on the PUP instead of IR means they see something in him. It isn't like the other guys have done so much, McCarthy can't justify giving him a shot.

I think with the Pack it is either get it together, find an identity and implement it OR starting planning your off season golf vacation...

As a Packer fan, I haven't heard anything about him.

I researched him last week and he looked good, in college, two YEARS ago(he was hurt senior season).

I wouldn't expect much from him. The Packers simply do not run the ball. It's their Achilles heel.

That said, I did stash him away on one of my teams with a gazillion roster spots, just in case.

As a Packer fan, I haven't heard anything about him.

I researched him last week and he looked good, in college, two YEARS ago(he was hurt senior season).

I wouldn't expect much from him. The Packers simply do not run the ball. It's their Achilles heel.

That said, I did stash him away on one of my teams with a gazillion roster spots, just in case.

well, they rushed the ball ok when Grant was healthy. they're not feeding anyone the ball 30 times in a game but if anyone took over the job there they'd certainly be quite useful.

These sleeper pickups are always interesting, but you'd like to see the schedule setup better for Starks...

Next 5 weeks:

MIN

@NYJ

DAL

BYE

@MIN

The schedule definetely concerns me, but the number one thing that I fear, is the number of running attempts GB has this year. Even if Starks is who we want him to be, I can't see him getting double digit carries anytime soon. They still will use BJAX and Kuhn so at best I see Starks having 8-10 carries a game. Their O-line is pretty pathetic.

I currently have Starks and made a few waiver claims, which I doubt I will get but if I do he is gone. If not, he stays on roster and hope for the best.

The schedule definetely concerns me, but the number one thing that I fear, is the number of running attempts GB has this year. Even if Starks is who we want him to be, I can't see him getting double digit carries anytime soon. They still will use BJAX and Kuhn so at best I see Starks having 8-10 carries a game. Their O-line is pretty pathetic.

All depends on what kind of runner he is - GB obviously ran a lot more when they had Grant healthy, because he can actually run. Gotta assume that the dramatically reduced number of carries the last several games is a direct result of the fact that they don't have anyone who can actually run.

These sleeper pickups are always interesting, but you'd like to see the schedule setup better for Starks...

Next 5 weeks:

MIN

@NYJ

DAL

BYE

@MIN

This schedule looks horrible but is Starks best friend in that there is no way they will give BJ and Kuhn the reins against this scehdule. This is a perfect opportunity for Starks to shine, really.

This schedule looks horrible but is Starks best friend in that there is no way they will give BJ and Kuhn the reins against this scehdule. This is a perfect opportunity for Starks to shine, really.

My thoughts exactly. Jackson and Kuhn are really both terrible options - I think the fact that GB didn't trade for a RB says a fair amount about Starks - they have to be really confident that they've got something with him.

My thoughts exactly. Jackson and Kuhn are really both terrible options - I think the fact that GB didn't trade for a RB says a fair amount about Starks - they have to be really confident that they've got something with him.

I agree. Something special potentially.

I'm curious what the deal is with Dmitri Nance... Why hasn't he gotten a shot yet? And would he be in line first before Starks to get a shot?

you'd think they'd have used him by now . . . it's not like they haven't had the chance

you'd think they'd have used him by now . . . it's not like they haven't had the chance

Exactly, which makes me wonder... Is it a reflection on Nance that they haven't used him, or is it more an indicator that they plan to stick with the Kuhn/Jackson mix? I am skeptical that Starks will get an opportunity immediately.

Starks probably won't play until week 9 or 10. There seems to be a lot of hype over a player that was just activated. In my opinion, there are probably better options available if you need RB depth.

He is not activated yet. PUP rules allow players to practice with the team after week 6 and the team has 3 weeks to decide whether to keep on the roster (where they then have another 3 weeks to activate) put on IR or waive.

Exactly, which makes me wonder... Is it a reflection on Nance that they haven't used him, or is it more an indicator that they plan to stick with the Kuhn/Jackson mix? I am skeptical that Starks will get an opportunity immediately.

I believe Nance has trouble in blocking schemes thus being the reason he is not playing.

I doubt he'll get anything immediately - I'm thinking his role could really expand after the bye

They still will use BJAX and Kuhn so at best I see Starks having 8-10 carries a game. Their O-line is pretty pathetic.

I think they're using Jackson as he's the only running back that's healthy. I think they'd love for him to be nothing more than a 3rd down back and Kuhn as a short yardage guy. And I wouldn't say the O line is pathetic, it's hard to get a read when the cement footed jackson is dancing behind the line. Kuhn makes them look pretty good... You know, for being a fullback forced into action at RB.

I think they're using Jackson as he's the only running back that's healthy. I think they'd love for him to be nothing more than a 3rd down back and Kuhn as a short yardage guy. And I wouldn't say the O line is pathetic, it's hard to get a read when the cement footed jackson is dancing behind the line. Kuhn makes them look pretty good... You know, for being a fullback forced into action at RB.

I don't think they want to use Kuhn at all as a ball carrier, to be honest

I don't think they want to use Kuhn at all as a ball carrier, to be honest

Exactly. He's a FB with beneficial blocking skills and he's good with picking up the blitz. Having him as a ball carrier takes him out of that role, for the most part.

I think at first, it will be a serious RBBC with Kunh, Starks and BJ sharing the load. If Starks can show that his ability (he was a special back in college, mind you) then he could become the primary back and BJ goes back to back up and change of pace and Kuhn maybe as the 3rd down back. BJ is just horrid though.

Any new updates on this kid? I have taken a roster spot to hold on to him and am wandering if I should keep this kid or make a move for someone else on waivers....?

What the Pack gonna do with him, he is of the PUP list and can play correct? Is he going to be active this week?

Thanks...

Any new updates on this kid? I have taken a roster spot to hold on to him and am wandering if I should keep this kid or make a move for someone else on waivers....?

What the Pack gonna do with him, he is of the PUP list and can play correct? Is he going to be active this week?

Thanks...

He is still on PUP. He has 3 weeks to get off PUP while practicing. He has not played in live action since 2008 so he will be rusty at first.