[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

James Starks

Balzac

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starks Taking Slow Road

Rookie running back James Starks hasn’t played football for so long that the Packers might be hesitant to elevate him to the 53-man roster when his PUP eligibility runs out next week.

Starks missed his senior season at the University of Buffalo because of a shoulder injury, then was put on PUP at the start of training camp this year after failing his physical because of a hamstring injury.

He’s on the second of his three-week practice window before the Packers have to activate him, place him on injured reserve or waive him.

Starks has been working as the scout team halfback but hasn’t been tackled since his junior season at Buffalo. The Packers have been practicing only in shells in recent weeks because of their long list of injuries, so to acclimate Starks to playing in pads, they have him doing drills such as hitting the blocking sled before and after practice.

“Showing more signs of improvement, this week more than the initial week,” said running backs coach Edgar Bennett. “It’s more about getting back to the basics and fundamentals and bringing him along from that standpoint. The footwork, ball security, things of that nature, field work, the physical part of it.”

The Packers aren’t saying what they’re going to do with Starks, but considering the short time they have to determine his roster status, it would be a big step to put him in a game after that long layoff from live hitting. Right now their backup halfback behind starter Brandon Jackson is John Kuhn, and the No. 3 back is Dimitri Nance, who is in his seventh week with the team and now has a good grasp of the offense.

“It’s all about pad level, not only as a runner but also as far as protecting the football,” Bennett said. “(Starks) missed a lot of time the last few years, we’re just trying to get him back to wearing (pads). As far as the overall pad level, we’re working on his techniques, the feeling of carrying them, those kind of things.”

If Starks is healthy and understands the system, he's the best RB on that roster right now.

Agreed. Jackson has only "filled in" and at times that's debatable. Having a true threat on the back field could make an already dangerous team a true force to be dealt with in the NFC.

After struggling through a year with Jackson (out of necessity), I've been pretty happy the past few weeks. He's been a pretty big part of a successful offense, which is getting better. They are in a groove right now, with him getting a good % of the looks, and doing plenty with them. I had to drop Starks on two of my teams, due to bye issues, so I'd had hopes for him all along. But to me, I don't see making a big move to Starks with the team looking so good the way things are. Maybe as a third down threat, but not as a main back. Jackson's doing pretty well and the fans love yelling "Kuuuuuhn!" And honestly, as good as that passing game and Rogers is, the running game rarely comes into play... seems to be turning into an Indianapolis kind of thing, with less emphasis even than they have on a main back.

Jackson has averaged 4.3 YPC this season and over the last five weeks it was 5.1 YPC. Last year Grant only had a 4.4 YPC and it was a 3.9 YPC in 2008. Jackson is being as effective as Grant has been and in the past month, Jackson has been getting about as many carries as Grant would have. About the only way Grant and Jackson are not being similar now is that Jackson has three scores and is on a pace for six rushing touchdowns while Grant scored 11 times last year. But Grant only had 4 scores in all of 2008.

The Packers are happy with Jackson. Starks is nothing more than depth and having not played in two years means he has no chance of being a suitable pass blocker in the pass-heavy scheme of GB.

Don't be surprised to see Starks make more of an impact than is being anticipated above - again with the caveat that he stays healthy. You watch him run and you notice his size and pad level right off the bat - he's 6'-2" and 218 lbs but he runs with good pad level - but then you see things that you don't see from a lot of young backs: He is very patient in waiting for his linemen to create a seam, he sets up his linemen very well, and he hits the seam as soon as it opens. He shows great instincts and vision when running. he also has enough wiggle to make sound changes of direction at the second level and enough speed to turn long gainers in the open field.

You watch him run in trash and you don't see a pile mover, but you do see lows pads and ball security, and his legs never stop moving. he's the type of guy who gets swallowed up in a pile and disappears for a second or two, and then suddenly bursts out the other side of it.

Jackson & GB have shown a decided problem this year with converting 3rd and short situations. In fact, they are actually better served statistically backing up 5 yds and trying to convert than making a 3rd & 2.

Not saying Starks is a shoe-in, but the guy is very capable and has skills that make transfer to the next level much easier. If he hadn't have gotten hurt last year I would have expected him to go in the 2nd round of this year's draft. This guy is a bonafide sleeper and people should be paying attention.

Edited by Bronco Billy

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to bring this guy up again... seems as though he's going to get a shot to play this weekend, and I might just grab him in case, since I have an open roster spot... Is there any new insight on this guy, or still the same old "wait and see?"

I'm going to bring this guy up again... seems as though he's going to get a shot to play this weekend, and I might just grab him in case, since I have an open roster spot... Is there any new insight on this guy, or still the same old "wait and see?"

Appears Nance might be out with a concussion which would clear space for Starks. If GB blows out the niners, Starks could see a decent amount of touches. Here's hoping at least! :wacko:

He's getting a shot today. Hope he can bust a couple long runs.

TT is amazing. He drafts RB's with late round picks like Starks, Wynn, Quinn Johnson(a 5th) and the one high pick he does use is for Brandon Jackson(a 2nd). He gave up a 6th for Grant.

Jackson has averaged 4.3 YPC this season and over the last five weeks it was 5.1 YPC. Last year Grant only had a 4.4 YPC and it was a 3.9 YPC in 2008. Jackson is being as effective as Grant has been and in the past month, Jackson has been getting about as many carries as Grant would have. About the only way Grant and Jackson are not being similar now is that Jackson has three scores and is on a pace for six rushing touchdowns while Grant scored 11 times last year. But Grant only had 4 scores in all of 2008.

The Packers are happy with Jackson. Starks is nothing more than depth and having not played in two years means he has no chance of being a suitable pass blocker in the pass-heavy scheme of GB.

Not true. Go back and watch last season when Grant was in. Teams were worried about Grant running. With Jackson, they've been letting them try to run. You can't simply look at numbers every time. Grant was also injured in 2008, so once again, the numbers don't tell the entire story.

To say the Packers are happy with Jackson is simply not being aware of whats going on in Green Bay.

• 4 weeks later...
Don't be surprised to see Starks make more of an impact than is being anticipated above - again with the caveat that he stays healthy. You watch him run and you notice his size and pad level right off the bat - he's 6'-2" and 218 lbs but he runs with good pad level - but then you see things that you don't see from a lot of young backs: He is very patient in waiting for his linemen to create a seam, he sets up his linemen very well, and he hits the seam as soon as it opens. He shows great instincts and vision when running. he also has enough wiggle to make sound changes of direction at the second level and enough speed to turn long gainers in the open field.

You watch him run in trash and you don't see a pile mover, but you do see lows pads and ball security, and his legs never stop moving. he's the type of guy who gets swallowed up in a pile and disappears for a second or two, and then suddenly bursts out the other side of it.

Jackson & GB have shown a decided problem this year with converting 3rd and short situations. In fact, they are actually better served statistically backing up 5 yds and trying to convert than making a 3rd & 2.

Not saying Starks is a shoe-in, but the guy is very capable and has skills that make transfer to the next level much easier. If he hadn't have gotten hurt last year I would have expected him to go in the 2nd round of this year's draft. This guy is a bonafide sleeper and people should be paying attention.

Do you still think Starks is all that? Being a Packer fan I am hoping he is but this thread always kind of made me laugh at how some people think they know more than they really do.

I have now even read that Starks will be fighting for a roster spot next year. I am starting to think that NFL coaches actually do know more than forum posters. :wacko:

Do you still think Starks is all that? Being a Packer fan I am hoping he is but this thread always kind of made me laugh at how some people think they know more than they really do.

I have now even read that Starks will be fighting for a roster spot next year. I am starting to think that NFL coaches actually do know more than forum posters. :wacko:

Of course he will be fighting for a roster spot...he is only going to be a 2nd year player that saw minimal snaps this year...but even vets fight for roster spots next year.

Of course he will be fighting for a roster spot...he is only going to be a 2nd year player that saw minimal snaps this year...but even vets fight for roster spots next year.

No diaper dirt. Everyone fights for a roster spot but players like Mathews, Rodgers, Jennings don't have articles written where it says that they are fighting for a spot. It does not seem like Starks is answer (I hope I am wrong).

All I am saying is that people here were claiming that this guy was the best RB on this roster. They were making statements like there was no doubt. It sure does not seem like Starks was as good as you and mostly BB were claiming.

No diaper dirt. Everyone fights for a roster spot but players like Mathews, Rodgers, Jennings don't have articles written where it says that they are fighting for a spot. It does not seem like Starks is answer (I hope I am wrong).

All I am saying is that people here were claiming that this guy was the best RB on this roster. They were making statements like there was no doubt. It sure does not seem like Starks was as good as you and mostly BB were claiming.

umm this is the only thing I said about starks in this thread (prior to today)

fwiw, Grant's salary for next year was a main factor in why I targeted Starks in my rookie drafts this past spring.
Edited by keggerz

I'll stand by my opinions. He's still the best healthy RB on that roster right now. Maybe he's struggling with pass protection - like a lot of rookie RBs do and he's way behind in his rookie learning curve due to the time he's missed - and that's why he isn't being used. Maybe it's the comfort level of using predominantly vets there with a playoff spot on the line.

Starks will have a better pro career than Jackson, Kuhn, or Nance - whether it's with GB or somewhere else - as long as he stays healthy. Feel free to bump this as often as you need to if it makes you feel really good.

I'll stand by my opinions. He's still the best healthy RB on that roster right now. Maybe he's struggling with pass protection - like a lot of rookie RBs do and he's way behind in his rookie learning curve due to the time he's missed - and that's why he isn't being used. Maybe it's the comfort level of using predominantly vets there with a playoff spot on the line.

Starks will have a better pro career than Jackson, Kuhn, or Nance - whether it's with GB or somewhere else - as long as he stays healthy. Feel free to bump this as often as you need to if it makes you feel really good.

It does not make me feel good - I never said he was good or bad.

I was just making point that you - (I stand corrected that Keggerz never said he was good) were making pretty bold statements that he was some stud RB. Like earlier in the thread I asked what makes you say that he is so good and your reply was basically - I pay attention.

I guess I found it weird that someone on a message board was so sure that a RB was basically gold and he was not even activated the last couple games of the season.