[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

IR moves....help this commissioner please

Cementups

regular reader, just don't post much

OK, I am having a dillemma with the league I run and I'm not sure how to handle it.

I have a team who has players on the IR this past week. Early this week he activated the players on his lineup and dropped players since the IR players were upgraded to Questionable. both of these players are 90% going to be back on the IR by game time on Sunday so this gives the team an opportunity to pick up two more players when he deactivates the players once again.

So how do I handle this? He's already pretty sure that the players will not play, should he be allowed to make these moves based on the teams IR classification of the player?

Hopefully you readers understand the problem and can help me rectify the situation.

Thanks in advance

Cement

Edited by Cementups

You're going to need to post your league rule wording first or all you'll get is a bunch of speculation. Preferably, a straight copy/paste from your league rulebook.

We don't necessarily have a league rulebook. In our league if a guy is Inactive, Out or doubtful, he can be placed on the IR. Come gameday if a player is not I, O or D then he must be put back on your roster or dropped and the roster must be 18 players on gameday. what we're having is a player like Pierre Thomas being made Questionable on the NFL injury report and then come game day he is put back on the IR as out or Doubtful.

Our teams are limited to one regular d/p per week and basically unlimited I/R moves. We just have a player that is using the out - questionable - out again to his advantage to be able to pick up extra players.

Hope this helps

Edited by Cementups

We don't necessarily have a league rulebook. In our league if a guy is Inactive, Out or doubtful, he can be placed on the IR. Come gameday if a player is not I, O or D then he must be put back on your roster or dropped and the roster must be 18 players on gameday. what we're having is a player like Pierre Thomas being made Questionable on the NFL injury report and then come game day he is put back on the IR as out or Doubtful.

Hope this helps

NFL injury report isn't published until Friday, why would he have already taken guys off IR?

http://www.nfl.com/injuries

Our teams are limited to one regular d/p per week and basically unlimited I/R moves. We just have a player that is using the out - questionable - out again to his advantage to be able to pick up extra players.

Hope this helps

Sounds like the rule is the problem and one of your owners is exploiting it. Given you started the season with the rule in place, not sure you can just change it now. I suppose you could put it to a league vote, but I am generally of the opinion that rules should not be changed during the season.

If you've explained what is happening accurately, eventually, this ower will likely have to dump multiple players as they get healthy and that may help rectify the situation...

ETA: after re-reading the OP and thinking about it some more, I am not sure I am understanding the problem fully. If the owner is dropping a player each and every time he takes a player (ie PThomas) off IR early in the week and then adding players back when he's putting players back on IR late in the week, it seems he's maintaining the roster limit of 18 players and not stockpiling players. Are other owners not getting a chance to grab the players he is dropping? Not sure about this :wacko:

Your rule is way too complicated. Just expand the roster if you're that worried about injuries.

+1

Not sure its too complicated as much as its too easy to manipulate it the way its been explained. The OP would do well to have a hard limit on the number of players on rosters before going into next season. He is just going to have continued headaches if he continues to roll with the rule as it stands now.

Edited by Delicious_bass

I have a team who has players on the IR this past week. Early this week he activated the players on his lineup and dropped players since the IR players were upgraded to Questionable. both of these players are 90% going to be back on the IR by game time on Sunday so this gives the team an opportunity to pick up two more players when he deactivates the players once again.

So how do I handle this? He's already pretty sure that the players will not play, should he be allowed to make these moves based on the teams IR classification of the player?

others have touched on it, but basically the owner is doing nothing wrong. he is following your rules, activating players when he is supposed to and deactivatingthem when he is allowed to.

IMO, from what i can tell, the problem is not with the owner, it is with the structure of the rule. Have you defined what you official source for injury designation is? It seems no, as the injury report comes out Friday and that status does not change, though teams may make a player a gameday inactive (though this information usually only comes out about an hour before game time)

In this case, so long as the owner is activating players listed as questionable or better on the injury report when he is required to do so and only putting them on the IR when they are doubtful or worse or deactivated, and is maintaining the 18 player limit, I fail to see what the problem is.

The rule is way too complicated, but I'm also struggling to figure out what the purpose of your injured reserve even is? It seems to only allow for exploiting the rule with roster hoarding.

There is already a place for players that are doubtful or questionable on a given week; it's called the bench. Like Jackass said, expanding the roster by 1 more spot would make alot more sense, with none of the issues.

But there is one simple way that IR should be conducted: just like the NFL... When the Colts placed Clark on IR, they gain a roster spot, but lose him for the season. It's simple, doesn't allow for any exploitation, and serves the purpose of keeping a player, even if he's dead-weight this year.

Or even further, all of my dynasty leagues with IR spots require that the player must be placed on IR on his NFL roster. This means that I could not have placed Dallas Clark on IR until it was official today that the Colts are. This is what an IR is supposed to be used for, not for roster hoarding.

By the way is this dynasty/keeper or redraft? If it's redraft, then there is absolutely no reason to have an IR. Just expand your rosters, or drop dead-weight.

(However, if this is the rule that you agreed upon, then you have to abide by it. IMO, only if it's unanimous among all owners should a rule ever be changed in season... But I would certainly change it for next year.)

Thanks guys for all your input. You guys are pretty well right, It's kind of a loophole he is exploting. Thus far, I have only had one guy complain about it and even in a direct email to me he voiced the his displeasure was pretty personal. Kind of a "lucky bastard gets extra pickups cause he has hurt players" kind of deal. I'm etting it go for now but it may have to be addressed next year. at the draft.

Thanks again.