[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Coaches Poll - Oregon #1

Rockerbraves

Oct. 24, 2010

Rank Team (first-place votes) Record Points Last week's ranking

1. Oregon (50) 7-0 1,463 1

2. Boise State (5) 6-0 1,383 2

3. Auburn (3) 8-0 1,350 5

4. TCU (1) 8-0 1,308 4

5. Michigan State 8-0 1,175 8

6. Alabama 7-1 1,152 7

7. Utah 7-0 1,091 9

8. Missouri 7-0 1,060 16

9. Wisconsin 7-1 973 11

10. Ohio State 7-1 966 10

11. Oklahoma 6-1 871 3

12. Nebraska 6-1 802 13

13. LSU 7-1 787 6

14. Stanford 6-1 763 14

15. Florida State 6-1 651 17

16. Arizona 6-1 628 18

17. South Carolina 5-2 431 20

18. Arkansas 5-2 404 21

19. Iowa 5-2 401 12

20. Oklahoma State 6-1 385 15

21. Virginia Tech 6-2 317 23

22. Miami (Fla.) 5-2 260 25

23. Mississippi State 6-2 251 24

24. Baylor 6-2 70 NR

25. Michigan 5-2 50 NR

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/usatpoll.htm

LOL... I'm gonna crack up if Auburn goes undefeated, is ranked 3rd in the final poll and misses the NC game, again.... Only this time to Boise State would make it that much funnier. The AU fans would probably march on Washington demanding that congress intervene.

LOL... I'm gonna crack up if Auburn goes undefeated, is ranked 3rd in the final poll and misses the NC game, again.... Only this time to Boise State would make it that much funnier. The AU fans would probably march on Washington demanding that congress intervene.

Guess it would be funny, but as the season goes on Boise computer rankings are sure to drop way down. Now what would be fun to see is Georgia beating Auburn in a down year.

Guess it would be funny, but as the season goes on Boise computer rankings are sure to drop way down. Now what would be fun to see is Georgia beating Auburn in a down year.

Considering that UGA usually wins at Auburn and I think Auburn will lose 2 games 9Could be Bama/UGA or Bama/SEC Championship) I wouldn't be horribly surprised, that and AU may be looking ahead to the Bama game the next week.

All I care about right now is the Cocktail party, Unta, you gonna be there? YOu wanna wager a sig line on the game?

I know you're probably joking, but before all the BSU haters latch on to this comment and get their panties in a wad. I think it's impossible for them to lose ground on anyone if they keep winning. Well, unless Bama drops a few. If Bama is still top 10 that means they're the only team out there with a possible top 10 game in front of them.

Mind you, looking at the upcoming schedule, that's pretty much it for them and whomever they play in the SEC Championship is not likely to be all that, so they don't have that going for them. So, on second thought, I guess it's not a lock.

I guess Mizzou could pass them with a game vs a Nebraska team that should end up close to the top 10 and a rematch vs OU in the Big 12 final.

MSU only has Iowa left in terms of impressive games and Oregon only has AZ. Neither of which is Alabama.

BSU certainly doesn't have a game left on their schedule that will earn them enough love in the computers to pass them.

I guess that leaves the winner of Utah vs TCU. Hadn't thought about that. if the winner goes undefeated, they're going to have a top 10 win under their belt. Well, not top 10 because the loser will certainly drop back some.

Which brings up sort of an interesting point. Since you don't get credit for what the team was ranked when you played them but what they're ranked at the end of the season, it essentially discounts every win you get over a team because they're bound to to drop. After all, Mizzou didn't get a win against the #1 team in the country, they got one against a team that is now ranked #9.

Which brings up sort of an interesting point. Since you don't get credit for what the team was ranked when you played them but what they're ranked at the end of the season, it essentially discounts every win you get over a team because they're bound to to drop. After all, Mizzou didn't get a win against the #1 team in the country, they got one against a team that is now ranked #9.

I hate this. A lot of guys play this "card" in these forums by discounting quality wins against high rank teams because now that they've been beat they drop in the polls. Kind of ridiculous to me? Now, if the team that was ranked high continues to lose there's some legitimacy to it but I think it's, for the most part, an unfair critique.

I know you're probably joking, but before all the BSU haters latch on to this comment and get their panties in a wad. I think it's impossible for them to lose ground on anyone if they keep winning. Well, unless Bama drops a few. If Bama is still top 10 that means they're the only team out there with a possible top 10 game in front of them.

Mind you, looking at the upcoming schedule, that's pretty much it for them and whomever they play in the SEC Championship is not likely to be all that, so they don't have that going for them. So, on second thought, I guess it's not a lock.

If Auburn wins out they will likely overtake Oregon for the #1 spot in the BCS. Bama if they win out will likely overtake an undefeated Boise State. Even a 12-1 LSU team has a shot to overtake an undefeated Boise. Now TCU I am not so sure about especially if Utah continues to win.

If Auburn wins out they will likely overtake Oregon for the #1 spot in the BCS. Bama if they win out will likely overtake an undefeated Boise State. Even a 12-1 LSU team has a shot to overtake an undefeated Boise. Now TCU I am not so sure about especially if Utah continues to win.

They've already overtaken them. They're currently ranked #1 in the BCS

The SEC champ and Oregon, MSU, or Big 12 Champ will play for the NC. Boise isnt getting into that game. Regardless the flavor of the week, they continue to pass Boise in the BCS.

Not sure about that. As long as the human polls keep giving BSU love, that may be too much to overcome. Assuming that teams around them keep losing, of course. Keep in mind, that BSU does still have Hawaii and Nevada on their schedule and, given their records, are bound to give them a little pop in the eyes of the computers, enough to quite possibly buoy them above the one-loss teams every is certain will end up passing them.

The SEC champ and Oregon, MSU, or Big 12 Champ will play for the NC. Boise isnt getting into that game. Regardless the flavor of the week, they continue to pass Boise in the BCS.

there is no way in he11 Mich State will be, or even deserves to be in the same sentence as national champipship contender. They have 1 quality win vs Wisky, they skip OSU and they played a terrible non conference schedule.

IF there is any team that doesn't belong in the top 5 it is Sparty - I think Iowa rebounds and beats them this week to make it a moot point.

sorry, this team drops 3 games in the SEC, Pac 10 or Big 12

there is no way in he11 Mich State will be, or even deserves to be in the same sentence as national champipship contender. They have 1 quality win vs Wisky, they skip OSU and they played a terrible non conference schedule.

IF there is any team that doesn't belong in the top 5 it is Sparty - I think Iowa rebounds and beats them this week to make it a moot point.

We agree on one thing there, I hope Iowa crashes Sparty's dream. :wacko:

I was thinking this same thought about Boise... well, maybe the Pac 10 and SEC.

I was thinking this same thought about Boise... well, maybe the Pac 10 and SEC.

maybe......but I am a believer, they may have an easier road than everyone- fair enough

but they sure look damn good to me EVERY time I watch them and look as good as anyone in the country.

can u Big 10 honks agree that maybe just maybe MSU is a bit of a fraud at #5???

maybe......but I am a believer, they may have an easier road than everyone- fair enough

but they sure look damn good to me EVERY time I watch them and look as good as anyone in the country.

The thing I noticed watching BSU's games, is that the team's BSU is beating up on..... they're terrible. I mean really bad.

So is it that BSU is THAT good or the teams they play are THAT bad? My take is that an average team from either the PAC or the SEC would be doing the same thing to these teams if that was their only competition.

Listen, I love the underdog card BSU gets to play when they occasionally play good teams (and I cheer them on), but when it comes down to serious discussion about whether they belong in the conversation for an NC, they just don't belong. Sorry, they can't control the position they are in, but that's not an excuse to allow them entry to the conversation either.

It is, what it is.

Why? Boise State just beat Louisiana Tech. La Tech would go winless in the Big Ten. Minnesota would beat them for goodness sake. And La Tech is considered one of Boise's "tough" opponents. Sorry, but until someone beats Michigan State (REALLY hope it's this week) then why would I consider them a fraud? Wins are wins. And by EVERYONES admission, computers, or any fairminded person, they still play a tougher schedule than at least 2 teams ranked ahead of them right now, regardless of their admittedly weak non conference schedule. Reality is the Top of the Big Ten is very strong as it was proven to be last year. I would agree, so far the Big Ten may not be as deep as the SEC or the Pac 10, but no one will be able to convince me that the top 4 teams couldn't go toe to toe with any other team in the country. My prediction is that you won't have to worry about Michigan State. Pending another Special Teams meltdown (Arizona and Wisconsin games) or Old Ricky (almost all of last year) rearing his ugly head, I have no doubt that Iowa will handle Michigan State fairly easily this weekend.

Edited by GWPFFL BrianW

Why? Boise State just beat Louisiana Tech. La Tech would go winless in the Big Ten. Minnesota would beat them for goodness sake. And La Tech is considered one of Boise's "tough" opponents. Sorry, but until someone beats Michigan State (REALLY hope it's this week) then why would I consider them a fraud? Wins are wins. And by EVERYONES admission, computers, or any fairminded person, they still play a tougher schedule than at least 2 teams ranked ahead of them right now, regardless of their admittedly weak non conference schedule. Reality is the Top of the Big Ten is very strong as it was proven to be last year. I would agree, so far the Big Ten may not be as deep as the SEC or the Pac 10, but no one will be able to convince me that the top 4 teams couldn't go toe to toe with any other team in the country. My prediction is that you won't have to worry about Michigan State. Pending another Special Teams meltdown (Arizona and Wisconsin games) or Old Ricky (almost all of last year) rearing his ugly head, I have no doubt that Iowa will handle Michigan State fairly easily this weekend.

LATech is not that bad - they could get a W over some bottom feeders in any conference IMO

"special teams meltdowns" funny how we both say the UA Iowa game very differently.....

I thought UA beat them up and dominated Iowa pretty well in the first half, getting out to the 27-7 lead and it was a joke how they shot themsleves in the foot to even let Iowa back in the game. Special teams plays happen. That game should have been alot worse for Iowa

anyhoo- I hope Iowa beats down Mich State, really curious to see how Oregon does @ USC

My prediction is that you won't have to worry about Michigan State. Pending another Special Teams meltdown (Arizona and Wisconsin games) or Old Ricky (almost all of last year) rearing his ugly head, I have no doubt that Iowa will handle Michigan State fairly easily this weekend.

Vegas and others agree with you. Opening Vegas line had Iowa -4 1/2 it's now up to 7 points some places.

"The Spartans survived a scare at Northwestern and now they head to Iowa as underdogs. The Hawkeyes are coming off a tough loss (30-31) at home to Wisconsin and most would believe that Kirk Ferentz’s troops won’t drop two in a row in their house." :wacko: