[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rest of the season rankings

Thews40

Jason Witten at the #14 spot? Already had his bye and with Romo hurt will prolly see more... I dont get this one at all.

Austin Collie at #15? I have him in two leagues so it's not like I don't want this to be true, but no way he's #15 for the rest of the year.

Steven Jackson in the #7 slot? The Rams need a M*A*S*H unit on the sidelines and Jackson isn't even in the top 10 now and yet to have a bye?

Since we're discussing it, Brady is too high at #4 given the dynamic of the offense now. I'd put Orton and Rivers ahead of him for sure. I'm also not sure why Hakeem Nicks is down at 8th. He seems top 5 to me. He can take Miles Austin's spot in the top 5 actually.

Why don't you guys put up some rest of the season rankings with some discussion of why players are where you have them? I'd be interested to read it.

OK. Here's a look at my top 15 QBs. If I get time, I'll try to get other positions up here.

QUARTERBACKS

1 Peyton Manning IND 7 - Should go without saying

2 .Drew Brees NOS 10 - Once Bush/Thomas return, they'll find their groove again. If anything, the fact that they are not blowing teams out means they'll have to continue to throw in games. I like him down the stretch.

3 Aaron Rodgers GBP 10 - Losing Finley hurts, and they just haven't seemed right. But this is still his team, and he's definitely top 3 from here.

4 Philip Rivers SDC 10 - He'll get his weapons back after the bye, and with VJax returning, this is a guy I really like down the stretch (well, as much as I can like anything about Philip Rivers).

5 Kyle Orton DEN 9 - They are last in the league in rushing. Whereas that might change, it probably won't since McDaniels worked in the pass happy offense in NE from a few years back.

6 Ben Roethlisberger PIT 5 - He makes plays, and the offense moves through him.

7 Tom Brady NEP 5 - They don't throw the ball nearly as much in the red zone, and there is no vertical threat to their offense at all.

8 Eli Manning NYG 8 - They have really become quite a dynamic passing offense with Nicks, Smith, & Manningham. They are playing well, and even though Eli is error prone at times, you have to like how they've been moving the ball on offense with him.

9 Matt Schaub HOU 7 - He might actually emerge into a top 6 guy, but the emergence of Arian Foster has hurt his value. They've also been out of sync the last couple weeks. I think they'll come out of the bye healthier and begin clicking again.

10 Carson Palmer CIN 6 - Too inconsistent to be trusted - 400 and 3 one week, 160 and an INT the next. But he has the weapons and the track record of success. But I don't trust him at all.

11 Matt Ryan ATL 8 - Has a stud WR in White as well as some other complementary weapons. Danger is that they are a running team, and Ryan is still showing some growing pains.

12 Jay Cutler CHI 8 - If they can't protect him, he's not going to be very reliable. Cutler just doesn't play as well under pressure.

13 Michael Vick PHI 4 - I was actually tempted to put him in the top 10 based on how he was playing pre-injury, but at the moment I'd put him borderline QB1.

14 Jon Kitna DAL 4 - Kitna is definitely not Romo, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kitna was top 12 from here on out. Dallas is a pass-first team, and that won't change. Add to that the poor defensive play, and they'll likely have to pass to have a chance to win. Kitna is a veteran who won't be intimidated by taking over. Danger here is whether or not they give up on the season and see what they have in McGee.

15 Ryan Fitzpatrick BUF 6 - Who saw that performance against the Ravens coming?

If the last game is any indication, Witten's value might actually rise - he posted his best numbers of the year with Kitna. The deep threat receivers may lose value, but Kitna is an experienced NFL QB who has worked in pass-happy offenses, and he knows the playbook well. He may not have quite the big play capability of Romo, but on the other hand he might actually reduce the number of Cowboys turnovers: he is not going to make some of those reckless throws that Romo is so fond of, and I think he watches the clock better than Romo (think of how many times we have seen Romo cause a costly delay of game penalty over the years).

As a long-suffering Lions fan, I can attest to the fact that Kitna is pretty smart, he doesn't make a lot of stupid mistakes, and he is gutsy when you need tough yards. Maybe the arm isn't quite a cannon, but he is more than adequate to lead the Dallas offense.

Why don't you guys put up some rest of the season rankings with some discussion of why players are where you have them? I'd be interested to read it.

Ok I'll take a shot:

Tight Ends.

#1 – Vernon Davis. The main target on a marginal team.

#2 – Antonio Gates. The king of TE’s has a bad toe. Bad toes don’t heal quickly but aren’t as bad as a bad knee or ankle. If a shot in the foot kills the pain for a few hours, he’ll continue to produce, just not as much. Risk/reward sides with reward IMO.

#3 – Jason Witten. He’ll always get something, even if it’s a handful of catches and an occasional TD. With Romo out, I see a lot plays intended to go deep breaking down and Kitna finding Witten in the slot.

#4 – Zach Miller. I hate the Raiders, but they are getting better and Zach is one of, if not the main target.

#5 – Dustin Keller. The Jets rely mostly on defense and aren’t yer typical deep threat kind of team.

#6 – Aaron Hernandez. Brady has to throw to someone other than Welker.

#7 – Chris Cooley. I don’t see a lot of firepower in the Redskins, but Cooley is very consistent in double digits.

#8 – Tony Gonzalez. He’s Gonzo. Maybe lost a step or two, but he’ll get a few TD’s with sure hands in the red zone.

#9 – Todd Heap. I’ve had Heap for the past few years and he’s always hurt… not this year… yet, but you can’t count on the injury bug striking. Too many weapons on the Ravens to plug all the holes and I figure he’ll be what you’d expect from the #9 slot… OK.

#10 – Marcedes Lewis. He can be hit or miss with TD’s, but he’s currently #8 overall and usually gets at least 10.

#11 – Jeremy Shockey. Always hurt and one of many choices when Brees decides to throw. With the running game shut down they became one-dimensional, but with some RB help Shockey should be good for at least 8 on any given week.

#12 – Tony Moeaki. The Chiefs are getting better and this one is more of a hunch than based on stats. Cassel has Bowe now that opposing defenses have to contain which should open up the middle a little more.

Ok I'll take a shot:

Tight Ends.

:wacko:

Not even sure he's top-5 when you consider they are going with T. Smith at QB for at least the next 3 weeks. Until there is an ounce of proof that Smith can run the passing offense effectively, I don't think you can value Davis as the top TE in all of fantasy football.

:wacko:

Not even sure he's top-5 when you consider they are going with T. Smith at QB for at least the next 3 weeks. Until there is an ounce of proof that Smith can run the passing offense effectively, I don't think you can value Davis as the top TE in all of fantasy football.

That's a good point and I really didn't know much about the QB change, but IMO a QB change will affect WR's more than the TE.

must disagree with Keller #5. Santonio is back which will cut his targets in half. Bad weather soon means 1/3 less pass attempts for Sanchez. here on out Keller wont be top ten. Just saying.

Ok I'll take a shot:

Tight Ends.

#2 – Antonio Gates. The king of TE’s has a bad toe. Bad toes don’t heal quickly but aren’t as bad as a bad knee or ankle. If a shot in the foot kills the pain for a few hours, he’ll continue to produce, just not as much. Risk/reward sides with reward IMO.

#3 – Jason Witten. He’ll always get something, even if it’s a handful of catches and an occasional TD. With Romo out, I see a lot plays intended to go deep breaking down and Kitna finding Witten in the slot.

#4 – Zach Miller. I hate the Raiders, but they are getting better and Zach is one of, if not the main target.

#5 – Dustin Keller. The Jets rely mostly on defense and aren’t yer typical deep threat kind of team.

#7 – Chris Cooley. I don’t see a lot of firepower in the Redskins, but Cooley is very consistent in double digits.

#8 – Tony Gonzalez. He’s Gonzo. Maybe lost a step or two, but he’ll get a few TD’s with sure hands in the red zone.

#9 – Todd Heap. I’ve had Heap for the past few years and he’s always hurt… not this year… yet, but you can’t count on the injury bug striking. Too many weapons on the Ravens to plug all the holes and I figure he’ll be what you’d expect from the #9 slot… OK.

#10 – Marcedes Lewis. He can be hit or miss with TD’s, but he’s currently #8 overall and usually gets at least 10.

#11 – Jeremy Shockey. Always hurt and one of many choices when Brees decides to throw. With the running game shut down they became one-dimensional, but with some RB help Shockey should be good for at least 8 on any given week.

#12 – Tony Moeaki. The Chiefs are getting better and this one is more of a hunch than based on stats. Cassel has Bowe now that opposing defenses have to contain which should open up the middle a little more.

I'm happy to see the various rankings from people at the website and the rationale included. Even if I don't agree with all the Hudldle rankings for rest of the season, they are certainly generating quite a few comments. Different perspectives are what I need as a Huddle member.

Thanks Huddle, thanks "posters".

I would think Pettigrew would make the top 12 imho.

Ok I'll take a shot:

Tight Ends.

OK. Here's a look at my top 15 QBs. If I get time, I'll try to get other positions up here.

QUARTERBACKS

2 .Drew Brees NOS 10 - Once Bush/Thomas return, they'll find their groove again. If anything, the fact that they are not blowing teams out means they'll have to continue to throw in games. I like him down the stretch.

3 Aaron Rodgers GBP 10 - Losing Finley hurts, and they just haven't seemed right. But this is still his team, and he's definitely top 3 from here.

4 Philip Rivers SDC 10 - He'll get his weapons back after the bye, and with VJax returning, this is a guy I really like down the stretch (well, as much as I can like anything about Philip Rivers).

5 Kyle Orton DEN 9 - They are last in the league in rushing. Whereas that might change, it probably won't since McDaniels worked in the pass happy offense in NE from a few years back.

7 Tom Brady NEP 5 - They don't throw the ball nearly as much in the red zone, and there is no vertical threat to their offense at all.

8 Eli Manning NYG 8 - They have really become quite a dynamic passing offense with Nicks, Smith, & Manningham. They are playing well, and even though Eli is error prone at times, you have to like how they've been moving the ball on offense with him.

9 Matt Schaub HOU 7 - He might actually emerge into a top 6 guy, but the emergence of Arian Foster has hurt his value. They've also been out of sync the last couple weeks. I think they'll come out of the bye healthier and begin clicking again.

10 Carson Palmer CIN 6 - Too inconsistent to be trusted - 400 and 3 one week, 160 and an INT the next. But he has the weapons and the track record of success. But I don't trust him at all.

11 Matt Ryan ATL 8 - Has a stud WR in White as well as some other complementary weapons. Danger is that they are a running team, and Ryan is still showing some growing pains.

12 Jay Cutler CHI 8 - If they can't protect him, he's not going to be very reliable. Cutler just doesn't play as well under pressure.

13 Michael Vick PHI 4 - I was actually tempted to put him in the top 10 based on how he was playing pre-injury, but at the moment I'd put him borderline QB1.

14 Jon Kitna DAL 4 - Kitna is definitely not Romo, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kitna was top 12 from here on out. Dallas is a pass-first team, and that won't change. Add to that the poor defensive play, and they'll likely have to pass to have a chance to win. Kitna is a veteran who won't be intimidated by taking over. Danger here is whether or not they give up on the season and see what they have in McGee.

Not going Whacko for Flacco? He's in the esteemed "3rd" year in which QB's can come into true form. He's had a 105 QB rating in the past 5 games, with a capable multi-purpose RB to keep the box stacked. Decent receiving core -- lots of options all over the field with Rice, Heap, Boldin...Just my thoughts....I think his remaining schedule doesn't look TOO tough...

If the last game is any indication, Witten's value might actually rise - he posted his best numbers of the year with Kitna. The deep threat receivers may lose value, but Kitna is an experienced NFL QB who has worked in pass-happy offenses, and he knows the playbook well. He may not have quite the big play capability of Romo, but on the other hand he might actually reduce the number of Cowboys turnovers: he is not going to make some of those reckless throws that Romo is so fond of, and I think he watches the clock better than Romo (think of how many times we have seen Romo cause a costly delay of game penalty over the years).

As a long-suffering Lions fan, I can attest to the fact that Kitna is pretty smart, he doesn't make a lot of stupid mistakes, and he is gutsy when you need tough yards. Maybe the arm isn't quite a cannon, but he is more than adequate to lead the Dallas offense.

Keep in mind that the TD came when Romo was still in the game. It's possible that Kitna looks to Witten more as a security blanket than Romo has recently, but it's not a given.

Steven Jackson in the #7 slot? The Rams need a M*A*S*H unit on the sidelines and Jackson isn't even in the top 10 now and yet to have a bye?

Rationale for Jackson at #7 (who ranks #10 in fantasy points among RBs according to Huddle Performance scoring)

• Only three backs average more than his 24 touches per game (AP, CJ, Gore)

• Only five backs average more than his 112 yards per game (AP, Foster, Gore, Bradshaw, McFadden)

• He's one of a handful of backs you don't have to worry about someone stealing his goal line looks, third-down snaps, or in general sharing his touches

• He's demonstrated the ability to play through not just pain but also injury

Of the five guys immediately behind him, who would you rather have ahead of him?

McCoy, whose goal line looks and dump-off receptions likely go down with Vick back under center

LT, who is sharing carries with Greene

Bradshaw, who gives up goal line looks to Jacobs

MoJo, who is struggling as the Jags' only offensive threat behind a banged-up offensive line

Turner, who has been much more inconsistent than expected thus far

Every back from 6 on down has questions; in my mind, Jackson has answered more than most, so he gets that spot. You're certainly welcome to disagree, but at least now you know some thought went into putting him there.

2V

Rationale for Jackson at #7 (who ranks #10 in fantasy points among RBs according to Huddle Performance scoring)

• Only three backs average more than his 24 touches per game (AP, CJ, Gore)

• Only five backs average more than his 112 yards per game (AP, Foster, Gore, Bradshaw, McFadden)

• He's one of a handful of backs you don't have to worry about someone stealing his goal line looks, third-down snaps, or in general sharing his touches

• He's demonstrated the ability to play through not just pain but also injury

Of the five guys immediately behind him, who would you rather have ahead of him?

McCoy, whose goal line looks and dump-off receptions likely go down with Vick back under center

LT, who is sharing carries with Greene

Bradshaw, who gives up goal line looks to Jacobs

MoJo, who is struggling as the Jags' only offensive threat behind a banged-up offensive line

Turner, who has been much more inconsistent than expected thus far

Every back from 6 on down has questions; in my mind, Jackson has answered more than most, so he gets that spot. You're certainly welcome to disagree, but at least now you know some thought went into putting him there.

2V

The big disadvantage to Jackson IMO is the Rams. When teams become predictable the opposing D can focus on what they're doing. It's not like the Rams will probably blow out some teams and stick with the running game. They may beat the lowly Panthers before a bye, but SF has a good D along with Seattle and while they're are predictably easy games, I just don't believe Jackson is going to be worth more than guys like Bradshaw, LT, MJD and Charles... would you trade one of them for him? I'm not saying he's going to be bad, but with a hurt finger and WR's dropping like flies I don't see how the current #12 RB is going to pick it up a few notches to make it to #7.

Side note - Jackson is steady with about 15 +/- 3 every week. That's a good thing, but not worthy of #7 IMO.

Edited by Thews40

The big disadvantage to Jackson IMO is the Rams. When teams become predictable the opposing D can focus on what they're doing. It's not like the Rams will probably blow out some teams and stick with the running game. They may beat the lowly Panthers before a bye, but SF has a good D along with Seattle and while they're are predictably easy games, I just don't believe Jackson is going to be worth more than guys like Bradshaw, LT, MJD and Charles... would you trade one of them for him? I'm not saying he's going to be bad, but with a hurt finger and WR's dropping like flies I don't see how the current #12 RB is going to pick it up a few notches to make it to #7.

Side note - Jackson is steady with about 15 +/- 3 every week. That's a good thing, but not worthy of #7 IMO.

Seems like Jackson had essentially those same issues last year and finished as the #9 fantasy back. And the predictable/opposing D focus angle could also be applied to MoJo. The other three backs (Bradshaw, LT, and Charles) are all sharing carries. I don't expect everyone to think like me (the world would be a pretty boring place if they did), but I'm more inclined to put my faith in the guy who's getting all the opportunities.

2V

QUARTERBACKS

You lost all credibility with Kitna at 14....and ahead of Fitz. Fitz not only has he put up numbers he has also been consistent against the likes of the Jets D, Ravens D and lesser extent NE D that my friends is impressive. I watched the Ravens game and he was throwing lasers

Since we're discussing it, Brady is too high at #4 given the dynamic of the offense now. I'd put Orton and Rivers ahead of him for sure. I'm also not sure why Hakeem Nicks is down at 8th. He seems top 5 to me. He can take Miles Austin's spot in the top 5 actually.

I would actually put Big Ben ahead of him right now too...making Brady #8 today. However, there are a number of QBs that IMO could pass him by the end of the year (Schaub and Vick immediately come to mind). Brady could end the year outside the top 10.

You lost all credibility with Kitna at 14....and ahead of Fitz. Fitz not only has he put up numbers he has also been consistent against the likes of the Jets D, Ravens D and lesser extent NE D that my friends is impressive. I watched the Ravens game and he was throwing lasers

So he would regain his credibility if he had Fitz 14, and Kitna 15?

must disagree with Keller #5. Santonio is back which will cut his targets in half. Bad weather soon means 1/3 less pass attempts for Sanchez. here on out Keller wont be top ten. Just saying.

I know that Keller is fast, but something tells me that Holmes isn't going to be the guy catching the balls that would typically go to Keller. Holmes could even help Keller just by merit of keeping drives going.

The problem with Kitna is the Dallas O-line. He is a statue. Romo was pretty mobile and is still out for the year after a tough sack. Kitna might have some nice games, but he's gonna have some pure stinkers where he's sacked 5-7 times as well. The schedule is not kind.

Lost ALL credibility? For ranking 1 QB just one slot above where you'd rank him? A bit harsh, wouldn't you say? Don't forget that just a few of Fitz's games will be played in the cold of Buffalo. The Bills will likely become a bit more run oriented at that time, IMO.