[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

San Francisco 49ers

jbran23

I was joking around with a friend about the Niners starting Troy Smith and how maybe the coaching staff finally realizes the season is over and are maybe trying to go into the tank to get a high draft pick. Might not be too far from reality.

Who are some of the QB's coming out of college next year that have first round potential? I dont follow college football nearly as much as pros. More than anything, I would love to see SF make strong move to get Kevin Kolb. Maybe if Vick continues to play well when he comes back Kolb will become available.

Im just a 49ers fan trying to explore some options. This year hurts more than ever after coming in with hopes of the playoffs.

Edited by jbran23

Jake Locker (Washington) and Ryan Mallett (Arkansas) come to mind.

I'll have to take a look at these guys. Would you say they are top ten picks or where do you think they would fall? Do you think its safe to say that if the Niners have the opportunity to draft a top QB with their #1 pick that they will? I would hope it should be apparent to them at this point that Alex Smith is not the answer.

Jake Locker (Washington) and Ryan Mallett (Arkansas) come to mind.

Bust and a definite maybe. Locker's turned into a mess.Luck's the guy,

I wouldn't count out Troy Smith. Never seen what he can do in any length of time, and I'll say his Heisman warrants him this half season shot he's finally gotten.

The thing that pains me about going the draft route rather than trade is the time it will take to develop another QB. With the length of RB's careers in the NFL it would suck to waste the best years of Frank Gores career because we couldnt put a decent QB under center.

the 49ers' best shot at a QB who will be effective in the near-term will be through free agency or trade (i.e. a top 5 number one pick in 2011???) they also need to dismantle the coaching staff, the same staff that keeps shouting "Alex Smith is our guy," and bring a HC and OC with experience and success on board.

i agree that Luck is a solid option at QB if they decide to draft him, however it will be a few years of hard knocks before we learn whether or not he's the QB of the future. with the way the organization has been run, and the lack of success the team has been having over the course of the last decade or so, i'm not sure how much more the fan base will be willing to suffer.

it would also be nice if the York family was out of the picture, but that's just wishing on my part.