[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Week 8 JUMbotron

JUMbotron

Here's exactly what I'm talking about with Kitna (and Shaun Hill earlier this year).

Bob Sturm of The Ticket 1310 AM, a Cowboys homer, he hosts The Ticket's Cowboys pregame show is talking about a "limited arm."

"The only way that he can find success is for the Cowboys to run the football...."

http://sturminator.blogspot.com/

Why do you say that Bob? I've been heavily involved in pro football for 20 years and I think Kitna throws a crisp, dynamic spiral. I've seen it with my own eyes. How do you throw for over 27,000 yards, succeeding for offensive gurus like Mike Holmgren, Bob Bratkowski, and Mike Martz - if you have a weak or limited arm? For all we know, Kitna can throw it further than Tony Romo right now.

It just blows my mind when people say these things.

Jamarcus Russell was a strong-armed QB, Chad Pennington a weak-one....arm strength is not only not the single indicator of success, its a poor one, and probably much less telling than past history itself..

Even supposing Kitna was a "weak armed QB". ...he's a seasoned veteran with demonstrated success and years younger than other QBs that have had much success in the NFL.....did he have some debilitating arm/shoulder injury or something to discount that??

If not, go with past history, he's an interesting play....and who knows? Maybe that veteran leadership "X" factor he provides is EXACTLY what the Cowboys need?

The ol' Chris Johnson twitch... many rumors and wive's tales about it.

It's just a nervous tic. Per his own words he started doing that in high school.

It has nothing to do with his neck surgery in 2006, but it's a convenient tie-in for those looking for a reason. Car accident, Tourette's, neck damage, all untrue. And the daunting "surgery" was just for one cracked vertebrae. Chris actually sustained it in 2006 vs. Central Florida and kept playing through four more games before half-heartedly agreeing to an X-ray. Then they found the crack.

I really appreciate all the insight in your article. Great stuff; thank you.

I would certainly agree that Kitna can throw bombs. He is, however, also capable of posting negative fantasy points.

Here are some stats during his [meh] seasons as a Bengals:

2003 Bengals 16 Starts- 3,591 yds 26 TD 15Int 4 Fum

2002 Bengals 12 Starts 3,178 yds 16 TD 16 Int 6 Fum

2001 Bengals 15 Starts 3,216 yds 12 TD 22 Int 4 Fum

The guy plays hard and can put up good numbers, but just isn't consistent enough IMO

Thank you for the information on Addai, and thanks for all your contributions JUMbotron.

Edited by aruss

Good article, one of the best on this site. I look forward to reading it every Friday morning.

I'd had a bad feeling about Addai's nerve damage, and after reading your piece I dumped him for Hart.

I also picked Mathews off the waiver in my league a few weeks back, not too impressed so far, but we'll see. I'd like to see him catch some balls in the screen, I think getting him the ball with some room and a running start could work out well, but they keep using Sproles as the pass catching back.

Edited by hardway

Man I wish I was in a league with people dropping Mathews.

That's funny about the CJ twitch. A buddy at work and I always have that discussion on why he does it.

Great article by the way Jum, I'm giving Kitna the nod this week over Henne.

Another solid bit of input from JUMbo. I agree, Kitna is a viable option. Especially if you are not deducted for INTs. I watched him play in the Lions games and he is not afraid to throw. He may not help Dallas win but they can't run the ball all day and there is simply too many talented recievers.

Unless Jacksonville's defense is THAT bad, Kitna is probably just as likely to be carted off the field as he is having a good fantasy game. The offensive line is that bad. They can't run block and they can't pass protect. On the rare occasion when they actually block well that is usually secondary to a hold, false start or hands to the face. And Kitna is less mobile than Romo.

Now I don't know anything about Jacksonville's defense. If they are just competent then Kitna better make sure his affairs are in order. Romo hasn't been the problem and Kitna won't be either but I think Jacksonville's front 7 dictates messing with Kitna. If they are just average, they will probably be too much for Dallas to handle.

I'm a Cowboys fan so I hope you are right and I'm wrong.

The only chance of success Kitna has IMO, is a more balanced attack. Whether or not they can make that happen, I don't know.

If they are going to throw the ball 50 times with Kitna, he will not last. It's pretty simple.

Does he make a good play this weekend? Heck yes.