[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints hiding Brees injury?

rajncajn

The report claims that the Saints are hiding a fracture & torn meniscus in Brees' knee. I'm not buying this one either & considering the source I'm not in the least surprised. Kenny Wilkerson was fired from WWL radio and blackballed from the Saints organization a couple of seasons ago for leaking unsubstantiated rumors to a message board & has been bitter about it ever since.

Edit to add: This is also the same guy who went two weeks ago after the loss to Cleveland saying that Brees only plays for himself.

Posted by Mike Florio on November 4, 2010 12:42 PM ET

Ever since Saints quarterback Drew Brees suffered a knee "situation" on September 26 against the Falcons, rumors have circulated that it's more than a little soreness.

Kenny Wilkerson of WIST radio in New Orleans recently reported, with a high degree of conviction and passion, that Brees has a fracture and a torn meniscus in the knee.

Wilkerson cites an "impeccable source," and he claims that the information is "100 thousand-trillion-million percent" accurate.

Wilkerson also claims that, at times, the pain is causing Brees to make mistakes when calling or executing plays, citing unnamed sources in the offensive huddle.

Though we have no knowledge to confirm or debunk that information, Wilkerson's suggestion that Brees will need "microfracture" surgery to repair the "fracture" gives us pause. Though I'm no doctor (and every current or future medical patient in the world should be happy about that), I don't think "microfracture" surgery is used to repair "small fractures."

That said, the question isn't the treatment but the condition. And if Wilkerson's information is accurate, the Saints would be the latest team to cover up an injury through the end of the season, at which time Brees would have surgery without any sanction for hiding the condition.

As long as Brees doesn't talk about the injury over and over and over and over again.

Edited by rajncajn

I remember wincing when he got hit vs Atlanta (same game where Pierre got wrecked).

I'd say there's a good chance this fracture/meniscus thing is true. The thing is, these chip fractures in the kneecap aren't extremely serious, but the meniscus flapping around can be awfully painful. The meniscus will have to be surgically repaired, if that's what it is... Microfracture procedures have nothing to do with a fracture, it's a term used for the micro-drilling they do into the kneecap to try and stimulate cartilage growth.

All in all, I'm a little more worried about Brees than I was before. But unless he takes another shot to the knee I bet he can get through this. Heroic, for sure.

I remember wincing when he got hit vs Atlanta (same game where Pierre got wrecked).

I'd say there's a good chance this fracture/meniscus thing is true. The thing is, these chip fractures in the kneecap aren't extremely serious, but the meniscus flapping around can be awfully painful. The meniscus will have to be surgically repaired, if that's what it is... Microfracture procedures have nothing to do with a fracture, it's a term used for the micro-drilling they do into the kneecap to try and stimulate cartilage growth.

All in all, I'm a little more worried about Brees than I was before. But unless he takes another shot to the knee I bet he can get through this. Heroic, for sure.

If he actually did have a tear then why would he quit wearing the brace if he still has the excuse of it being sprained? And if it's so painful then why hasn't anybody noticed him walking with a limp? It just doesn't make any sense. Wilkerson also claimed that Brees was being shot up heavily with pain meds & that's why he made the mistakes in the Cleveland game. That he was forgetting plays and making mental errors. I guess KW didn't take into account the offensive line playing like crap & Brees having to run his ass off the entire game.

Except the guy is claiming it's a break when he says:

Kenny Wilkerson of WIST radio in New Orleans recently reported, with a high degree of conviction and passion, that Brees has a fracture and a torn meniscus in the knee.

I'm with rajn and call BS.

If he actually did have a tear then why would he quit wearing the brace if he still has the excuse of it being sprained? And if it's so painful then why hasn't anybody noticed him walking with a limp? It just doesn't make any sense. Wilkerson also claimed that Brees was being shot up heavily with pain meds & that's why he made the mistakes in the Cleveland game. That he was forgetting plays and making mental errors. I guess KW didn't take into account the offensive line playing like crap & Brees having to run his ass off the entire game.

Answer.

If he was kicking field goals with this supposedly bad leg, that seals it for me. This story is either a load of crap or a gross exaggeration.

Seeing how this isn't the only site with this story on the main page I find it worrysome if it's complete B.S. If it is found to be false these sites should do a little more research before posting this garbage. I, along with everybody else have seen nothing to make me think there is any truth to this. Plus I just picked him up in a trade!

Seeing how this isn't the only site with this story on the main page I find it worrysome if it's complete B.S. If it is found to be false these sites should do a little more research before posting this garbage. I, along with everybody else have seen nothing to make me think there is any truth to this. Plus I just picked him up in a trade!

All of the sites are getting it from the same source.

Official_Saints Twitter

@drewbrees reiterated he is fine. Entertained media with a few jumping jacks & high knees. Said he could drop kick 40 yds. :wacko:

per Jonathon Goodwin via Twitter.

All these conspiracy theories. Smh

I think that points towards the PT deal as well.

Edited by rajncajn

All of the sites are getting it from the same source.

But there's no discretion being used here: according to this guy Brees has a broken bone somewhere in his leg yet he's been seen at practice normally. The mod here wants to go back to a limp seen in week 3 to justify it. 6 weeks ago.

I'm guessing all these sites would post that the sky is orange, not blue, if a blog posted it but they wouldn't do due diligence to actually go outside and check for themselves.

It's not an earth-shattering major injury either way. Chip fractures in the kneecap don't need surgery. And again, the meniscus, lots of guys can get through it depending on the tear. Pills and shots help. And coaches and players always laugh when these leaks get back to them. :wacko: They lie like dogs. It's part of their job, lying to the media.

We'll find out what Brees' knee problem really was in February or March when the dust settles.

Kenny Wilkerson is a f'n idiot.

This.

And in other Saints news..

Saints head coach Sean Payton says running back Reggie Bush returned to the practice field today for the first time since breaking his leg in September.

"He was limited," Payton said. "He's still not moving the way you would like. He is making a lot of progress quickly."

The coach didn't say when he expected Bush to play in a game again.

"Each day we try to give him more to do," Payton explained. "More than anything it's still the getting to where he's real confident and comfortable planting and driving off that leg, but he did more today than certainly he did yesterday or up 'til now."

Meanwhile Payton said that corner back Jabari Greer is likely to play Sunday in Carolina. He's been out three weeks with a shoulder injury.

"He practiced and took all the snaps today. The joint's strong," the coach said. "I'm encouraged with where he's at, so I think he's going to play."

Other key injuries included running back Pierre Thomas, who was held out of practice again as were tackle John Stinchcomb and corner back Patrick Robinson.

Payton described reports on the Internet about quarterback Drew Brees allegedly having a far more serious knee injury than previously reported as "inaccurate" and "not right, completely false."

The coach insisted that Brees isn't even wearing a brace or a sleeve on his knee.

Edited by myhousekey