[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

PT done in New Orleans?

theeohiostate

Word out of Foxborough, Mass., is that Saints running back Pierre Thomas (injured left ankle and all) apparently was close to becoming a member of the New England Patriots. The teams apparently discussed a deal on the eve of the trading deadline on Oct. 19 - Thomas for a cornerback. Talks, according to a source, ended when the Patriots wanted the Saints to throw in a draft pick. … The Saints did not put in a waiver claim on either of the two marquee players Wednesday -- WR Randy Moss and LB Shawne Merriman. Moss was awarded to the Tennessee Titans at No. 23 in the waiver order and Merriman went to the Buffalo Bills at No. 1. No other team put a claim in on Moss. Miami and Tampa Bay put claims in on Merriman. The Saints are presently in the 22nd waiver slot based on their 5-3 record.

Source

Appears PT's days are numbered. It would make sense that PT is really taking his time healing and Ivory may continue to have value throughout the season. It's seems possible that the Saints are moving ahead without PT.

Edited by theeohiostate

I think it's possible PT may have played his last down in N.O. , at least in the starting role. Payton has been publicly critical of PT and we know these players ego's are broken like glass when called out to the media.

I posted my thoughts on it in the Bush PT thread, but here it is again. And Payton wasn't publicly critical of PT, that was only a rumor & both parties stated that they didn't know where that info came from.

Bush & Thomas sat out of practice, Ivory was a full-go.

Also, I don't believe it, but I have to report it. It was said yesterday that Thomas was "almost traded to the Pats for a cornerback." While I don't doubt it may have been discussed, I have extreme doubts that the Saints would look to trade PT given the lack of depth at the position and what he does for the offense. Some fans have read this as the Saints really liking Ivory & ready to part ways with Thomas who is in the last year of his contract. But right now Ivory is nowhere near the level of PT in terms of pass protection, vision & ability to run the screen game.

I completely respect your knowledge of events in the Big Easy. We must consider where there is smoke, there is fire however. This may have some truth to it , we'll see here in a few weeks, when I'd suspect PT is 100%.

And that's why I posted it. If true it could have some big implications for PT owners as well as Ivory & Green-Ellis owners. My hope is that they do resign him in the offseason, but I do believe he's looking for more money than the Saints want to pay and to me that would be the only reason they would let him go. However, unless his ankle is a lot worse than I've heard and he won't be playing the rest of the season, I can't imagine them parting ways with him now.

I posted my thoughts on it in the Bush PT thread, but here it is again. And Payton wasn't publicly critical of PT, that was only a rumor & both parties stated that they didn't know where that info came from.

Keep in mind, they still have Hamilton that is currently on IR. Hamilton looked good in the lead role when given the opportuntity and Ivory, well, is young and has great potential.

Boy am I glad I traded this clown so I don't have to deal with all this speculation anymore.

Ugh - I wanted to dump PT's arse a few weeks ago, and I am getting itchy to dump him again. I HATE tying up roster space on injury/problem child cases like this. Better to take a flyer on a prospect or steal someone else's handcuff than to keep hoping a player gets healthy/in the lineup by the FF playoffs.

Edited by historymike