[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Todd Haley

Menudo

While Charles had 100 combined yards on 15 touches.

We'll see if the Chiefs' loss forces Haley to make any adjustments.

It was only a matter of time before his buffonery caught up to him. Again, if Cable gave Bush twice as many carries as to Bush instead of McFadden, the Raiders may have very well lost this game.

Let's look at it from touches and see what Haley sees

Charles: 15 touches, 100 yards

Jones: 19 touches, 32 yards

There it is. I see it now. Of course I'm into my second case of Boulevard Wheats. What's Haley/Weis' excuse?

I found this funny....

Entering the weekend, the Chiefs led the NFL in rushing average, racking up a staggering 190 yards per game. Jamaal Charles is young, shifty and quick. He had 177 rushing yards last week. Thomas Jones is experienced, strong and smart. Two weeks ago, he had 125 yards rushing for his second consecutive game with at least 100 yards.

On Sunday, Jones was stifled. Charles wasn’t given much of a chance. The Chiefs’ terrific ground game was muffled, and so was Kansas City.

“We just couldn’t really get going,” Jones said after the Chiefs lost 23-20 in overtime at Oakland Coliseum.

Jones finished with 32 yards in 19 carries. Charles averaged 5.3 yards in his 10 carries, but he was a victim Sunday of a team that appeared to panic when its best weapons began firing blanks.

When the Chiefs’ rush offense struggled against the Raiders, the team turned to its pass offense and quarterback Matt Cassel, and neither has been especially inspiring this year. Neither needed to, when Jones and Charles were doing what they’ve been doing.

In its previous seven games, Kansas City used a mostly one-dimensional offense. And that worked. Then it didn’t work immediately Sunday, and the Chiefs bailed out. Cassel attempted a season-high 35 passes, completing 20 of them.

“We have a Plan A, a Plan B, a Plan C,” coach Todd Haley said. “And you’d better have a Plan D, just in case, because you don’t know exactly what’s going to happen.”

Approached in the locker room Sunday, Charles said he wouldn’t answer questions about the game.

I'm not an NFL head coach, but Haley has been diminishing the chances of his best playmaker to make plays all season long. It's worked out well thus far generally. But when you lose, it seems really f'n dumb.

Edited by bushwacked

I'm not an NFL head coach, but Haley has been diminishing the chances of his best playmaker to make plays all season long. It's worked out well thus far generally. But when you lose, it seems really f'n dumb.

I was surprised the commentators didn't mention this once during the game.

They kept saying "the run game is getting shut down." But anyone looking at the box score knew that one back was getting shut down, not the entire run game.

If you think Todd Haley is stupid because JC didn't give your fantasy football team enough points your a moron. Sorry. Haley doesn't give a rats ass about your fantasy team. Thomas Jones is a very important piece in the KC run game. He is one of the reasons why the chiefs have the top run game in the NFL. Ok so he had a bad game against the raiders, is he not allowed too? Give me a break. Haley is a big character guy and he likes having strong leadership veteran guys on the field. Thats T. Jones, thats M. Vrabel thats Brian Waters etc. They don't play the game to help you win your fantasy leagues. Certain situations KC wanted to exploit the Raiders secondary since they were missing Nnamdi and that didn't work out too well since 1. Cassel can't throw. And 2. Dwayne Bowe can't catch. I didn't understand the 3rd and 1 deep pass. No need for that and Cassel over threw Moeaki because he can't throw.

If you think Todd Haley is stupid because JC didn't give your fantasy football team enough points your a moron. Sorry. Haley doesn't give a rats ass about your fantasy team. Thomas Jones is a very important piece in the KC run game. He is one of the reasons why the chiefs have the top run game in the NFL. Ok so he had a bad game against the raiders, is he not allowed too? Give me a break. Haley is a big character guy and he likes having strong leadership veteran guys on the field. Thats T. Jones, thats M. Vrabel thats Brian Waters etc. They don't play the game to help you win your fantasy leagues. Certain situations KC wanted to exploit the Raiders secondary since they were missing Nnamdi and that didn't work out too well since 1. Cassel can't throw. And 2. Dwayne Bowe can't catch. I didn't understand the 3rd and 1 deep pass. No need for that and Cassel over threw Moeaki because he can't throw.

Take fantasy implications completely out of it. I would be absolutely furious as a Chiefs fan that my head coach was not putting the ball into the hands of our team's most dangerous and explosive offensive player more often. Charles has out-played Thomas Jones in every game this year, and it's not even close. I just don't see how anyone can justify playing a guy who is signigantly less talented. If Jones was a team-player and a leader, he would tell Haley to put Charles in, as it would give the Chiefs a better chance to win. :wacko:

I'd be curious to know what they are saying about this in the Kansas City newspapers, both before and after this loss to the Raiders.

They have been talking about the split for awhile. There is just more to this than a simple talent situation.

Thomas Jones has been a model teammate and has taken Charles under his wing. I think one of the simple answers is that Haley is trying to show that hard word matters on this team. And that veteran leadership matters on this team. Remember, the culture here was terrible when they took over.

Haley, just like last year, is going to be stubborn about how he builds this team, and if it takes another year for them to be really good, then so be it. I personally think the front office and Haley know this year, right now, is kind of an aberration. They really don't have the talent yet to legitimately compete for a championship.

And they are just not going to beat Charles up this year. Which is the right thing to do.

Sucks for fantasy, but good for my homer team.

I think one of the simple answers is that Haley is trying to show that hard word matters on this team. And that veteran leadership matters on this team. Remember, the culture here was terrible when they took over.

Agree 100% here but a coach can lose his guys if it becomes/seems like megalomaniacal tinkering.

Players aren't coaches or talent evaluators but they generally know when a guy should be playing more or less. And they generally know which give them the best chance at winning. If the coach resists these guys and it results in a few losses, it's not great for the locker room. Guys certainly don't readily resign themselves to playing for 'next year' or whenever the coach decides they're ready to win. They're putting themselves on the line now, this year, this week.

Seems to me there are a few other factors here too... I think Cassel's current limitations are apparent. Haley/Weis are limited in what they can put in their gameplans and it ties their hands for in-game adjustments. Also, I think more touches for Charles would be great but I'm skeptical of his durability for 20+ touches per game for 16 games. He compares favorably to CJ but they have dissimilar builds. And for his size and build, CJ is a master at running inside. In 3 of the last 5, Charles had 19 or more touches. So while a game like this one was frustrating he is being used more than the first 3 games of the season. TJ's presence is frustrating but it would've been malfeasance not to find a compliment for Charles this offseason. It's hard to see Charles regularly getting the workload he had like his pace from the end of 2009 and expecting him to last more than 12 games and/or 5 or 6 seasons.