[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Collie is out cold.

CaptainHook

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not according to today's NFL rules.

(f) If a player uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/”hairline”

parts) or facemask to butt, spear, or ram an opponent violently or unnecessarily. Although

such violent or unnecessary use of the helmet and facemask is impermissible against any

opponent, game officials will give special attention in administering this rule to protecting

those players who are in virtually defenseless postures, including but not limited to:

(1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head, neck, or face with the helmet or facemask,

regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless

player by encircling or grasping him; or

(2) Lowering the head and violently or unnecessarily making forcible contact with the “hairline”

or forehead part of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body; or

(3) “Launching” (springing forward and upward) into a defenseless player, or otherwise

striking him in a way that causes the defensive player’s helmet or facemask to forcibly

strike the defenseless player’s head, neck, or face—even if the initial contact of the defender’s

helmet or facemask is lower than the defenseless player’s neck. (Examples:

a defender buries his facemask into a defenseless player’s high chest area, but the

defender’s trajectory as he leaps into the defenseless player causes the defender’s

helmet to strike the defenseless player violently in the head or face; or a defender, using

a face-on posture or with his head slightly lowered, hits a defenseless player in an

area below the defenseless player’s neck, then the defender’s head moves upward,

resulting in strong contact by the defender’s mask or helmet with the defenseless player’s

head, neck, or face [an example is the so-called “dip and rip” technique]).

Note: The provisions of section (f) do not prohibit incidental contact by the mask or noncrown

parts of the helmet in the course of a conventional tackle on an opponent.

(g) if the initial force of the contact by a defender’s helmet (including facemask), forearm, or

shoulder is to the head or neck area of a defenseless player.

Note: Defenseless players in (f) and (g) shall include (i) a player in the act of or just after

throwing a pass; (ii) a receiver catching or attempting to catch a pass; (iii) a runner already

in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped; (iv) a

kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air; and (v) a player on the

ground at the end of a play.

Note: Launching is defined as springing forward and upward by a player who leaves his

feet to make contact on the receiver.

the league is already trying to cover their officials call saying that the flag was because Collie hadn't yet gotten his second foot down....at least the color guys are able to talk about it in an unbiased manner

philly fans are ridiculous. Helmet to helmet contact. Booing as Collie is down. ridiculous.

You are ridiculous. Why not bring up Santa clause? It was only 50 years ago. People were booing the flag and non fumble call. Guess you missed the standing applause as he was removed from the field. Sad all around.

The helmet to helmet contact was incidental after the initial hit which was clean. What is the second defender supposed to do, stop in mid air after he sees that Collie isnt where he thought he was going to be. Total BS call and it ended up costing the Eagles big.

yeah it definitely was not a penalty. It wasn't a catch either. Anyone have any updates on collie? Can he move his legs?

He was moving his legs before they put him on the board and stretcher. Simms also said he saw him moving his arms or hands.

I agree the Philly safety should not be fined. I also have already said I don't think it's a cheap shot.

But he did come in with his helmet first. When the ref sees that, and then helmet to helmet contact in a bang-bang type play, it's a penalty.

Collie is sitting up and alert. Most likely a concussion.

I agree the Philly safety should not be fined. I also have already said I don't think it's a cheap shot.

But he did come in with his helmet first. When the ref sees that, and then helmet to helmet contact in a bang-bang type play, it's a penalty.

Collie is sitting up and alert. Most likely a concussion.

he did not lead with his helmet, he lead with his shoulder but when Collie got hit by the first guy he got redirected into his helmet, that's why it's incidental and that's why it's not a penalty.

You are ridiculous. Why not bring up Santa clause? It was only 50 years ago. People were booing the flag and non fumble call. Guess you missed the standing applause as he was removed from the field. Sad all around.

Was more upset with Samuel running around throwing his hands up and yelling at the refs around Collie's limp body.

that's all i want to know guys. I'm not tuned into every media outlet at the moment but it is quite disturbing to me when someone young like that suffers a serious spinal cord injury. So if you could just simply answer my question and not be a sarcastic prick I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

sitting up and alert is word on collie

You can't make a tackle in this league, injure a player and NOT get flagged. Ridiculous.

In fairness to the refs this was totally a bang-bang play in real-time and the guy was out before he hit the ground. As an official you almost have to throw the flag, just as a reactionary measure. It happened so fast that, with all the protect the player emphasis, I'm not sure how they could have held the flag.

No, it should not have been a penalty. The guy caught the ball and was making a move - he's now a runner and was albe to protect himself (he was actually ducking his head) so this is a "fair" hit.

I'd love to see a way to avoid these kinds of plays as well but I'm not sure how you do it. Maybe just tell defenders "all helmet to helmet is a penalty - you take your chances leading with your head". It kind of sucks, but the NFL cannot allow these debilitating plays to happen. 20 years ago there were just big tough guys beating up on each other. Now, knowing what we do about head injuries and the risks around them, the game must evolve.

:tup: whatever

you are ridiculous, he did not lead with his helmet, he tried to hit him with his shoulder but when he got hit by the first guy Collie's trajectory changed and that's why he hit his helmet. I hate Homers :wacko:

In fairness to the refs this was totally a bang-bang play in real-time and the guy was out before he hit the ground. As an official you almost have to throw the flag, just as a reactionary measure. It happened so fast that, with all the protect the player emphasis, I'm not sure how they could have held the flag.

No, it should not have been a penalty. The guy caught the ball and was making a move - he's now a runner and was albe to protect himself (he was actually ducking his head) so this is a "fair" hit.

I'd love to see a way to avoid these kinds of plays as well but I'm not sure how you do it. Maybe just tell defenders "all helmet to helmet is a penalty - you take your chances leading with your head". It kind of sucks, but the NFL cannot allow these debilitating plays to happen. 20 years ago there were just big tough guys beating up on each other. Now, knowing what we do about head injuries and the risks around them, the game must evolve.

it was a bang bang play...yet the NFL has already stated that the penalty was called because the 2nd foot wasn't down yet...there is no way in the world that any official could tell that in real time...but the point that he was out while unfortunate has nothing to do with if a flag should be thrown or not

you are ridiculous, he did not lead with his helmet, he tried to hit him with his shoulder but when he got hit by the first guy Collie's trajectory changed and that's why he hit his helmet. I hate Homers :wacko:

Don't label all homers. I personally see nothing wrong with the play, don't think the defender deserved a penalty and didn't see any leading with his head. There was head to head contact, after the initial hit knocked Collie into the second defender.

Glad to hear Collie is aware and hopefully only concussed. I plan to attend open tryouts for WR though, not sure who there is left after White that can play. Taj Smith? Many of us could do just as good.