[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

12 Team leagues PLEASE READ

Phazool

8 teams out of 12 make it in one of my leagues....play 11 weeks (all teams play each other one time). Week #12 8 playoff teams face off. Week #13 4 remaining teams play. Week #14 & #15 Two week cumulative points Super Bowl.

KO'd

I am the commish of a 12 team league. We have been in playing together for 3 years. We have a Standard PPR league.

The reason for this post is to see how many playoff teams most 12 team leagues have. We currently have 4 but I am trying to convince my league to expand it to 6. So far more than half the league agrees but I want everyone to be on board. I don't want some guys angry about the change.

One of the owners who disagreed with the expansion posted this as his reasoning: "

in a 12 team league a .500 team should not make the playoffs and no way half of the teams in the league should. it makes the regular season much less important when 6/12 make the playoffs

whatever the reason for your record at the end of the year, the teams who performed best in a 14 week regular season should get the chance to win money"

I would like to know from my fellow huddlers if having 6 teams is against the norm. Please reply with how many teams you have make the playoffs in YOUR 12 team league. Thanks.

My 12 team leagues faced the same dilemma. Having only 4 teams in the playoffs rendered the league useless to 8 people in weeks 15 & 16... ending their seasons just too early. But we didn't want to diminish the relevance of the regular season by having half the league make the playoffs and we didn't want any byes during the playoffs.

Our league entry fee is $125 giving us a $1,500 payout pool.

Here was our solution to include more teams but not dimish the relevance of the regular season:

The top 4 after the regular season play in our "Championship Bracket" during weeks 15 and 16, with $1,400 in payouts to these 4 teams.

1st place : $625 (wins in both weeks 15 & 16)

2nd place: $325 (win week 15, lose week 16)

3rd place: $300 (lose week 15, win week 16)

4th place: $150 (lose in both weeks 15 & 16)

5th through 8th place after the regular season play in our "Consolation Bracket" during weeks 15 & 16, with the survivor getting the remaining $100 as a 5th place prize.

This keeps the importance of finishing in the top 4 critical. This allows 4 additional teams to have some fun by playing for something in week 15 and the two winners that week continue to week 16.

It works.

Oh yeah... 9th through 12th place finishers in the regular season have their wives and g/f's serve the rest of us drinks during week 16. Lapdances optional.

Edited by Dcat

I say 4. It is BS to work your a$$ off all season to have the eith place team have a shot at the championship.

The league I ran for almost a decade had two brackets of playoffs.

The first tier, 3 division winners and a WC, that played for the big money (and were the only teams allowed to pick up FAs).

Second Tier were the next four teams. The prize for winning that was equal to the money that the 4th place team in the first bracket won.

Doing this means the pot is spread further and the 1st place prize is not as big as in other leagues, but at least more teams have a shot at getting some cash while not killing the integrity of the hard work/luck of the top four finishers.

I play in a league where eight teams go and I do not like it. It is not big money and I am tight with a few of the guys. I keep telling myself that when my winnings don't cover the dues I will quit, but that hasn't happened yet. So... I play for free until I can't anymore :wacko:

We do 4. 3 Division winners and 1 wild card. And, the reason is the scheduling. We start the season with 3 intradivision games. Then the byes hit and we play every team NOT in our division. In week 12, after the byes are over, we return to our division for 3 more games. It's a perfectly balanced schedule and those last three weeks of the season are almost like playoffs for everyone. It works well.

Our league has 4 playoff spots. 12 teams are split into 3 divisions and the playoff spots go to the 3 division winners and the team with the next most points scored. We have a 14-game regular season with playoffs weeks 15 and 16. There are no playoff byes.

There's a consolation playoff bracket for the #5-8 teams who compete for the Toilet Bowl trophy (small money payout to keep owners interested).

Six playoff teams seems like too many. You will definitely have .500 or possibly sub-.500 teams making the playoffs. Up to you guys if that's what you want, but when a 6-8 or 7-6-1 team inevitably knocks out a 10-4 or 11-3 team, there will be grumblings about the significance of the regular season (as your league-mate suggests).

Most of the 12 teamers I am in have 6 make the playoffs. WCOFF is an exception, but as that is not a standard league, I won;t count it in what you are looking for.

Perhaps make this suggestion -

Assuming a league with 2 6-team divisions, top 2 playoff spots go to the teams with the best record in each division. If you prefer to keep the divisions separate for playoffs, culminating in a Super Bowl between the division winners, then have the first "wild card" spot for each division be the 2nd best record in each division and the 2nd "wild card" spot from each division be the highest scoring team of the remaining teams. This is a hybrid of how WCOFF does their playoffs and something that I like, as it rewards not just the teams that did well head to head, but also the teams that theoretically were better overall (higher points scored) but may have had poor luck in the schedule department.

I also like to have a consolation bracket for the 6 teams not making the playoffs. Small cash prize for the team that wins it, or, in keeper leagues, it could be a playoff for the #1 pick the following year, which is one way to help keep teams trying for the ntire season and always building the best possible team, as it takes away some of the incentive to lose when the draft order is a straight reverse order of standings.

You can do something similar for 10 team leagues. 6 teams make the playoffs, 4 go straight to the consolation bracket. The losers of the 1st round playoff games play the winners of the 1st round consolation games for the consolation bracket.

Those systems keep more teams involved for a longer period of time and give all owners something to play for each week, adding to the fun of the league, which IMO is the main point of most "local" leagues.

We do 6 teams in the "real" play-offs and the other 6 teams in the "Bottom Bowl" basically so that all 12 teams get to play all 17 weeks (except for byes). Yes, we are one of those leagues that go 17 weeks, but it's because that allows us to A - have every team play every other team at least once, B - have every division team play every other team in its division twice and C - have the 6/6 play-off system with bye weeks for the #1/2 and #7/8 teams in each bracket.

I think this system will actually be perfect for a 12-team league if/when the NFL goes to an 18 game schedule.

I'm in two 12-team leagues. One's a dynasty where six teams make the playoffs. The other is a local where I'm commissioner. Last year was the first time we had 12 teams. Six teams made the playoffs. This year we switched things up (from a suggestion I got last year on this board). Three divisions: Each of the division winners plus a wildcard makes the "championship round," so four teams advance for the big money. Middle four teams compete to win their entry fee back. Bottom four compete for the toilet bowl. We'll see how it goes, but currently, one of the division leaders is the seventh-best team.

This is brilliant. It is exactly what we were looking for. I love that everyone has a reason to play to week 16. It keeps the bad teams interested and willing to participate instead of ignoring the waiver wire and allowing the good teams to get better. We added a weekly prize that payed the "highest points by a losing franchise." but it was favorable to the better teams and just seemed unfair that in 9 weeks only 4 different guys won the 25 bucks for the week. I guess we didn't foresee that the bad teams would hardly be the highest scorers. So, adding two more teams to the playoff bracket seemed like a sure fix until some guys didn't agree. After showing them the playoff system described above, we were all sold. We love it. We've also added that the 6 teams that don't win anything are randomly selected for next years top 6 draft spots. The remaining 6 are placed in order of how they finished last season. The 12th pick being the superbowl winner, 11th pick for the 2nd place finisher and so on....

Thanks again for all of your replies.

Oh and we are also adding a survivor pool. Each week the lowest scorer is out of the pool.

Edited by Phazool