[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets Backfield now "50/50"

DoubleDown11

With the Jets announcing a 50/50 backfield split for the second half of the season, where does everyone see LT and Shonn Greene's respective values going forward?

Clearly, his production over the last several weeks has dropped LT from a low-end number one to a low-end number two; is it safe to assume he is nothing more than flex worthy the rest of the year?

The more intriguing impact is how this affects Greene....drafted as a legit number two, he has fallen to bench material and now is creeping into adequate flex play. Do we think he has a good chance of eclipsing LT and becoming a solid number two for the fantasy playoff push?

Look forward to your thoughts.

With the Jets announcing a 50/50 backfield split for the second half of the season, where does everyone see LT and Shonn Greene's respective values going forward?

Clearly, his production over the last several weeks has dropped LT from a low-end number one to a low-end number two; is it safe to assume he is nothing more than flex worthy the rest of the year?

The more intriguing impact is how this affects Greene....drafted as a legit number two, he has fallen to bench material and now is creeping into adequate flex play. Do we think he has a good chance of eclipsing LT and becoming a solid number two for the fantasy playoff push?

Look forward to your thoughts.

Since I traded LT for Greene in a keeper league several weeks ago anticipating LT wearing down, I say yes.

I'd say borderline #2 or flex at best. The one thing I didn't expect is that when he does get his chance, he's awful. This isn't anywhere near the guy we saw last year, running with authority and hitting gaps quickly. I saw something the other day about him being overweight and that is pretty much what it looks like - I swear sometimes I think he's got cinderblocks on instead of cleats. I don't know if this is something he'll be able to turn around mid-season. I'd guess it's going to take an off-season to fix.

trying to figure out where you read that...maybe it will be true but i dont see any print or quotes from the jets saying that...personally, i think its a coin flip.....i think shonn will get his turns and if he busts out he will take over but lt will still get goal line and passing....a fumble or 2 and greene is back in the doghouse that landed him there in the beginning of the season....and unless of an injuury greene will never take the goal line touches away from lt

im sure im biased because i have lt in 1 league and have always liked him, but i think its way too early to throw in the towel on him and blame the last 3 weeks production on his age and shape, the browns and texans should be a good telling of whats going to happen...

I think the whole 'LT is slowing down' talk is a bit overblown. If you look at the game logs of ANY stud at ANY position, you will see clumps of games where their stats are less than average. I'd say any stud WR or RB that has 8/16 games above average is putting up exceptional stats. Obviously LT has slown down in a general sense the last few years but the slide we've seen the last 2 games this year, I believe is normal. I fully expect LT to put up some more good games.

Matt Berry was saying this in his Love/Hate column on ESPN. Don't know where the OP got his info, but there are "bold predictions" of such.

Citing a member of the Jets' front office, NFL Network's Jason La Canfora reports that Rex Ryan's team is targeting a 50:50 timeshare between Shonn Greene and LaDainian Tomlinson for the season's second half.

It's only fair with Greene severely outplaying Tomlinson over the past four games. "It hasn't gone unnoticed (by Jets decision makers)," says La Canfora of Greene's 4.80 yards-per-carry average to Tomlinson's 3.68 since Week 4. "To expect L.T. to finish the season the way he started it might be a bit naive." Greene was a first-half fantasy bust, but the Jets can't continue to keep him on the back burner when he's the best option in the backfield. Greene should be in line for 12-15 touches in Week 10 at Cleveland. The arrow is pointing dangerously downward for Tomlinson's fantasy value. Nov. 10 - 10:18 pm et

Greene ought to start carrying more of the load. LT is old for a RB - there's no arguing that - and he's starting to look worn. His production in the past few weeks says it all.

Greene on the other hand gets better as he gets more work. That's typical of your work horse RBs. You look at when he's limited to 9 to 15 carries in a game and his ypc is around 4.41. That pretty good but hardly studly. The you look at when he gets 16 or more carries and his ypc jumps off the charts to 6.13. That's downright studly territory and can carry a team like NY as far as they want to feed him the ball.

This is tailor-made and simple for NY: Make Greene the hoss and let LT be the CoP. Get Greene 20+ carries for the rest of the season and let LT live on the 10-12 carries and 4 to 5 catches. That would make the Jets an incredibly tough out for any other team in the league.

Here is the thing everyone needs to keep in mind. Greene still listed as starter and for good reasons. LT was not intended to be the NYJ saving grace but more as a mentor to a stud RB that needed improvement. What better teacher than a hall of famer?

Greene could be a huge RB1 addition to anyones team during the playoff run. Week 10 should be a clear indication how things are going to pan out.

trying to figure out where you read that...

:wacko:

and

:tup:

One opposing scout tells ESPN New York's Rich Cimini that Shonn Greene "appears overweight" this season.

He also had weight issues at Iowa, at one point ballooning to 300 pounds. Cimini, a reliable beat writer, believes Greene "isn't the same back as last season." G reene did look slow early in the year, but he's been more effective on a per-play basis than LaDainian Tomlinson over the past three games. As Tomlinson's caddy, his legs should be fresh once again for the playoffs.

I sure haven't seen him more effective over the last three games, but I haven't exactly been studying the Jets' running game either. He just doesn't stand out to me as opposed to guys like Bradshaw who do.

Edited by flemingd