[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thanksgiving sides...

Jimmy Neutron

I'm doing my first Thanksgiving dinner this year as we're 700 miles from all of our famiy. I will be preparing a lot of the traditional dishes, but want to accent the meal with some memorable side dishes.

For example, my mom always does a nice baked mac and cheese. What do you guys see hit the table that's traditional for you, but may not be thought of as Thanksgiving grub?

I do a bourbon sweet potato and pear dish . . . this one below is very similar to what I do. The pears with the sweet potatoes are awesome

1/2 cup butter

3/4 cup dark corn syrup

1/2 cup pear nectar

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 cup bourbon

1 tablespoon orange juice

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon salt

4 large sweet potatoes peeled halved lengthwise and cut into 1/3” crosswise slices

4 large crisp pears peeled halved cored and cut into 1/4" lengthwise slices

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Preheat oven to 400 then butter a rectangular baking dish.

Stir butter, syrup, nectar, vanilla, bourbon and orange juice in small saucepan over medium.

Heat until butter melts then increase heat and boil 5 minutes.

Remove from heat then whisk in cinnamon, nutmeg and salt then set aside.

Arrange one third of the sweet potato slices in the buttered dish.

Top with half of the pear slices then one third of the sweet potato slices.

Arrange remaining potatoes and pears on top overlapping slightly.

Sprinkle lightly with salt if desired then pour syrup mixture over all.

Cover dish tightly with aluminum foil then bake one hour.

Uncover and bake until sweet potatoes are completely tender basting occasionally with syrup.

anything you are looking for?

a favorite of mine is chipotle/maple sweet potatoes, but requires the right crowd.

I've developed a Mashed Chipotle Sweet Potato that I am unveiling next week. :tup:

how the test kitchen coming? when you want something tried, give a jingle. :wacko:

:tup:

Squash Casserole.

Four to five yellow squash sliced.

One medium sized yellow or sweet onion, diced.

Sourcream, about 1 to 1.5 cps

Cheddar and mozarella cheese.

Bacon bits (Real ones)

Salt/Pepper to taste.

Heat the sour cream in a pan, throw in the cheese and melt it, you don't want it too thick. (salt pepper)

Layer the squash in a baking dish greased w. butter

Throw onions in the SC mix.

Pour over the squish

Put in oven at 350 until squish is tender

Take bacon bits, some people use fried onions, and sprinkle over top, put in oven for 3 to 5 more minutes.

I like it.

Truffle Mashed Potatoes

6 potatoes

2 to 3 white or black truffles, or truffle oil

1 stick of butter

white pepper

salt

Depending on what consistancy you like - 1/3 heavy cream 2/3 milk

Shave or dice truffles or pour in truffle oil.

Mix the rest of the stuff up.

I use a pastry knife to premash the potatoes

and then use a spoon to mix the rest of the stuff in. Or you can use a mixer.

Saw Flay do a roasted brussel sprout dish with vanilla butter and pomegranate seeds & syrup to dress. Will likely add this to the list of Turkey Day experiments - very interesting flavor combo. :wacko:

Edited by Jimmy Neutron

recipes please :wacko:

No recipe and never tried it before, but this is what I plan on doing:

Cut the andouille into small slices and throw in dutch oven to render fat. When ready, add onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic (all diced). I usually give the onion a little extra time. I'll then add some cajun spice blend of smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper, dried oregano, thyme. After about 7-8 minutes, I'll add the crawfish for just a few minutes. They're already cooked so I just want to incorporate some of the flavors. I'll then remove from heat and when cool, add in some crumbled cornbread and chicken stock (maybe a little cream and butter) and mix it all. I never do stuffing in a turkey so the mixture will go into a baking dish and into the oven.

Sorry....no exact measurements or times or temperatures. 350 degrees seems about right. I'll bake it long enough to dry out any excess moisture and brown on top.

Cut the andouille into small slices and throw in dutch oven to render fat. When ready, add onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic (all diced). I usually give the onion a little extra time. I'll then add some cajun spice blend of smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper, dried oregano, thyme. After about 7-8 minutes, I'll add the crawfish for just a few minutes. They're already cooked so I just want to incorporate some of the flavors. I'll then remove from heat and when cool, add in some crumbled cornbread and chicken stock (maybe a little cream and butter) and mix it all. I never do stuffing in a turkey so the mixture will go into a baking dish and into the oven.

Sorry....no exact measurements or times or temperatures. 350 degrees seems about right. I'll bake it long enough to dry out any excess moisture and brown on top.

:wacko:

Here's the link to John Besh's recipe from My New Orleans. Looks like I was on the right track but good to know some temps and time. http://www.ivillage.com/crawfish-cornbread...sing/3-r-292592 .

I do a bourbon sweet potato and pear dish . . . The pears with the sweet potatoes are awesome...

We tried this as a side for our Turkey Day this year & it was a hit ... even the folks that usually won't eat the 'traditional' sweet potato dishes that have been served at our house over the years liked this one with the pears.

Thanks for the heads up on this item.

:wacko:

I'm doing my first Thanksgiving dinner this year as we're 700 miles from all of our famiy. I will be preparing a lot of the traditional dishes, but want to accent the meal with some memorable side dishes.

For example, my mom always does a nice baked mac and cheese. What do you guys see hit the table that's traditional for you, but may not be thought of as Thanksgiving grub?

My MIL used to do home made mac and cheese. One of my favorites is copper penny carrots. We also have tamales on thanksgiving as well.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

• 4 weeks later...
Here's the link to John Besh's recipe from My New Orleans. Looks like I was on the right track but good to know some temps and time. http://www.ivillage.com/crawfish-cornbread...sing/3-r-292592 .

How was it? I've got some leftover Andouille and looking for something to make. I wonder if I can replace crawfish with shrimp?