[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Coffee Maker

gbpfan1231

I have been craving a good coffee lately and want to make from home. I love the coffee you get when in Europe. I typically am the cafe au lait or coffee with milk guy. Basically a good Cappuccino.

I have a Keurig machine that is nice and simple but just does not do it for me.

I looked and getting a good automatic espresso/cappuccino machines cost around $500 and some even more.

I saw a commercial for Nescafe Dolce Gusto and looked into that and then saw Tassimo and that looks decent.

Anyone have any of these machines? WOuld it be worth spending the money and going the route of $500 or more???

i have had a breville for 5 or 6 years that we put to serious use. about time for another one and i have been doing a bit of research......in addition to an upgrade with breville, i have heard and read good things about rancilio... you are also going to want good beans.

i have had a breville for 5 or 6 years that we put to serious use. about time for another one and i have been doing a bit of research......in addition to an upgrade with breville, i have heard and read good things about rancilio... you are also going to want good beans.

Is the Breville easy to use? I assume you are talking about the model(s) that are $500 or more? Is it worth the money above a $150 Tassimo that is basically idiot proof?

Is the Breville easy to use? I assume you are talking about the model(s) that are $500 or more? Is it worth the money above a $150 Tassimo that is basically idiot proof?

the one i have is very easy to use (was about $300-400). the one i am looking at has two options in making espresso: 1) same method i use now (pressurized dual walled filters) 2) more individualized espresso making with a non-pressurized single walled filter. the one i am looking at is about $600.

i like my machine. i see some like it on breville's site for about $150. i a looking for a change for 2 reasons: 1) i like 3 shots in my cap. new machine would mean less effort in doing that. 2) froth isn't as consistent as it used to be. new machine would be an upgrade.

At home, I'm strictly a French Press guy. Makes a great cup of coffee and costs next to nothing.

Issues I have with fancy home espresso machines:

1) It does seem like you need to either spend a ton and get a really nice one or not bother.

2) If you're not grinding to order, your coffee suffers, so that rules out all the pod machines

3) They seem to wear out quickly.

Heck, we don't even offer espresso drinks at either of my restaurants because a good machine costs several grand and a fool proof one costs more still. And you need to have a fool proof one because, unlike a coffee shop, you don't have one barista worrying about making coffee drinks, you have all your waiters and bussers worrying about that plus god-knows what else. And that means and increased likelihood of bad coffee drinks coming out. So, I'd rather just serve quality drip than take my chances. Every once in a while someone gets pissed because they "only drink espresso" but I find that rather puzzling.

I have a Capresso and it is a POS. I have had to replace parts several times over the last year because of cheap plastic in the primary moving parts. Thankfully a coffee maker is easy to work on.

When making espresso/coffee for myself I use a press or a percolator on the stove.

Huge coffee fan and enjoy French Press as well. But, there is nothing better than waking up in the morning, turning the machine on hitting the Exresso button 4 times and enjoying my morning Expresso! We bought the older version of the Titanium + in 2004 and have made 13,000+ coffees and never had a problem with it. The Gaggia Titanium is in the link below and $500 bux cheaper than the Plus... it's on sale. There are just a couple of missing bells and whistles. Great machine!

I also have a great place to buy Lavazza at wholesale.... Yuuum!

Whole Latte Love

Huge coffee fan and enjoy French Press as well. But, there is nothing better than waking up in the morning, turning the machine on hitting the Exresso button 4 times and enjoying my morning Expresso! We bought the older version of the Titanium + in 2004 and have made 13,000+ coffees and never had a problem with it. The Gaggia Titanium is in the link below and $500 bux cheaper than the Plus... it's on sale. There are just a couple of missing bells and whistles. Great machine!

Whole Latte Love

That is really tempting and looks like a good deal - still expensive but just compared that price to what I see out on Ebay and other places and it is not bad.

I have a Jura Impressa at home. It's a nice machine. Does a good job.

in my office I have a Nespresso machine. It's a pod based espresso machine. While pods are never going to give you that perfect fresh coffee taste, it's pretty darn good.

You can see machines at Williams Sonoma, and there are a few Nespresso shops around. If you are looking for a pod type of solution, it's not a bad way to go.

Whole Latte Love

Dude, if I decided to go down that path, that would be a nice way to go.

Dude, if I decided to go down that path, that would be a nice way to go.

Yea looks awesome and the reviews are good - A lot of reviews justify it by saying they now don't spend 5-10 bucks a day at Starbucks - I love a good coffee but I don't do the whole Starbucks thing and Green Bay is not a mecca for coffee places so I just get by with my watery office coffee so if I went this route I would not be saving any money but in fact spending a lot more. It sure does look good though!!!!!

Maybe set it up in the office and charge .50 to 1.00 :wacko:

Yea looks awesome and the reviews are good - A lot of reviews justify it by saying they now don't spend 5-10 bucks a day at Starbucks - I love a good coffee but I don't do the whole Starbucks thing and Green Bay is not a mecca for coffee places so I just get by with my watery office coffee so if I went this route I would not be saving any money but in fact spending a lot more. It sure does look good though!!!!!

Maybe set it up in the office and charge .50 to 1.00 :wacko:

Yep, I'd be in the same boat. I drink an espresso drink about 2x a month. Otherwise it's the french press at home or very good drip at the restaurants. So this would certainly not be a money saver for me.

ya know, reading through this thread, I'm kinda thinking I might like a little espresso rig myself. and honestly I could probably get by with something that just does espresso, I don't need all the frothy milk BS...9 times out of 10 when I order an espresso drink it's just an americano. that thing sunday linked to looks so awesome....don't really want to spend $800 though.

ya know, reading through this thread, I'm kinda thinking I might like a little espresso rig myself. and honestly I could probably get by with something that just does espresso, I don't need all the frothy milk BS...9 times out of 10 when I order an espresso drink it's just an americano. that thing sunday linked to looks so awesome....don't really want to spend $800 though.

worth looking at for an occasional user

• 1 month later...