[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rams interference?

Ramhock

That would be different than suddenly adjusting to a badly thrown (uncatchable) ball

Here's the thing, they already do the "go on a fly route and put on the breaks" deal. Every team, every game. It's the play where they intentionally under throw it. And as long as the DB is looking back for the ball, they don't call the PI. In in this case, if the DB was paying attention, he'd be the one with the best chance at catching the ball. But he wasn't. And since he wasn't playing the ball, he gets the flag. Just like they do every time.

This is not the first time a guy has had the ball thrown behind him and, yet, somehow DBs have figured out how not to run the guy over when he quickly changes his route to adjust to the ball.

Here's the thing, they already do the "go on a fly route and put on the breaks" deal. Every team, every game. It's the play where they intentionally under throw it. And as long as the DB is looking back for the ball, they don't call the PI. In in this case, if the DB was paying attention, he'd be the one with the best chance at catching the ball. But he wasn't. And since he wasn't playing the ball, he gets the flag. Just like they do every time.

This is not the first time a guy has had the ball thrown behind him and, yet, somehow DBs have figured out how not to run the guy over when he quickly changes his route to adjust to the ball.

There's a difference between intentionally underthrowing or back-shouldering a ball and a simply bad, uncatchable pass. Again, I don't think the receiver would have had a play on that ball if Atogwe wasn't even on the field. Troy Smith was going down and just flung it out there. Atogwe shouldn't be expected to "play the ball, not the man" when the ball flies 5 yards behind them both and the receiver just stops his intended route. And it's not like Atogwe took the opportunity to blow up the receiver or anything.

And, again, I'm not screaming HORRIBLE CALL or anything. I think the ref saw the contact and went right for the hanky without really considering where the pass went. Nothing really wrong with that and, as mentioned, the crew DID discuss it and stuck with the penalty. I'm okay with the call, but I think it easily could/maybe should have been ruled uncatchable.

Odd, I was on a conference call with him and the league the other day and he wasn't singing that tune then. :wacko:

:tup: Next time you talk to him, tell him we said "hey."