[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fair Trade?

iceman8819

This year a buddy contacted me about starting a money league because his future father in law was interested. Anyway the league consists of several of his family members and a few friends we have in common. Prior to week 8, his qb was tony romo. He is offered a trade by his father in law for Aaron Hernandez, in return he would be receiving Matt Ryan. I called him out a bit on the trade and his defense was that his father in law was going to drop Ryan anyway and he needed a tight end. From my perspective, it seems like they circumvented the waiver process, but I would like your thoughts on the trade. Was it fair?

This year a buddy contacted me about starting a money league because his future father in law was interested. Anyway the league consists of several of his family members and a few friends we have in common. Prior to week 8, his qb was tony romo. He is offered a trade by his father in law for Aaron Hernandez, in return he would be receiving Matt Ryan. I called him out a bit on the trade and his defense was that his father in law was going to drop Ryan anyway and he needed a tight end. From my perspective, it seems like they circumvented the waiver process, but I would like your thoughts on the trade. Was it fair?

Seems legit to me. Wether or not someone was dropping someone is irrelevant...even if so, he cashed in on someone he was going to drop. I see no problem with this. Before I drop someone who should be rostered I send an email or two out to see if I can get something better than my waiver pick.

Regardless of whether it's fair or not, it's a legit trade. And, you have to ask yourself, was A Hernandez better than anyone he would have gotten off of the waiver heap? If the answer is yes, then he made a good deal.

No there were several tight ends on the waiver wire and he had shockey on his team already.

same thing happened in our local 3 weeks ago, the Matt Ryan owner couldn't hang onto him thru the week 8 bye, and in his case couldn't find a trade partner. It could have gone either way.

You can't predict the future so don't get all excited when Ryan goes off and BB benches Hernandez. When Hernandez had 2 TDs 2 weeks I didn't see you posting about this trade. Is there any particular reason why you waited to tell us about this trade? You need to stop looking at trades as fair or unfair. It's either obvious collusion or it isn't, and when it isn't, you move on.

There were several players on the waiver list that could easily match hernandez. I just found it interesting that as soon as romo went down this guy was right there giving him a top 10 qb for a nobody. He had a tight end on his roster at the time. Also, I can't see anyone dropping Matt Ryan outright without getting anything in return like he said he was going to do. I found it to be a ridiculous trade, but that is fantasy football for you.

same thing happened in our local 3 weeks ago, the Matt Ryan owner couldn't hang onto him thru the week 8 bye, and in his case couldn't find a trade partner. It could have gone either way.

You can't predict the future so don't get all excited when Ryan goes off and BB benches Hernandez. When Hernandez had 2 TDs 2 weeks I didn't see you posting about this trade. Is there any particular reason why you waited to tell us about this trade? You need to stop looking at trades as fair or unfair. It's either obvious collusion or it isn't, and when it isn't, you move on.

There was an argument about it today, so I wanted an outside perspective. I wasnt going to bring it up to him, but he mentioned something about a trade he requested earlier in the season where the owner declined because he felt it would leave this guy's team way too strong. Being he had to play him twice he rejected the trade and this guy thought that was illogical. My response was circumventing the waiver process is no better. Anyway it infuriated this guy.

I will say I dont think I will join a money league that consists of a bunch of family members again.

There were several players on the waiver list that could easily match hernandez.

That is your opinion. Perhaps his opinion was that Hernandez was clearly better than the waiver options, or perhaps he felt that he could better his team more by dealing for hernandez and using his waiver on another position, thus improving two positions instead of one.

You keep saying that like it makes sense.

Waiver process is the bottom of the food chain. If two owners want to make a trade, that's higher up on the order of life.

No reason to act like an ass about it because you don't understand the English language. More simply stated it means, instead of dropping Ryan like he said he was going to do, he traded him to his son in law in return for a player the other guy would have dropped to pick up Ryan had he gone to waivers.

That is your opinion. Perhaps his opinion was that Hernandez was clearly better than the waiver options, or perhaps he felt that he could better his team more by dealing for hernandez and using his waiver on another position, thus improving two positions instead of one.

Fair enough

:wacko:

What if someone is high on a player, why is it relevant what he currently has on his team? I don't see your point at all. I hate when people say this player is better than that player and then 3 weeks later reverse your though process. This is fantasy football, not some law. Any player can get hot and any player can get cold. If you want to control the other 11 teams then be in a league by yourself. As long as there is no collusion do not cry.

No reason to act like an ass about it because you don't understand the English language. More simply stated it means, instead of dropping Ryan like he said he was going to do, he traded him to his son in law in return for a player the other guy would have dropped to pick up Ryan had he gone to waivers.

And in the process got a guy he liked better than the other waiver wire options. He didn't circumvent anything, he got himself an upgrade. That's what trades are all about - getting something better than the waiver wire fodder.

there's no issue with this at all. I've even posted on league boards in the past saying "I'm about to drop player X - let me know if you want to offer anything for him or he'll be hitting waivers" - people respond.

What if someone is high on a player, why is it relevant what he currently has on his team? I don't see your point at all. I hate when people say this player is better than that player and then 3 weeks later reverse your though process. This is fantasy football, not some law. Any player can get hot and any player can get cold. If you want to control the other 11 teams then be in a league by yourself. As long as there is no collusion do not cry.

The way you rolled your eyes when you said, "strongly disagree", just reminded me of a woman.

Carry on....

But that's what happens in a trade. Two guys swap players to address their team needs as opposed to mining the waiver wire. There's nothing fishy about that. Again, a trade, by definition, skirts the waiver wire. Obviously, there are trades that involve players that nobody in their right mind would waive, but trades aren't required to always involve elite players. Sometimes it's a backup QB for a decent TE. That's what a trade is, plain and simple. Now, in your opinion, one of the players may have been no better than others available out there, but that's just your opinion.

The simple fact is, as long as I've been playing FF, borderline starting QBs have always been vastly overrated because they reside in a pool of about 10 QBs that are essentially the same. That pool basically being #10-20. Every year it might move a few spots up or down, but everyone is always trying to shop a guy "because he's a top 10 QB" and that all sounds great until you realize that he's outscoring #16-20, half of whom are on the waiver wire, by less than .5 pts per game.

:wacko:

I am posting this in my leagues message board. some of the owners need to reminded of this.

It seems to me that it's pretty clear the father in law is doing your buddy a favor. I highly doubt he would do that same trade with someone he didn't know.That's collusion as far as I'm concerned.

Keep in mind that this trade was done a few weeks ago.