[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mike Williams (TB)

damageinc

ESPN's Adam Schefter confirms that the Bucs will start rookie WR Mike Williams in Week 11 despite his Friday morning DUI arrest.

Schefter spoke to Bucs sources early Friday, and they don't sound concerned with the arrest. Williams was reportedly pulled over for going 12 MPH over the limit. He volunteered to take the field sobriety test, and was deemed to have failed by police officers. Assuming he wasn't on drugs (and it doesn't sound like he was), it's not difficult to imagine that the cops had it out for him. Williams' blood-alcohol content was significantly under the legal limit. Nov. 19 - 9:27 am et

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter is now citing another Bucs official as saying WR Mike Williams will not play in Week 11 as a result of his Friday morning DUI arrest.

While Williams' blood-alcohol content was under the legal limit, he did fail his field sobriety test, appeared to have glassy eyes, and was forced to take a urine test. All of which suggests the police suspect he was stoned rather than drunk. That could explain the disconnect between Schefter's two sources in the Bucs' front office. If the urine test comes up positive, there's a good chance Williams won't be starting at San Francisco. Nov. 19 - 10:58 am et

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buccaneers WR Mike Williams will start in Week 11 at San Francisco, despite his arrest for DUI earlier this week. “Mike Williams did not participate today but he is going to travel and he is going to play,” said coach Raheem Morris on Friday. “We just gathered the information and came to the decision that I’m going to travel him and play him.”

Mike Williams - WR - Buccaneers

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Mike Williams will start Sunday's game at San Francisco despite his Friday morning DUI arrest.

Either Williams passed his urine test, or the Bucs are coming up with whatever excuse possible to get him in the lineup. They'll need him. Tampa doesn't project to have a ton of success on the ground against the 49ers' top-ten run defense, and San Francisco is vulnerable in the back end. Ranked 15th among fantasy wideouts, Williams can safely be penciled into lineups.

Nov. 19 - 1:23 p.m. ET

Edited by damageinc

Those field sobriety tests are designed to make you fail. They are difficult to do even when sober.

He blew under the limit, so assuming his piss comes back clean, expect there to be no charges.

I support the cops in most instances, but I hate some of the DUI laws, especially random checkpoints. There should be a requirement for probable cause before a cop can make me stop my car, poke his head in, sniff for alcohol and shine his flashlight inside looking for contraband.

+1

I failed one of those field tests in CA about 15 years ago. I was up at 4am EST for a 7am flight. It's now almost 1am , or 4am EST. I had drank two beers with dinner about 5 hours earlier. The test I failed? Make one foot touch yer behind, close your eyes, look straight up in the air and hold it for 5 seconds. I still can't do that. Cop was worse than just a jerk. I'm looking for an exit for Vermont Ave, the Holiday Inn I'm staying at. How was I supposed to know that there no no exit for Vermont Ave going northbound, only southbound? Cop scolded me for having past Vermont Ave a couple miles back. Sure I missed it, there was no freakin exit. He had to know that.

Cop throws cuffs on me and drags me in, all the while acting like a tough guy in front of his green rookie partner. I blow a zero. He has a fit. Says he's taking me to the hospital for a blood test. I tell him, "Look, I told you I was tired, not drunk. You hold me any longer, I WILL press charges of my own." He let me go. I could tell even the rookie cop thought he was an azzz.

I hate to say it, but I have been harrassed for no reason by cops far more often than I've ever been helped. Sounds to me like Williams got stopped by one of these power drunk preck types.

I am a State's Attorney in Chicago, Cook County and I've prosecutred hundreds of DUIs/Reckless Homicides. If Williams blew a .065 at least 1-2 hrs after the arrest, than the prosecutors could "extrapolate" his blood-alcohol level back to the time of the arrest.The result would likely put Williams above the .08 level.

As others have suggested, the fact that police had Williams submit to a urine test most likely means that they suspected Williams was also high. If the urine test comes back positive for Josh Gordon than he will definately be charged with DUI of a combination of alcohol and drugs. The result would be a relatively easy conviction at trial. (In Illinois you don't have to show bad driving etc, just the presence of an illegal drug. This would explain the Bucs change of heart about his playing status for week 11.

I am a State's Attorney in Chicago, Cook County and I've prosecutred hundreds of DUIs/Reckless Homicides. If Williams blew a .065 at least 1-2 hrs after the arrest, than the prosecutors could "extrapolate" his blood-alcohol level back to the time of the arrest.The result would likely put Williams above the .08 level.

As others have suggested, the fact that police had Williams submit to a urine test most likely means that they suspected Williams was also high. If the urine test comes back positive for Josh Gordon than he will definately be charged with DUI of a combination of alcohol and drugs. The result would be a relatively easy conviction at trial. (In Illinois you don't have to show bad driving etc, just the presence of an illegal drug. This would explain the Bucs change of heart about his playing status for week 11.

You're a state's attorney with that horrible spelling and grammar??

Just razzin you, newb.

Anybody else grab Arrelious Benn "just in case"?

Any thoughts on how well he may do if Williams is indeed suspended?

I must have psychic powers because I put in a waiver claim on Benn earlier this week and got him. I think he could have decent value in the fantasy playoffs if Williams can't go for some reason. What I can't remember offhand is whether or not the league typically suspends first offenses like this or not, and I also am not 100% sure that Williams has a clean record in the NFL (or whether or not Goodell takes into consideration any offenses prior to becoming an NFL player). But either way, Benn seems like a decent guy to grab just in case.

Not buying your story. They cannot "extrapolate" anything in a case like this one. Innocent until proven guilty. The burden of proof is on the state. Any defense lawyer could say he had his last drink only minutes before being stopped, so the BA would actually be going up for nearly an hour before dropping, but there is no hard and fast nedical proof regarding how fast alchohol can be absorbed as MANY other variables comer into play, such as foods eaten and stomache disorders and other factors. Even if he said his last drink was 3 hoursd ago, he could say he lied out of fear and was not under oath. Even if he made a statement like that, it is inadmissable unless he had been read his Miranda rights first. This is NOT beyond reasonable doubt:

"The result would likely put Williams above the 0.08 level."

That comment right there makes me doubt you are a lawyer. Williams could say he had 2 shots of scotch 10 minutes before he was arrested. Cops are never in a rush to test, they know the BA will continue to rise if the suspect had just had his last drink. "Suspecting" Williams was high means nada. There has to be proof unless he refused to test. Believe me, I have also looked into this nonsense after my experience in CA.

In order for the DA to extapolate, it is done from a blood test in a hospital and it has to be much longer than 1 or 2 hours as BA level can continue to rise in the first hour and a half. Depends on when the alchohol was consumed. If he blew a 0.065 five hours after arrest then extrapolation can be used as there is medical PROOF that the BA has to be lower than at the time of the incident.

David J. Hanson, Ph.D.:

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/DrivingIs...1127227453.html

After alcohol is absorbed into the bloodstream it leaves the body in two ways. A total of about ten percent leaves through the breath, perspiration, and urine. The remainder is broken down through the process known as metabolism.

The rate at which alcohol is metabolized is the same for virtually everyone regardless of their height, weight, sex, race or other such characteristics.

Alcohol is metabolized at the rate of .015 of blood alcohol concentration (BAC) every hour. 1 Thus a person with a very high BAC of .15 will have no measurable alcohol in the bloodstream after ten hours (.15 divided by .015 = 10). Here are some other examples:

BAC Level Metabolism Time in Hours

.10 6.66

.08 5.33

.05 3.33

.02 1.33

It’s important to remember that BAC can continue to rise for a period of time after the last drink is consumed. For useful information about the biphasic curve and our reactions to alcohol How Alcohol Affects Us: the Biphasic Curve.

For more:

http://www.collinsdefenselaw.com/arrest-and-alcohol-faq.html

Not buying your story. They cannot "extrapolate" anything in a case like this one.

"The result would likely put Williams above the 0.08 level."

That comment right there makes me doubt you are a lawyer. Williams could say he had 2 shots of scotch 10 minutes before he was arrested. Cops are never in a rush to test, they know the BA will continue to rise if the suspect had just had his last drink. "Suspecting" Williams was high means nada. There has to be proof unless he refused to test. Believe me, I have also looked into this nonsense after my experience in CA.

In order for the DA to extapolate, it is done from a blood test in a hospital and it has to be much longer than 1 or 2 hours as BA level can continue to rise in the first hour and a half. Depends on when the alchohol was consumed. If he blew a 0.065 five hours after arrest then extrapolation can be used as there is medical PROOF that the BA has to be lower than at the time of the incident.

I understand you doubt my qualifications as an attorney, but do me a favor and review the attached link. http://www.allbusiness.com/legal/trial-pro...13337774-1.html. If you review the final paragraph you will see my name "Michael L. Gallagher." As the article states, I was the attorney that represented a Cook County Sheriff in a 30 million dollar trial in which the Plaintiff's BAC was hotly contested, so if you think I'm mistaken about the intricacies of "extrapolation", "absorption" and "elimination" of alcohol... you are wrong.

You also misread or did not understand my post. My point was that if the breathalyzer test was taken 1-2 hrs after the arrest, prosecutors could extrapolate his BAC to the time of the arrest.(Yes you can extrapolate a breathalyzer AND blood tests. Please cite something that says differently.) As you point out, there are always individual factors to consider when determining someones BAC but the "average" person absorbs the alcohol into their system within 1 to 1 1/2 hrs after their last drink. At that point, the "average" person begins burning or eliminating alcohol at about .15 of alcohol, or 1 drink and hour.

SO, if Williams submitted to the breathalyzer 2 hrs after the arrest, an "average" person would have absorbed the alcohol in their system within the first hr, and would have been burning alcohol in their system for the second hour. What does that leave us with? .065 at the time of the test, the first hour to absorb the alcohol, and the second hour to burn/eliminate an "average" of .15 of alcohol,, and the result??? .08

But the most important point of my post was that the officers likely took Williams urine because they believed he was ALSO under the influence of Josh Gordon. If the tests come back positive, they will charge him with being under the influence of alcohol (any amount) AND illegal drugs. The statute in Illinois is 11-501(a)(6). By they way, I've cross examined Dr. Hansen three or four times before, and he's kind of a hack.

Edited by White lightning

I understand you doubt my qualifications as an attorney, but do me a favor and review the attached link. http://www.allbusiness.com/legal/trial-pro...13337774-1.html. If you review the final paragraph you will see my name "Michael L. Gallagher." As the article states, I was the attorney that represented a Cook County Sheriff in a 30 million dollar trial in which the Plaintiff's BAC was hotly contested, so if you think I'm mistaken about the intricacies of "extrapolation", "absorption" and "elimination" of alcohol... you are wrong.

You also misread or did not understand my post. My point was that if the breathalyzer test was taken 1-2 hrs after the arrest, prosecutors could extrapolate his BAC to the time of the arrest.(Yes you can extrapolate a breathalyzer AND blood tests. Please cite something that says differently.) As you point out, there are always individual factors to consider when determining someones BAC but the "average" person absorbs the alcohol into their system within 1 to 1 1/2 hrs after their last drink. At that point, the "average" person begins burning or eliminating alcohol at about .15 of alcohol, or 1 drink and hour.

SO, if Williams submitted to the breathalyzer 2 hrs after the arrest, an "average" person would have absorbed the alcohol in their system within the first hr, and would have been burning alcohol in their system for the second hour. What does that leave us with? .065 at the time of the test, the first hour to absorb the alcohol, and the second hour to burn/eliminate an "average" of .15 of alcohol,, and the result??? .08

But the most important point of my post was that the officers likely took Williams urine because they believed he was ALSO under the influence of Josh Gordon. If the tests come back positive, they will charge him with being under the influence of alcohol (any amount) AND illegal drugs. The statute in Illinois is 11-501(a)(6). By they way, I've cross examined Dr. Hansen three or four times before, and he's kind of a hack.

Like I said, any good defense lawyer could argue that Williams took two shots of scotch just before he left his location and was arrested 10 minutes later. That would mean that his BAC would still be going up, not down after his arrest. Then there is the question of when the brethalyzer machine was last calibrated AND the fact that it came up with two readings, 0.061 and 0.065. Even if the court or a jury bought into your "worst case highest elimination of alchohol" scenario, what about the 0.04 difference in the readings? WAY too many variables there for a conviction, and the kinds of cases you are talking about are ones that involved accidents with injury or death. Even a horrible defense lawyer could beat this DWI accusation.

And I did not miss your point. Azzhole cops run amock in this country. I was arrested because some jerkwad thought I was drunk and I was sober as a judge. Did you read my post? You missed MY most important point.

You also misread or did not understand my post. My point was that if the breathalyzer test was taken 1-2 hrs after the arrest, prosecutors could extrapolate his BAC to the time of the arrest.(Yes you can extrapolate a breathalyzer AND blood tests. Please cite something that says differently.)

So you are speculating that Williams was arrested and then given a breathalyzer 2 hrs later as a basis for your assumptions? Where did you see that?