[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Commissioner adjusted lineup after game started

DaBears2011

I plan on directing our league commissioner to this post, so I appreciate unbiased constructive advice. I think this is a very easy decision, but I want to throw this out to the fantasy world to validate my position.

League - 12 team head-to-head competitive work league with $125 buy-in

My opponent started Reggie Bush in his flex spot yesterday (11/25). He sent an email to the league commissioner 38 minutes AFTER kickoff asking him to take Reggie Bush out of his lineup and instead insert Donald Brown. I have sent a protest letter to the commish, giving him the facts and asking him to put Bush back in his lineup instead of Donald Brown. I went on to further tell him that the only time it is acceptable to adjust a lineup AFTER the game had started is if he gets the email/phone call BEFORE kickoff. This wasn't even close to kickoff, so I don't know what the commish was thinking.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Can I get some advice to pass along to my leagues commissioner please?

There shouldn't even be a discussion ,, the game started and players should be locked,

End of story

Exactly. Assuming you're referring to after kick-off of the Saints game or assuming your league doesn't allow you to start or sit players prior to kick-off of the games they're playing in rather than the 1st one of the week, then this is an absolute no-brainer.

In fact, I would be annoyed as hell that it had even gotten this far. There are enough judgment decisions that a commish has to make from time to time. There's simply no reason for him to blatantly ignore the most obvious of rules.

Exactly. Assuming you're referring to after kick-off of the Saints game or assuming your league doesn't allow you to start or sit players prior to kick-off of the games they're playing in rather than the 1st one of the week, then this is an absolute no-brainer.

In fact, I would be annoyed as hell that it had even gotten this far. There are enough judgment decisions that a commish has to make from time to time. There's simply no reason for him to blatantly ignore the most obvious of rules.

Yes, the commissioner adjusted his lineup today, based on an email that was sent after the Saints Cowboys kickoff. We are allowed to adjust our lineups up until the kickoff of the game your player is playing in.

Can I get some more feedback on this please?

Put simply your commish is wrong. Is this his/her first year running a league? Once a game starts its locked...not matter the circumstances. I've been a commish for years and heard every "the dog ate my line up excuse" imagineable. A commish can never exceptions!

Assuming your league is "standard", the best advice you can give your commish is READ AND FOLLOW YOUR LEAGUE RULES TO THE LETTER. If they refuse to follow, or don't understand, your rules then they should step down as commish.

I can maybe see if it was like 5 mins after kickoff and the guy sent out an email stating he couldn't get into the site to change his lineup and he then notified the league. But 38 mins is way past an allowable time to make a change. Did the guy have any kind of excuse that he thought 38 mins late would be acceptable?

Yes, the commissioner adjusted his lineup today, based on an email that was sent after the Saints Cowboys kickoff. We are allowed to adjust our lineups up until the kickoff of the game your player is playing in.

Can I get some more feedback on this please?

In all seriousness, why should you even need any? There is simply no room for interpretation here. Let's say that dude was about to call, and then got in a car wreck that prevented him from doing so. OK, well it really sucks that he got in a car wreck, so I'm sure the fact that he's got Reggie Bush rather than Donald Brown going is the least of his worries, right? Maybe his wife went into labor and he had to rush her to the hospital and couldn't call. I'm guessing the birth of his child is a fine consolation for the fact that he has Reggie Bush rather than Donald Brown in his line-up.

See where I'm headed here? It's very simple. Contact the commish prior to the game or you're stuck with your line-up. The good news is that, in the big picture, it's effing Fantasy Football. A game. So the fact that you wished you had a different dude in your flex spot than you do just doesn't matter that much.

Edited by detlef

Never, ever is there anything right about doing this. We have a strict rule that the commish CAN adjust the lineups after games have started, but this is only, ONLY if there's an note posted to our league site that time stamps the e-mail prior to the start of the game. Of course, it's fine to adjust the lineups afterward if the commish wasn't available to make the move prior to the start of the game, but in your case it's just bogus.

Yo Commish, if your reading this, and I hope you are, then you at LEAST have some concern about your decision. Its a $125 buy in for crying out loud. Stop with the nonsense and reverse and obvious bad decision on your part. I'd be demanding my money back if you let it stand.

Agreed: this move is flat-out wrong. Unless the guy was under anesthesia and incapable of phsical activity, there should be no reason why this would even be considered (even then, an anesthetized owner ought to have taken care of FF business first). We have all farked up on fantasy lineups in one way or another, and it is the price we pay for forgetfulness.

Edited by historymike

Reach out to the rest of your league mates... I'm sure they would feel the same way. It isn't fair for the commissioner to process this line-up change. If the commish doesn't see this with his/her own eyes, then maybe a league full of disgruntled owners would change his mind.

Also, the fact that this is a pay league makes this act even more egregious. You should consider bailing on this league after this season.

Reach out to the rest of your league mates... I'm sure they would feel the same way. It isn't fair for the commissioner to process this line-up change. If the commish doesn't see this with his/her own eyes, then maybe a league full of disgruntled owners would change his mind.

Also, the fact that this is a pay league makes this act even more egregious. You should consider bailing on this league after this season.

+1: when there is bigger money involved, this becomes much more than an issue of fair play. Imagine if this move ended up in affecting a league championship, with thousands of dollars at stake.

Comissioner of a couple of leagues including a work league similar to your's. As already noted this is a no-brainer and should have been spelled out clearly in your league by-laws. We specifically note that each owner is responsible for setting their line up every week, that equipment failure or acts of God are not excepable excuses. That said, I'm willing to adjust your line up should you run into a problem. The only stipulation is that this request must be communicated to me prior to the start of the game and that I'm in no way obligated to make this change - that would be considered a favor [i'm not hanging around my phone or PC at all hours so I can help you]. Should a change be made I would note that on our homepage so there would be no misunderstanding of my actions. Anything short of this leaves the owner and commish open to allegations of cheating.

tell your commish that if he doesn't do the right thing that you'll post his identity so we can avoid playing with the guy. Lots of questionable commishes out there, which is why I would only play in such a league that uses leaguesafe.com

Lol... I had no idea that something like this existed. I assume since you're advertising it, it's succesful? I'm the commish in a pay league and would consider this option...

I plan on directing our league commissioner to this post, so I appreciate unbiased constructive advice. I think this is a very easy decision, but I want to throw this out to the fantasy world to validate my position.

League - 12 team head-to-head competitive work league with $125 buy-in

My opponent started Reggie Bush in his flex spot yesterday (11/25). He sent an email to the league commissioner 38 minutes AFTER kickoff asking him to take Reggie Bush out of his lineup and instead insert Donald Brown. I have sent a protest letter to the commish, giving him the facts and asking him to put Bush back in his lineup instead of Donald Brown. I went on to further tell him that the only time it is acceptable to adjust a lineup AFTER the game had started is if he gets the email/phone call BEFORE kickoff. This wasn't even close to kickoff, so I don't know what the commish was thinking.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Can I get some advice to pass along to my leagues commissioner please?

Iam commish in my league that would not be allowed game has started end of story

This is a no-brainer. So...any resolution yet?

Yes, thanks, the commish moved Bush back into his lineup. I appreciate all the comments. The issue looks resolved. I was confident it would be resolved, but you never know what you will have to go through to make sure the right thing is done.