[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Crazy, improbable

muck

TCU wins this weekend.

Boise State loses to Nevada.

Auburn loses to Alabama.

Oregon loses to Arizona.

...obviously, TCU goes to #1 in the polls...

...but who is #2?

Oregon (10-1, loss to Arizona) -- #1 in computers currently

Auburn (10-1, loss to Alabama) -- #2 in computers currently

LSU (10-1, loss to Auburn) -- #4 in computers currently

Boise State (10-1, loss to Nevada) -- #5 in computers currently

Stanford (10-1, loss to Oregon) -- #6 in computers currently

Oklahoma State (10-1, loss to Nebraska) -- #7 in computers currently

Wisconsin (10-1, loss to Michigan State) -- #8 in computers currently

Ohio State (10-1, loss to Wisconsin) -- #9 in computers currently

Michigan State (10-1, loss to Iowa) -- #12 in computers currently

Edited by muck

TCU wins this weekend.

Boise State loses to Nevada.

Auburn loses to Alabama.

Oregon loses to Arizona.

...obviously, TCU goes to #1 in the polls...

...but who is #2?

Oregon (10-1, loss to Arizona) -- #1 in computers currently

Auburn (10-1, loss to Alabama) -- #2 in computers currently

LSU (10-1, loss to Auburn) -- #4 in computers currently

Boise State (10-1, loss to Nevada) -- #5 in computers currently

Stanford (10-1, loss to Oregon) -- #6 in computers currently

Oklahoma State (10-1, loss to Nebraska) -- #7 in computers currently

Wisconsin (10-1, loss to Michigan State) -- #8 in computers currently

Ohio State (10-1, loss to Wisconsin) -- #9 in computers currently

Michigan State (10-1, loss to Iowa) -- #12 in computers currently

Well, as lame as it is that, even if Auburn comes back and makes a game of it, they move some way back because their loss is late in the season. Same story with OU.

Needless to say, BSU plummets

So it would seem the answer is LSU. They'll have another win vs a top 15 team, their SOS with regards to Bama and Auburn will a net zero situation as one will go up and the other down. That should be enough to keep them ahead of Stanford, Wisc, and OSU. Okie St and MSU just seem way too far back to make the jump. Though Okie St will have another chance after this week, possibly.

This, of course, is sort of stupid considering they'll have the exact same record as a team that beat them head to head but is now ranked behind them. The question is whether they'd be able to stay ahead of Auburn if Auburn comes back and wins the SEC title game. Or for that matter ahead of Okie St should they compile two top 15 victories between OU and whomever they play in the Big 12 title game.

So it would seem the answer is LSU. They'll have another win vs a top 15 team, their SOS with regards to Bama and Auburn will a net zero situation as one will go up and the other down. That should be enough to keep them ahead of Stanford, Wisc, and OSU. Okie St and MSU just seem way too far back to make the jump. Though Okie St will have another chance after this week, possibly.

This, of course, is sort of stupid considering they'll have the exact same record as a team that beat them head to head but is now ranked behind them. The question is whether they'd be able to stay ahead of Auburn if Auburn comes back and wins the SEC title game. Or for that matter ahead of Okie St should they compile two top 15 victories between OU and whomever they play in the Big 12 title game.

I know you hate for me to bring up dem Superbowl Champs NY Giants, but didn't the Giants lose the very last game of the season to the Patriots?

Dec 29 - New England - L (35-38)

I know you hate for me to bring up dem Superbowl Champs NY Giants, but didn't the Giants lose the very last game of the season to the Patriots?

Dec 29 - New England - L (35-38)

That is an absolute non-argument. The Giants were not ranked ahead of the Pats after they lost to them. The NFL doesn't run a beauty pageant where teams are "ranked". The Giants then earned the title of SB Champs when they played the Pats again in the SB and beat them.

If there's any comparison to college ball it would be an SEC West team losing to an SEC East team in the regular season, then facing that team again in the SEC Championship, and beating them there. Would you question which of those teams was the SEC Champ?

That is an absolute non-argument. The Giants were not ranked ahead of the Pats after they lost to them. The NFL doesn't run a beauty pageant where teams are "ranked". The Giants then earned the title of SB Champs when they played the Pats again in the SB and beat them.

If there's any comparison to college ball it would be an SEC West team losing to an SEC East team in the regular season, then facing that team again in the SEC Championship, and beating them there. Would you question which of those teams was the SEC Champ?

Good point. If South Carolina beats Auburn, are they not SEC Champions? Auburn is ranked ahead of them now. More importantly they will still be ranked ahead of them then regardless of the Loss.

I'm not going to spend time digging right now because I have to go, but I guarantee I can come up with a scenerio where a NFL team who beat a team was ranked lower than the team they just beat and thus had a much easier road in the playoffs.

If there were a playoff I would certainly question the team who won the SEC Championship game. In fact the way it works in the SEC in basketball and baseball you have a SEC CHamp and a SEC Tournament Champ and I respect the regualar season champ much more and my guess is that team typically performs better in the national tournaments.

If there were a playoff, it might be nice if in each conference, every team played every other team and that was how the conference champion was determined. This would likely best determine the conference champion. No one would care about the relative strengths of respective conferences as each conference champion would have the opportunity to advance to the playoffs.

I'm not going to spend time digging right now because I have to go, but I guarantee I can come up with a scenerio where a NFL team who beat a team was ranked lower than the team they just beat and thus had a much easier road in the playoffs.

If there were a playoff I would certainly question the team who won the SEC Championship game. In fact the way it works in the SEC in basketball and baseball you have a SEC CHamp and a SEC Tournament Champ and I respect the regualar season champ much more and my guess is that team typically performs better in the national tournaments.

But in most cases like in basketball, the conference tournament is meaningless. If you're the regular season champ, chances are you don't need to do anymore windowdressing anyway to make it to the big dance. If you're really good and get a #1 seed regardless, then there is no difference between a #1 seed at large over a #1 seed automatic. It's just another showcase for teams on the bubble, or seeding purposes. In College football, there are fewer teams, and fewer BCS Bowls. It's exclusive. And because it's exclusive there should be some sort of minimum requirements (like being a conference champion) to get into the those bowls, and/or MNC.

Dude, there are no "rankings" in the NFL, there are standings. And there's a huge freaking difference. There are no style points in the NFL, no voters.

OK, so now, all of a sudden we're discussing about how you'd feel if there was a play-off? Or compare this to Basketball where there are no conference divisions and they have a huge post-season tourney? Let's add that to your list of non-points. Answer the question. If SC beats Auburn next week, who is the SEC Champ?

Edited by detlef

But in most cases like in basketball, the conference tournament is meaningless. If you're the regular season champ, chances are you don't need to do anymore windowdressing anyway to make it to the big dance. If you're really good and get a #1 seed regardless, then there is no difference between a #1 seed at large over a #1 seed automatic. It's just another showcase for teams on the bubble, or seeding purposes. In College football, there are fewer teams, and fewer BCS Bowls. It's exclusive. And because it's exclusive there should be some sort of minimum requirements (like being a conference champion) to get into the those bowls, and/or MNC.

How many teams were involved in the 1st post season in basketball? NOw how many do they have?

Dude, there are no "rankings" in the NFL, there are standings. And there's a huge freaking difference. There are no style points in the NFL, no voters.

OK, so now, all of a sudden we're discussing about how you'd feel if there was a play-off? Or compare this to Basketball where there are no conference divisions and they have a huge post-season tourney? Let's add that to your list of non-points. Answer the question. If SC beats Auburn next week, who is the SEC Champ?

Of course there are rankings in the NFL. Here's a link and all I did was google NFL rankings http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

What do you meaqn by no conference divisions? You really are making no sense. Here is another link http://bleacherreport.com/articles/515642-...of-the-sec-east

Not exactly sure why you ask about who is SEC champ? Of course it's the winner of the SEC Championship game. What's your point?

Of course there are rankings in the NFL. Here's a link and all I did was google NFL rankings http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

What do you meaqn by no conference divisions? You really are making no sense. Here is another link http://bleacherreport.com/articles/515642-...of-the-sec-east

Not exactly sure why you ask about who is SEC champ? Of course it's the winner of the SEC Championship game. What's your point?

I meant rankings that have any implication on who wins the Championship. Who gives a crap who ESPN had #1 in their Power Rankings. The league delivers us a SB Champ plus two conference champs and that's all anyone cares about. In fact, if you're #1 in the power rankings at the end of the year but don't manage to be one of the Champions, you're a choke job.

My point with the SEC Champ bit is that you make a big deal about how the Pats beat the Giants in the regular season and also that the "wrong" team was crowned champion of the NFL that year because of a play-off system. It would be the same deal if SC wins next week. The "right" team is Auburn, plus, they beat them once already (I think). But if SC wins next week, they're the champ.