[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Coaches Hired and Fired

Rockerbraves

That puts any coach with a .500 record or worse on the hot seat. Dang, even winning coaches should be nervous.

It comes down to expectations. In 2002 before their game against Ohio State, Miami was being debated on ESPN on whether or not they could beat the 2002 Cincinnati Bengals. In 2010, their coach is being canned for having mediocre seasons.

It comes down to expectations. In 2002 before their game against Ohio State, Miami was being debated on ESPN on whether or not they could beat the 2002 Cincinnati Bengals. In 2010, their coach is being canned for having mediocre seasons.

He's actually had very solid recruiting classes. Guess he just didn't do well enough with the talent.

He's actually had very solid recruiting classes. Guess he just didn't do well enough with the talent.

40 thousand empty seats or so at Joe Robbie (or whatever they are calling that stadium) might have something to do with that too. A lot of it is embracing tradition, embracing the alumni and doing those other things with the fans too. I don't know if that's something he did or not. Maybe some Miami fans can help us out. But I can tell you that Kirk Ferentz does all of that stuff at Iowa, and Todd Lickliter didn't for the Basketball program. And so when you find yourself in a situation where your team isn't successful, or in Lickliter's case downright putrid, fans and alumni are far less forgiving. Again, huge difference in expectations between Iowa and "The U". I don't like Miami, but there is no deyning how great they were in the past.

edit to add: In other words you don't want to bite the hand that feeds you (not that you want to give into their every wish and command either). Again I don't know if that was the case or not. Just speculating, because it is rather odd.

Edited by GWPFFL BrianW

It's already started.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/11/28/1946...is-unknown.html

Anyone else a little surprised that Coach Shannon was fired at Miami Hurricanes so soon? I had my money on Michigan and Rich Rodriquez.

Don't write off RR getting launched just yet. According to this article, if Michigan gets rid of him after Jan. 1 2011, his buyout drops from $4 million to $2.5 million. :wacko:

http://www.freep.com/article/20101127/COL2...-s-fate-quickly

Edited by Wolverines Fan

40 thousand empty seats or so at Joe Robbie (or whatever they are calling that stadium) might have something to do with that too. A lot of it is embracing tradition, embracing the alumni and doing those other things with the fans too. I don't know if that's something he did or not. Maybe some Miami fans can help us out. But I can tell you that Kirk Ferentz does all of that stuff at Iowa, and Todd Lickliter didn't for the Basketball program. And so when you find yourself in a situation where your team isn't successful, or in Lickliter's case downright putrid, fans and alumni are far less forgiving. Again, huge difference in expectations between Iowa and "The U". I don't like Miami, but there is no deyning how great they were in the past.

edit to add: In other words you don't want to bite the hand that feeds you (not that you want to give into their every wish and command either). Again I don't know if that was the case or not. Just speculating, because it is rather odd.

There was an article in the paper around here that illustrates that Miami needs to do more than simply find a new coach. They've been neglecting the program entirely for 10 years. And considering that they're uniquely small for being such a top program, that's likely something they just can't do. I mean, essentially every other traditional power program comes from a massive school. This isn't Basketball where you basically need 7-10 kids to have a good team, so a tiny private school like Duke can recruit and compete every year.

Miami was nothing until they decided to be something and happened to have some great coaches along the way. But they'll fade right back into obscurity as long as Florida remains elite, FSU stays at least good, and schools like So Florida and UCF become legit programs. Sure, there's a ton of talent in FL but the in-state programs are slicing that pie pretty thin and it's not like everyone and their brother from out of state aren't down there poaching it as well. Especially if Miami does nothing about it's stadium or on-campus facilities. The next crop of recruits were 10 years old in 2002 and all they see is a crappy old stadium, a small campus, and a sub-par weight room. Meanwhile, I've got to think that UCF and S Florida have pimped their respective rides out nicely. Sure, their dads know who Miami is/was, but every little bit hurts.

There was an article in the paper around here that illustrates that Miami needs to do more than simply find a new coach. They've been neglecting the program entirely for 10 years. And considering that they're uniquely small for being such a top program, that's likely something they just can't do. I mean, essentially every other traditional power program comes from a massive school. This isn't Basketball where you basically need 7-10 kids to have a good team, so a tiny private school like Duke can recruit and compete every year.

Miami was nothing until they decided to be something and happened to have some great coaches along the way. But they'll fade right back into obscurity as long as Florida remains elite, FSU stays at least good, and schools like So Florida and UCF become legit programs. Sure, there's a ton of talent in FL but the in-state programs are slicing that pie pretty thin and it's not like everyone and their brother from out of state aren't down there poaching it as well. Especially if Miami does nothing about it's stadium or on-campus facilities. The next crop of recruits were 10 years old in 2002 and all they see is a crappy old stadium, a small campus, and a sub-par weight room. Meanwhile, I've got to think that UCF and S Florida have pimped their respective rides out nicely. Sure, their dads know who Miami is/was, but every little bit hurts.

There is some truth to what you said, but people were saying similar things in the late 90's about Miami as well. They came roaring back with a tremendous 4 year run 2000-2003, going to 4 straight BCS bowls, and fielding one of the greatest teams of all time in 2001 (with 2002 eclipsing the 2001 team until they lost to Ohio State). At the end of the day, it's still Miami. College Football is cyclical. They'll be back. The question is why was Shannon fired? And THAT is why. If the program is being neglected, then while that isn't ALL on the coach, it absolutely starts with the coach.

There is some truth to what you said, but people were saying similar things in the late 90's about Miami as well. They came roaring back with a tremendous 4 year run 2000-2003, going to 4 straight BCS bowls, and fielding one of the greatest teams of all time in 2001 (with 2002 eclipsing the 2001 team until they lost to Ohio State). At the end of the day, it's still Miami. College Football is cyclical. They'll be back. The question is why was Shannon fired? And THAT is why. If the program is being neglected, then while that isn't ALL on the coach, it absolutely starts with the coach.

But 10 years ago, USF and UCF weren't anything and all these old facilities were 10 years newer. Miami can come back, but they can't just count "being Miami" as enough. Michigan will be back, it's inevitable. They'd have to royally screw up not to get back. Miami doesn't have the built in reasons. They can't hire their 3rd no-name assistant in a row and expect to do so. And they can't ignore the facilities and expect to do so.

But 10 years ago, USF and UCF weren't anything and all these old facilities were 10 years newer. Miami can come back, but they can't just count "being Miami" as enough. Michigan will be back, it's inevitable. They'd have to royally screw up not to get back. Miami doesn't have the built in reasons. They can't hire their 3rd no-name assistant in a row and expect to do so. And they can't ignore the facilities and expect to do so.

UCF and USF still aren't anything. They are the least of Miami's problems. Miami has still recruited well. And what you're saying is illustrating my overall point. If you're biting the hand that feeds you, then the facilities will continue to be a problem. How do those things get built? Alumni. And that means rubbing elbows with the local clubs, and the good old boys. Don't know one way or another if Shannon was doing that or Coker before him. But if it is as dire as that article suggests, then my guess is that they probably weren't. Rich Rod came in at Michigan, and alienated the support right away. You're right, Michigan will be back, but the next coach better not take the same approach.

If I'm Miami, I don't respect those 2 schools at all. When you're talking about facilities, and general disenchantment with your fans and alumni, fix those problems, and USF and UCF are an afterthought. Fix those things, and your team will be back, regardless of what the JV florida schools do.

Dude, USF started in 1997 and is now in a BCS conference. Albeit, the worst one, but they're certainly more likely to peel off recruits from Miami now than they were then.

UCF had just jumped to D-1AA 10 years ago. Again, same thing. They're far more likely to peel off recruits.

Now, if this was basketball, that wouldn't matter. But a college football program needs an army of 2 and 3 star guys just like it needs the hand full of 4 and 5 star guys. Miami may not lose the 4 and 5 star guys to these schools, but you know damned well they're losing the 2 and 3 star ones. Would you rather ride the pine at Miami or start at USF. Ten years ago, you'd likely rather play at Miami. Maybe not so much now. But we all know you need depth and you need guys to run down on punts and kick-offs and that's where those 2nd tier guys Miami used to get make their program a bit weaker.

I'm not saying this is the main reason. Just saying it certainly doesn't help.

Edited by detlef

You know what's sad & telling is that the Miami athletic office had to run a ticket special when the Hurricanes took on Virginia Tech last week. From what I recall the ticket special was if you bought a ticket for the Virginia Tech game and IF Miami won you received a free ticket to the South Florida game. Not sure but if the Hurricanes would have beaten the Hokies wouldn't that last game vs South Florida been a huge game with ACC championship significants?

Urban Meyer to step down as #Gators head coach this evening at 5pm EST per athletic department.

http://twitter.com/GatorUpdates/status/12571549718548480

Yes, Gator Nation, it happened again.

Florida’s Urban Meyer has stepped down from his position of head coach for the second year in a row. Only this time, it looks permanent.

The Urban Meyer era is over at Florida.

The 46-year-old leader of the Gators football team informed athletic director Jeremy Foley over the weekend that he was thinking about resigning, and the two ultimately finalized the plan Tuesday. Meyer told the team of his decision during a meeting earlier this afternoon, and Florida has scheduled a press conference for 6 p.m. at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium where Meyer and Foley will address the media.

Meyer will remain Florida’s head coach through the Outback Bowl in Tampa on New Year’s Day.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Report...om-Florida.html

Urban Meyer to step down as #Gators head coach this evening at 5pm EST per athletic department.

http://twitter.com/GatorUpdates/status/12571549718548480

Yes, Gator Nation, it happened again.

Florida’s Urban Meyer has stepped down from his position of head coach for the second year in a row. Only this time, it looks permanent.

The Urban Meyer era is over at Florida.

The 46-year-old leader of the Gators football team informed athletic director Jeremy Foley over the weekend that he was thinking about resigning, and the two ultimately finalized the plan Tuesday. Meyer told the team of his decision during a meeting earlier this afternoon, and Florida has scheduled a press conference for 6 p.m. at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium where Meyer and Foley will address the media.

Meyer will remain Florida’s head coach through the Outback Bowl in Tampa on New Year’s Day.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Report...om-Florida.html

Everyone on the radio around these parts are wondering if he's getting out ahead of some investigation that's about to come down. I think he's just realized he was right the first time.

Everyone on the radio around these parts are wondering if he's getting out ahead of some investigation that's about to come down. I think he's just realized he was right the first time.

I'm relatively attuned to Florida sports and I know of no impending investigation. That doesn't mean there isn't one but I've heard nothing. I think he's just burnt out.

I'm relatively attuned to Florida sports and I know of no impending investigation. That doesn't mean there isn't one but I've heard nothing. I think he's just burnt out.

I'm inclined to believe the same. Especially considering that he tried to step away last year. His bit about not seeing any of his kids play ball seems pretty sincere.

My guess is that, in a couple of years, when they're out of school, he comes back.

He has alwas been a different kind of guy. He has always seemed more decent than the typicacl coach. I think he woke up and saw he had 10+ mill in his checking account and life was passing him by.

He has alwas been a different kind of guy. He has always seemed more decent than the typicacl coach. I think he woke up and saw he had 10+ mill in his checking account and life was passing him by.

I think there is a reason he is called Crier Meyer. He simply can't handle losing. He probably should just tell the truth and tell everyone "I'm taking my ball and bat and going home" .

I think there is a reason he is called Crier Meyer. He simply can't handle losing. He probably should just tell the truth and tell everyone "I'm taking my ball and bat and going home" .

I think there's a reason as well. But that reason is that Michigan fans couldn't handle the truth that they didn't deserve to play for the NC game and needed someone to lash out at.