[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The problem with having a toilet bowl and/or weekly prizes ...

Grits and Shins

In my local we want all teams to be invested/interested in playing all weeks. To that end we award money prizes each week for high performances. We also award money to the toilet bowl winner (very small amount).

So we don't have a trade deadline and rosters are never frozen (unless you are entirely out of the playoffs or toilet bowl).

This trade is awaiting my approval:

Team A is struggling to make the playoffs and is desperate for WRs, Team B is out of the playoffs.

Team A gives Forte + Mike Williams (SEA)

Team B gives Greg Jennings

[ETA]

Standard PPR 12 team league

Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 DF, 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE)

Team A

Peyton Manning / Kevin Kolb

Chris Johnson / Matt Forte / LaDanian Tomlinson

Marques Colston / Mike Williams (SEA) / Lee Evans / Donald Driver / Brandon Gibson

Tony Gonzalez / Brandon Pettigrew / Greg Olsen

Garrett Harley

NOS / SFO

Team B

Ben Roethlisberger / Joe Flacco

MJD / Keiland Williams

Greg Jennings / Braylon Edwards / Robert Meacham / Deion Butler / Jacoby Ford / Early Doucet / Vincent Jackson

Kevin Boss / John Carlson

Adam Vinatieri

SDC / MIN

Greg Jennings does not show up on the Huddle Game Day Injury Recap for week 12

Mike Williams (SEA) missed game 12 with a foot injury and his status is unknown

Edited by Grits and Shins

Trade doesn't look bad & you should have a week where trades & waivers are over. We have a trade deadline of week 10 & free agents week 13.

Definitely agree that a trade deadline is necessary in all formats - not so sure about a free agent deadline though. In my main league, we have one after week 13 (i.e., have to set your rosters for the playoffs in weeks 14-16), but I have been pushing, unsuccesfully so far, to get rid of the free agent deadline entirely. It's a large league with large rosters, so there's not much available out there typically anyway, but I feel like owners should be able to respond to injuuries that might pop up in the playoff weeks.

Definitely agree that a trade deadline is necessary in all formats - not so sure about a free agent deadline though. In my main league, we have one after week 13 (i.e., have to set your rosters for the playoffs in weeks 14-16), but I have been pushing, unsuccesfully so far, to get rid of the free agent deadline entirely. It's a large league with large rosters, so there's not much available out there typically anyway, but I feel like owners should be able to respond to injuuries that might pop up in the playoff weeks.

We shut down all transactions before week 13, but if you have a guy that is placed on IR after the deadline, you are allowed to pick up a free agent to replace him. Works pretty well.

In my local we want all teams to be invested/interested in playing all weeks. To that end we award money prizes each week for high performances. We also award money to the toilet bowl winner (very small amount).

So we don't have a trade deadline and rosters are never frozen (unless you are entirely out of the playoffs or toilet bowl).

This trade is awaiting my approval:

Team A is struggling to make the playoffs and is desperate for WRs, Team B is out of the playoffs.

Team A gives Forte + Mike Williams (SEA)

Team B gives Greg Jennings

I see this as a fair trade with Team A getting slightly the better end

Standard PPR 12 team league

Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 DF, 1 Flex (RB/WR/TE)

Team A

Peyton Manning / Kevin Kolb

Chris Johnson / Matt Forte / LaDanian Tomlinson

Marques Colston / Mike Williams (SEA) / Lee Evans / Donald Driver / Brandon Gibson

Tony Gonzalez / Brandon Pettigrew / Greg Olsen

Garrett Harley

NOS / SFO

Team B

Ben Roethlisberger / Joe Flacco

MJD / Keiland Williams

Greg Jennings / Braylon Edwards / Robert Meacham / Deion Butler / Jacoby Ford / Early Doucet / Vincent Jackson

Kevin Boss / John Carlson

Adam Vinatieri

SDC / MIN

Edited by Grits and Shins

I don't think that the Toilet Bowl or the weekly prizes are the issue here. I've had to deal with the opposite problem of people giving up on their teams, and can definitely say it's far worse for non-participation to effect the playoff race than people staying competitive.

Seems the issue is definitely the lack of trade deadline... Even though those contests should help to prevent collusion, they don't help prevent bias in the final weeks... Even the most objective of commissioners might have a tough time being objective in the final 3-4 weeks, when everything is on the line...

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the trade, since both of you are seeking to improve your teams for your respective contests, but the lack of deadline definitely opens up the issue of bias even more from the people you're competing with... Not saying it's fair, but a sad fact-of-life in these cut-throat last weeks before the playoffs.

Team B may be out of the playoffs, but if he thinks the deal can help him win high points and a few dollars in the remaining scoring periods, then more power to him. I'm in a similar position in one league, and I'm going all out to try and recoup some of my entrance fee. We do have a trade deadline, but I'm hitting the waiver wire hard.

If team B has an early waiver spot, it wouldn't surprise me to see him grab Westbrook and start shopping for a TE.