[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looking for homers

detlef

Seahawks

1.23--Marcus Tubbs--3.0 Decent talent, and played very well when healthy, but never really was, and ultimately his career ended a few short years later. Wasted pick.

1.26--Chris Spencer--3.0 Never has become anything more than average at best. Wasted pick.

1.31--Kelly Jennings--3.5 After a very promising rookie campaign, has been burnt like toast ever since. He is just too small and fragile to play in the NFL. Wasted pick.

No pick (Deion Branch).-- 0.0 Worst draft pick in the history of sports. Wasted pick.

1.28--Lawrence Jackson--3.5 Never really showed anything. He had 4 sacks through 4 games last year, and then got one sack in the last 12, or something like that. Recently traded for a football and kicking tee. Wasted pick.

1.4--Aaron Curry--1.0 You don't take an OLB that can't rush the passer at 1.4, period. The guy has looked absolutely lost since the moment he showed up. He is easily the worst player on the entire defense, and makes OLB a position of need again, two years after spending the 4th overall pick on an OLB. Want some entertainment? Watch a Seahawks game and focus on him during every defensive snap. Wasted pick.

1.6 Russell Okung--?? Too early to judge. Looks GREAT when on the field, but can't get out there nearly enough. Potential star, potential bust. Have to wait and see.

1.14--Earl Thomas--9.5 Absolutely all over the field, although it gets him in trouble sometimes. Likely rookie of the year winner. Has been a godsend to a team that is desperate for defensive playmakers. It may ultimately be at corner, but this kid is gonna be a dandy.

Wow, in seven years I gave out one grade higher than a 3.5. Thanks Ruskell!! Now I see why Holmgren wasn't so fond of the cat.

Edited by Seahawks21

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this will be a little different from the other Jets evals:

JETS

pick 1.12 - Jonathan Vilma LB: 7 (however he played poorly when miscast in the 3-4 defense; he is strictly a 4-3 LB, the 7 rating is for 4-3 only) ageed

No draft pick

pick 1.04 - D'Brickashaw Ferguson LT: 9 One of the best LTs in the game today outstanding pass protection and has become a decent run blocker. I would have given him an 8 based on his draft position, but then read your post that it doesn't matter whether its top or bottom of round 1. Brick is surely a 9. Disagree. Brick has been good but not 9.0 good. I'd say 8.0.

pick 1.29 - Nick Mangold C: 10 Team leader. Outstanding run blocker and pass protection. In the top 3 for centers in the league

Mangold is the best center in the NFL IMO. Still, it's a 9.0.

pick 1.14 Darrelle Revis CB: 10 Jets traded up to get him just before the Steelers were going to grab this Pittsburgh native. One of the best Jets draft moves in team history. (Jets also traded up to steal LB David Harris in round 2. Great draft)

10 is pefection. Revis is awsome, but 9.5, lower that to 8.5 if you want to include his hold out and consequent hamstring injury. That cost the Jets a W.

pick 1.06 Vernon Gholston DE 0.00 Yes, the same as Blutarski's grade point average in Animal House. The "ghost" is a bust of epic proportions. He has 21 solo tackles in 3 years, the majority of which have been on special teams. Only 4 this year, which Rex said would be his coming out year. He has not had a single sack in 3 years. Invisible when in the game. Perhaps the biggest bust in Jets draft history. Even Blair Thomas and Johnny Lam Jones contributed something. Not this guy. He'll be cut after the season.

Minus one is off the scale, but that is where he belongs.

pick 1.30 Dustin Keller TE: 7 Solid pass catcher and has learned to block. Only wish the Jets would use him more.

I might be inclined to give him a 8.0, but recent drops make me agree with 7.

pick 1.05 Mark Sanchez QB: 8 He's the Franchise Sanchise now. Future of the team for the next 7 years is all on his shoulders. Playing well considering he had only 14 college starts.

I have Sanchez at a 7 now. If he keeps it up for another month, I'll go 8.

The trade with Cleveland to get Sanchez: The Jets traded a bag of peanuts and a warm beer to Mangini and the Browns to steal him on draft day. Browns had Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn on its roster. LOL. What did Cleveland get for trading pick 1.05 to the Jets? The Jets 1st rounder, pick 1.17, DL Kenyon Coleman, S Abram Elam, QB Brett Ratliff and the Jets 2nd round pick. And get this: Cleveland turned around and traded the 1.17 pick to Tampa Bay who picked... you guessed it... Josh Freeman. LOL, LOL, LOL Mangini is a such a moron. Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson over Sanchez or Freeman. LOL LOL LOL again. Sanchez's got a strong accurate arm (not a cannon, but strong) he is smart, mobile and solid. Draft day heist of the decade. And who did the Browns draft with the second rounder they got from the Jets in that trade? David Veikune LB, who played in 10 games without a single tackle and then got hurt and was waived. OMG. Worst draft day trade ever.

pick 1.29 Kyle Wilson CB: too soon to rate. As of now, I would give him a 4, but he is behind Revis and Cromartie so there's no way in hell he plays anything other than nickel for now. Has the skills and speed. Could develop into a star. Time will tell.

While it may be unfair to rate him, based on what he has and hasn't done so far, I have to go with 1 3.0 He was supposed to be an NFL ready starting CB, and he has dismally disappointed so far, and even has trouble in the nickle role.

Not picking apart your rankings, rather I liked them and it was easier to just comment in this fashion. Good post.

I'll throw a few out there. Feel free to comment:

Panthers:

2004 Chris Gamble- 6.5. Has started most of his career and is good enough to keep his job but nothing great.

2005 Thomas Davis-- 6.5 Certainly had flashes but also injury issues

2006 DeAngelo Williams- 8 Denied touches early but that's because Fox always favored the vets (perhaps to a fault). Came on very strong and was effective until the team just fell apart around him

2007 John Beason- 9 Perennial pro-bowler and team leader from the out-set

2008 Johnathan Steward- 7.5 Has put up solid numbers in both 08 an 09 despite sharing time with another very good back. Does get nicked up a lot though. Like Williams, gotta give him a pass on this year considering the team has imploded.

2008 Jeff Otah 7 or ?- Has been a fixture in the starting line-up since the beginning but has been derailed by knee injuries.

Niners

2004 Rashaun Woods- 0 bust, last seen playing in Europe. 'nuff said

2005 Alex Smith- 2.5. Injuries give him a slight benefit of the doubt but it's not like he did much otherwise

2006 Vernon Davis 7.5- It would be a bit higher had he not taken so long to come around. I could be talked into an 8 or 8.5 though

2006 Manny Lawson- 7- Has developed into a solid starter after an early injury

2007 Patrick Willis- 10 Total stud Not exactly sure how much more they could expect from him

2007 Joe Staley- 7.5 Solid starter that's been re-upped until 2017

2008 Kentwan Balmer- 0 bust, traded to Seattle for a 6th rounder after a nothing year that ended with a shoulder injury

2009 Crabtree- 7.5 Certainly has the potential to end up higher and I could be talked into bumping that up a notch but not without baggage.

2010 Anthony Davis - 7 too soon to say but has started as a rookie

2010 Lupati- 7 same as above

2010 Joe Haden (CB) - 7 - Too soon to say much more

2009 Alex Mac (Center) - 8 - Outstanding

2007 Joe Thomas (OT) - 8 - ProBowl LT

Brady Quinn (QB) - 2 - still young

2006 Kamerion Wimbley (LB) - 4 - NFL starter

2005 Braylon Edwards (WR) - 6 - starter, more good years than bad

2004 Kellen Winslow (TE) - 5 - more bad years than good, mostly injury related though

2003 Jeff Faine (Center) - 3 - didn't last long

2002 William Green (RB) - 3 - one good year led to high expectations, then nothing

Trying to move this thing along. I'll just fill in the obvious ones. Homers or anyone else is welcome to add to the mix.

AZ

2004 Larry Fitz 10 stud

2005 Antrel Rolle

2006 Matt Leinart 1 dud

2007 Levi Brown

2008 Dom Rogers-Cromartie

2009 Beenie Wells

2010 Dan Williams

Green Bay

2004 Ahmad Carroll

2005 Aaron Rodgers 8.5

2006 AJ Hawk (gotta think 7?)

2007 Justin Harrell

2009 BJ Raji

2009 Clay Mathews 8.5?

2010 Bryan Bulaga

Edited by detlef

Trying to move this thing along. I'll just fill in the obvious ones. Homers or anyone else is welcome to add to the mix.

Green Bay

2004 Ahmad Carroll - 1 BUST

2005 Aaron Rodgers - 9

2006 AJ Hawk - 7.5

2007 Justin Harrell - 0 Injury plagued

2009 BJ Raji - 7

2009 Clay Mathews - 10

2010 Bryan Bulaga - too soon to tell, putting in a 7.

My ratings in place.

Edited by Big John

OK, we need the following:

Bills

Dolphins

Bengals

Texans

Jags

Colts

Chargers

Broncos

Raiders

Ravens

Cowboys

Skins

AZ (I got it started but only filled in the obvious ones)

Saints

I've started compiling everything. Where more than one person evaluated the teams, I averaged scores. Where a number of people have questioned a ranking, I adjusted accordingly. Where someone's description of a guy didn't match the grade they got based on my criteria, I adjusted a bit. That sort of thing.

Texans:

2004:

1.10 - Dunta Robinson, Cornerback: 5, serviceable

1.27 Jason Babin, Defensive end: 2, meh, good rookie year then fell off

2005:

1.16: Travis Johnson, Defensive tackle: 1, he's still playing

2006:

1.01: Mario Williams, Defensive end: 9, fantastic pick, certainly the best of the top 3 that year.

2007:

1.10: Amobi Okoye , Defensive tackle: 7, he has done very well anchoring the middle of the line and is improving each year.

2008:

1.26: Duane Brown, Offensive tackle: 6, I didn't realize his value until he was hurt this year. Consistently good lineman.

2009:

1.15: Brian Cushing, Linebacker: 7, flourished next to Ryans but has struggled on his own.

2010:

1.20: Kareem Jackson, Cornerback: 3, the Texans secondary is awful. Awful.

OK Then, Ravens...

2004 No pick

2005 Mark Clayton 4?

2006 Haloti Ngata 8?

2007 Ben Grubbs 7?

2008 Joe Flacco 8?

2009 Michal Oher 8?

2010 No pick

Saints

2004 Will Smith 8?

2005 Jammal Brown ?

2006 Reggie Bush 7? (don't want to penalize him for the expectations)

2007 Robert Meachem 6.5?

2008 Sedrick Ellis ?

2009 Malcolm Jenkins 4

2010 Patrick Robinson ?

Chargers

2004 Phillip Rivers 9

2005 Sean Merriman 7? Dominant when he was on roids but...

2006 Antonio Cromartie 7 If he was truly great, he'd still be a Charger?

2007 Craig Davis 3?

2008 Antoine Cason 5?

2009 Larry English 3?

2010 Ryan Mathews 4?

My brother in-law is a Bills fan, so for the sake of conversation, I've adopted them as my second team. I'll give it a shot.

2004--Lee Evans 7.5 Has the talent to be higher, but the lack of his own consistency coupled with a lack of a consistent QB has kept him from reaching the next level.

2005--no pick

2006--a. Donte Whitner--6.0 Has shown glimpses both directions, has had injury problems, spent some time at LB, and is now playing pretty well again. Overall, quite average.

b. John McCargo--.5 --Has never been a starter, hasn't played much in his career, and has been inactive all season.

2007--Marshawn Lynch--6.5 Overall has been a pretty solid NFL player. Had some pretty minor law troubles which have kept him off the field. Has never really shown the explosiveness that got him drafted so high a few years ago. Wasn't the savior they hoped for.

2008--Leodis McKelvin--7.5 Good player. Not a superstar, but potentially could become one. Has shown glimpses. Just a solid player and solid pick.

2009--Aaron Maybin--1.0 Would be the bust of the draft if Aaron Curry wasn't taken quite a bit higher.

2010---CJ Spiller--I'm not going to give him the 2.0 that he deserves until he gets a few more chances.

Edited by Seahawks21

My brother in-law is a Bills fan, so for the sake of conversation, I've adopted them as my second team. I'll give it a shot.

2004--Lee Evans 7.5 Has the talent to be higher, but the lack of his own consistency coupled with a lack of a consistent QB has kept him from reaching the next level.

2005--no pick

2006--a. Donte Whitner--6.0 Has shown glimpses both directions, has had injury problems, spent some time at LB, and is now playing pretty well again. Overall, quite average.

b. John McCargo--.5 --Has never been a starter, hasn't played much in his career, and has been inactive all season.

2007--Marshawn Lynch--6.5 Overall has been a pretty solid NFL player. Had some pretty minor law troubles which have kept him off the field. Has never really shown the explosiveness that got him drafted so high a few years ago. Wasn't the savior they hoped for.

2008--Leodis McKelvin--7.5 Good player. Not a superstar, but potentially could become one. Has shown glimpses. Just a solid player and solid pick.

2009--Aaron Maybin--1.0 Would be the bust of the draft if Aaron Curry wasn't taken quite a bit higher.

2010---CJ Spiller--I'm not going to give him the 2.0 that he deserves until he gets a few more chances.

Just confirming, that's 0.5 for McCargo?, not a 5? One would guess by your description. And, yes, Spiller's stats are pretty lame. Given your comments, I bumped him up to a 3 for the benefit of the doubt you seemed to imply.

this will be a little different from the other Jets evals:

JETS

pick 1.12 - Jonathan Vilma LB: 7 (however he played poorly when miscast in the 3-4 defense; he is strictly a 4-3 LB, the 7 rating is for 4-3 only)

No draft pick

pick 1.04 - D'Brickashaw Ferguson LT: 9 One of the best LTs in the game today outstanding pass protection and has become a decent run blocker. I would have given him an 8 based on his draft position, but then read your post that it doesn't matter whether its top or bottom of round 1. Brick is surely a 9.

pick 1.29 - Nick Mangold C: 10 Team leader. Outstanding run blocker and pass protection. In the top 3 for centers in the league

pick 1.14 Darrelle Revis CB: 10 Jets traded up to get him just before the Steelers were going to grab this Pittsburgh native. One of the best Jets draft moves in team history. (Jets also traded up to steal LB David Harris in round 2. Great draft)

pick 1.06 Vernon Gholston DE 0.00 Yes, the same as Blutarski's grade point average in Animal House. The "ghost" is a bust of epic proportions. He has 21 solo tackles in 3 years, the majority of which have been on special teams. Only 4 this year, which Rex said would be his coming out year. He has not had a single sack in 3 years. Invisible when in the game. Perhaps the biggest bust in Jets draft history. Even Blair Thomas and Johnny Lam Jones contributed something. Not this guy. He'll be cut after the season.

pick 1.30 Dustin Keller TE: 7 Solid pass catcher and has learned to block. Only wish the Jets would use him more.

pick 1.05 Mark Sanchez QB: 8 He's the Franchise Sanchise now. Future of the team for the next 7 years is all on his shoulders. Playing well considering he had only 14 college starts.

The trade with Cleveland to get Sanchez: The Jets traded a bag of peanuts and a warm beer to Mangini and the Browns to steal him on draft day. Browns had Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn on its roster. LOL. What did Cleveland get for trading pick 1.05 to the Jets? The Jets 1st rounder, pick 1.17, DL Kenyon Coleman, S Abram Elam, QB Brett Ratliff and the Jets 2nd round pick. And get this: Cleveland turned around and traded the 1.17 pick to Tampa Bay who picked... you guessed it... Josh Freeman. LOL, LOL, LOL Mangini is a such a moron. Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson over Sanchez or Freeman. LOL LOL LOL again. Sanchez's got a strong accurate arm (not a cannon, but strong) he is smart, mobile and solid. Draft day heist of the decade. And who did the Browns draft with the second rounder they got from the Jets in that trade? David Veikune LB, who played in 10 games without a single tackle and then got hurt and was waived. OMG. Worst draft day trade ever.

pick 1.29 Kyle Wilson CB: too soon to rate. As of now, I would give him a 4, but he is behind Revis and Cromartie so there's no way in hell he plays anything other than nickel for now. Has the skills and speed. Could develop into a star. Time will tell.

I agree that Mangini didn't want a QB that year. He had 2 "prospects" at the time and personally i think the front office (before Holgrom took over) was making a lot of decision at that time....

When Holgrom moved into that front office he did some cleaning and got a lot out of those 2 QBs. Mainly a star RB in Hillis and draft picks..... for Brady Quinn.... who is stilll Orton's back up lol.

I agree that Mangini didn't want a QB that year. He had 2 "prospects" at the time and personally i think the front office (before Holgrom took over) was making a lot of decision at that time....

When Holgrom moved into that front office he did some cleaning and got a lot out of those 2 QBs. Mainly a star RB in Hillis and draft picks..... for Brady Quinn.... who is stilll Orton's back up lol.

I saw that OSU and decided to let it slide. Obviously he hates Mangini and nothing you or I or anyone can say will change his mind.

OK, here's some more teams. Full disclosure, I'm just going on starts and stats. Just trying to save some homers the trouble of looking things up. Please, if your team is here or in any of the other posts I've done this with, copy, paste and change scores as you see fit.

Raiders

2004 Robert Gallery I could swear people have called him a bit of a bust but he's started all but 1 game in his career. 7?

2005 Fabian Washington 5 has seemed like an on again-off again starter now on his 2nd team

2006 Michael Huff 6.5 Seems like a solid but not super impressive starter

2007 JaMarcus Russel 0 bust

2008 Daren McFadden 5.5 finally producing (but not exactly tearing it up) after two very lack luster years

2009 Darius Heyward Bey 4 The good news is that he's started almost every game he's been healthy for. The bad news is he has 28 career receptions in 20 games

2010 Rolando McClain 6.5? Starting and making tackles but not lighting the world on fire.

Dolphins

2004 Vernon Carey 7? Based on starts alone, has only missed 2 since his rookie year

2005 Ronnie Brown 8? And likely would be higher if not for the injuries. Hell, maybe it should be because of the injuries and the comebacks.

2006 Jason Allen 2 Never really made the starting lineup and now doesn't even start for a Houston team that can't defend the pass

2007 Ted Ginn Jr 2 Was traded for a ham sandwich and now only returns kicks

2008 Jake Long 8.5? I know he's started every game in his career and is a team leader. Miami fans? Does he deserve better? Slightly worse?

2009 Vontae Davis 7? Seems fine enough

2010 Jered Odrick n/a broke foot in pre-season and is out for year.

Bengals

2004 Chris Perry 3 Still on the team and getting some PT, but hasn't done dick at any point in his career

2005 David Pollack 3 Career ending injury very early but didn't do much in the full season prior to it

2006 Jonathan Joseph 6.5 Has started most of his healthy games and seems to produce.

2007 Leon Hall 7.5 Has started every game since rookie year and gets a decent amount of picks

2008 Keith Rivers 6.5 Has started all but one healthy game but isn't a ton of sacks or tackles

2009 Andre Smith 2.5 All signs lead to bust. Has started the last 3 games though. Benefit of the doubt given it's his second year.

2010 Jermaine Gresham 7 So far so good

Colts

2004 No pick

2005 Marlin Jackson 2 Never seemed to do much of anything now on Philly but not playing

2006 Joseph Addai 6 Certainly has been good at times but Colts did have to spend a 1st round pick on a RB 3 years later

2007 Anthony Gonzalez 4 Gets a courtesy point because he's been hurt so much

2008 no pick

2009 Donald Brown 5 Courtesy point because he's still young. Didn't realize how ineffective he's been til I looked at the stats

2010 Jerry Hughes 3 Is not starting and has 3 tackles. If he wasn't a rook, I'd knock him more

Cowboys

2004 no pick

2005 DeMarcus Ware 9.5 Among the best in the league at his position essentially from the outset

2005 Marcus Spears 7 Career starter but without many tackles or sacks

2006 Bobby Carpenter 1 On his 3rd team and 5 career starts in 6 seasons

2007 Anthony Spencer 6 Has made his way into the starting line-up in after 2 years of back up and has decent stats

2008 Felix Jones 6 Has trouble staying healthy but dynamic when he's on the field

2008 Mike Jenkins 7 Has started nearly every game since rookie year

2009 no pick

2010 Dez Bryant 9 Already the best WR on the team and dynamic on returns

Skins

2004 Sean Taylor 8 Career starter until his murder

2005 Carlos Rogers 7 Has basically started every healthy game after rookie season

2005 Jason Campbell 5 On second team and never exactly caught on

2006 no pick

2007 LaRon Landry 7.5 Career starter who gets his share of tackles

2008 no pick

2009 Brian Orakpo 8.5 Effective pass rusher right from the beginning of his career

2010 Trent Williams 7.5 Has started every game at Tackle. Not sure if he's any good though

Jags

2004 Reggie Williams 2 Out of football had flashes in 06 and 07

2005 Matt Jones 2 Showed promise in early years. Already out of football

2006 Mercedes Lewis 7 Has progressed in each year, being named alternate to Pro Bowl in '09

2007 Reggie Nelson 4 Started early years, put up so so stats, then traded and not starting for Cinci

2008 Derrick Harvey 5 Has mostly started and put up rather pedestrian numbers

2009 Eugene Monroe 6 Given every chance but apparently inconsistent so far

2010 Tyson Alualu 7.5 Starter from week one, and putting up nice enough stats

OK Then, Ravens...

2004 No pick

2005 Mark Clayton 4?

2006 Haloti Ngata 8?

2007 Ben Grubbs 7?

2008 Joe Flacco 8?

2009 Michal Oher 8?

2010 No pick

Saints

2004 Will Smith 8?

2005 Jammal Brown ?

2006 Reggie Bush 7? (don't want to penalize him for the expectations)

2007 Robert Meachem 6.5?

2008 Sedrick Ellis ?

2009 Malcolm Jenkins 4

2010 Patrick Robinson ?

Chargers

2004 Phillip Rivers 9

2005 Sean Merriman 7? Dominant when he was on roids but...

2006 Antonio Cromartie 7 If he was truly great, he'd still be a Charger?

2007 Craig Davis 3?

2008 Antoine Cason 5?

2009 Larry English 3?

2010 Ryan Mathews 4?

AZ

2004 Larry Fitz 10 stud

2005 Antrel Rolle 8 after a nice set of years with AZ, NYG made him one of the highest paid safeties

2006 Matt Leinart 1 dud

2007 Levi Brown 7.5 appears solid enough

2008 Dom Rogers-Cromartie

2009 Beenie Wells 5 not exactly lighting it up

2010 Dan Williams

Edited by detlef

I'll throw a few out there. Feel free to comment:

Panthers:

2004 Chris Gamble- 6.5. Has started most of his career and is good enough to keep his job but nothing great.

2005 Thomas Davis-- 6.5 Certainly had flashes but also injury issues

2006 DeAngelo Williams- 8 Denied touches early but that's because Fox always favored the vets (perhaps to a fault). Came on very strong and was effective until the team just fell apart around him

2007 John Beason- 9 Perennial pro-bowler and team leader from the out-set

2008 Johnathan Steward- 7.5 Has put up solid numbers in both 08 an 09 despite sharing time with another very good back. Does get nicked up a lot though. Like Williams, gotta give him a pass on this year considering the team has imploded.

2008 Jeff Otah 7 or ?- Has been a fixture in the starting line-up since the beginning but has been derailed by knee injuries.

Niners

2004 Rashaun Woods- 0 bust, last seen playing in Europe. 'nuff said

2005 Alex Smith- 2.5. Injuries give him a slight benefit of the doubt but it's not like he did much otherwise

2006 Vernon Davis 7.5- It would be a bit higher had he not taken so long to come around. I could be talked into an 8 or 8.5 though

2006 Manny Lawson- 7- Has developed into a solid starter after an early injury

2007 Patrick Willis- 10 Total stud Not exactly sure how much more they could expect from him

2007 Joe Staley- 7.5 Solid starter that's been re-upped until 2017

2008 Kentwan Balmer- 0 bust, traded to Seattle for a 6th rounder after a nothing year that ended with a shoulder injury

2009 Crabtree- 7.5 Certainly has the potential to end up higher and I could be talked into bumping that up a notch but not without baggage.

2010 Anthony Davis - 7 too soon to say but has started as a rookie

2010 Lupati- 7 same as above

[/quote

I agree on panther picks other than Stewart. Goodson has produced well in the same system this year. I'm not knocking Williams as he ha sbeen hurt.

I'd stretch to 8 on Vernon Davis.