[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playoff Tiebreaker Question

HutOne

I was wondering how your league breaks ties for teams that make the playoffs.

Here is my problem , The top 6 teams in the league make the playoffs. Three teams have already clinched and it looks like four teams will have the same record for the last three spots. Team A beat Team B , Team C beat Team A , Team B beat Team D and you guessed it Team D beat Team A in the regular season. Three teams are from one Division and the four is from the other so I can't really use Division records.

Any help to make it fair would be a great help. Two things I thought of was overall point totals for the year or add up the points those teams had against one another and the top 3 make it.

Any Thoughts ?

Overall point total would be a better tiebreaker over against the teams itself as it indicates a better overall team.

Got my vote.

After head-to-head, our league uses overall points as the tiebreaker. Then points against (fair or not on that one). Almost came down to points against a few years ago when I lost my division lead on the last week (you owe me J Stew) by 9 points on the overall points tiebreaker. "Never say never" when it comes to tiebreakers. At any rate, have something in place from day 1 next year so rules aren't being perceived (or in reality) being on the spot.

Most points on the bench for that week, breaks the tie.

I dont like this. Why reward guys that are on the bench.

Each year as I approach the end of the season I am looking to trade depth.. often 2 players for 1 player trades to get the best starting team I can get for the playoffs.. as a result my bench is weak..

YTD points. We do it as our first tiebreaker for playoff seeding, never had to go to the second (though we have a whole list in the rules).

We actually do use bench points to break ties in games, including playoff games; we don't record tie games at all. This is probably going to sound really lame to some of you, but I won the super bowl a few years ago on that tiebreaker. You have to consider tiebreakers for games too, at least playoff games, because what are you going to do if there's a tie in a playoff game? In the super bowl in theory you could split the prize. In the case of our league that would be add up the super bowl winner and loser prizes and split. But that also seems lame. Someone should win. How do other leagues decide a tie super bowl?

We break ties in the division first with only one team emerging at a time. If nobody in the same division swept the others than division record and then total points, then total points h2h.

Then of those three the winner goes up against the other division team. Likely decided by h2h, boom winner.

Then if additional spots are available start over with remaining teams

I was wondering how your league breaks ties for teams that make the playoffs.

Here is my problem , The top 6 teams in the league make the playoffs. Three teams have already clinched and it looks like four teams will have the same record for the last three spots. Team A beat Team B , Team C beat Team A , Team B beat Team D and you guessed it Team D beat Team A in the regular season. Three teams are from one Division and the four is from the other so I can't really use Division records.

Any help to make it fair would be a great help. Two things I thought of was overall point totals for the year or add up the points those teams had against one another and the top 3 make it.

Any Thoughts ?

What he just said, which is I think close to what the NFL does.

In your case, the 3 in the same division need to be rated against each other - first hth, if no winner, then overall Division record, then most points. That team is then matched against the one from the other Division. Likely HTH would settle that. If not, total points.

Now you've picked one team. If that was the one from a division by himself, you've also picked the second one - the team from the division with 3 who won their tiebreakers. Now you can simply match the last 2 teams also by HTH, and winner is the third team.

If the winner of step one was the team from the division with 3 teams, now you match the other two from that division with each other, as above, winner goes against the other division team, same as above.

Repeat as often as necessary.

Clear? Actually I got confused during typing this - but I think it is the 'right' way!

Whew. :wacko: