[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My brother-in-laws Flemings got reviewed

TimC

I'm gonna brag on him....he's a really good guy and works his butt off. :tup:

:wacko:

Thanksgiving is over, and it's already two days into December. My mind might still be in June, but like it or not, the holiday season is in full swing.

You've probably already been to the mall more times in the past two weeks than you have all year, and there are three more weeks to go until Christmas. You still need to get a present for mom, gifts for your cousins and maybe something to acknowledge your niece's boyfriend of the moment.

But what about a present for you? Don't you deserve something for all the hard work you put into making the holidays great for your family each year?

I suggest dinner at Fleming's Prime Steakhouse and Wine Bar. Tucked into Stony Point Fashion Park, Richmond's location of this national chain has been around for a while. From bouts of bar-side nibbles to a recent Friday multicourse dinner, I've never had a bad experience.Compared to other similar steakhouses, Fleming's has a less stuffy, somewhat more modern vibe.

Sure, the elegant dining room is accented by the typical dark woods, wine racks and low lighting of most high-end steakhouses, but a few distinctions make it stand out.Several of Fleming's steaks are seasoned, sauced and garnished with subtle touches of creativity, something I enjoy. However, top-grade meat in its purest state is also available.

Sides aren't limited to baked potatoes and creamed spinach. Sautéed French green beans are enlivened by Athenaake mushrooms and porcini essence. Chipotle cheddar mac and cheese makes a childhood favorite fun.

Instead of having to order an entire bottle of wine, Fleming's has more than 100 wines by the glass, making sampling and exploring exciting and commitment-free.

Recently, I sipped my way through glasses of 2008 A to Z Wineworks Pinot Noir and 2007 Black Pearl Oro Shiraz-Cabernet blend, intrigued by how they both paired well with the variety of my meal's flavors and courses.

The infusion of casualness into traditional upscale dining is one of my favorite traits about Fleming's, and service follows suit. For the most partFleming's staff members, including bartenders and managers, make you feel comfortable while still doing their jobs with grace.

On my Friday visit, we started with jumbo lump crab cakes ($14.50), two perfectly seared cakes of pure lump meat with barely a smidge of filler. Served over a deftly reserved roasted red pepper-lime butter sauce, they were some of the best crab cakes I've ever had.

Our main courses were equally amazing -- porcini-rubbed filet mignon ($34.95), a N.Y. Strip special with bacon-wrapped scallops ($38.95) and side of Parmesan-peppercorn mashed potatoes ($6.95).

Cooked to a perfect medium, the filet was exceedingly tender. A light dusting of earthy, dried porcini and drizzle of Gorgonzola cream managed to pull off the difficult task of adding energy but still letting the flavor of the rose-colored meat dominate.

Flaunting a salt-encrusted, smoky char yet boasting a medium-rare interior, the strip was toweringly thick. Each bite melted in our mouths, priming our palates for the succulent scallops kissed with the saltiness of bacon. On the side was a dipping sauce of Cabernet-butter sauce. Trust me, you must try this sauce. Must.

Rich, creamy and packing the tangy spice of Parmesan and peppercorn, the side of mashed potatoes could be the cause of a heart attack I would gladly welcome.

Through Dec. 15 via online reservation only, you can enjoy a three-course dinner for two for $99, which includes filet mignon and broiled Maine lobster tail for each diner, Caesar salad, maple-roasted baby carrots and carrot cake.

If that isn't a reason to give yourself the gift of Fleming's, I don't know what is. Heck, you're already at the mall, so what's one more purchase?

Is Flemings owned by Outback Steakhouse?

PF Changs, Flemings, Outback, Carrabbas are all under the same umbrella. The guys that own it all are pretty cool people too. They treat 'em pretty good.

Edited by TimC