[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers Done

McBoog

I agree with everything McBoog says. HOWEVER, it's glaring that you make no mention of the coaching staff/front office. Norv Turner HAS to go. AJ Smith should be given a pink slip as well. Injuries are a part of football. Look at the Patriots for crying out loud.

Norv, yes. I think he must go but AJ? Really? The man that drafted Rivers, Brees, LT and a plethera of other potential HoF? Hell, I take AJ here in Denver as our GM.....

Norv, yes. I think he must go but AJ? Really? The man that drafted Rivers, Brees, LT and a plethera of other potential HoF? Hell, I take AJ here in Denver as our GM.....

+1 - I wouldn't be surprised if Brian Xanders is shown the door this offseason. He's culpable for the personnel decisions as much as, if not more than, McDaniels.

Can't let AJ go. I am an AJ fan. Gates, Cooper, Tolbert as FAs? He has a knack for finding solid football players and doesn't put up with the prima-donna crap. I like that. The injuries to Floyd, Gates, Davis, Crayton, Naanee, Mathews, McMicheal and Wilson have hurt this team gratly. NOT the VJax situation. He draws a line and stands by it. I like that and not too many people do it anymore.

I am on record as saying we should have grabbed Ryan when we had the chance and think he would have had a ring for the Bolts already. Given that, here I go.

I have trouble with whole fire Norv snf he is an enigma to me.

Who are they going to get and how long will it take the team to learn new systems and methods? I think the players are as much at fault as the coaches for the early season problems, almost expecting things to work out instead of working for it from the beginning. This is why I think they are better off missing the post season and getting some of that hunger back. I am sure that it has nothing to do with preparation. The Raiders did not out scheme the Chargers in the last game, they just plain old kicked their asses. That is on the players, not the coaching staff. Rivers is the emotional leader of this team and the players all disagree with the "to calm" tag that Turner has. We don't see him in practice or the locker room and the players dread getting chewed out by him in practice.

Norv is 32-16 (67%) or 38 - 22 (63%) including this season with the Chargers and has 100 wins in the NFL. Not bad. I just don't understand why he is so vilified as a HC. I feel he was handicapped by bad situations in Wash and Oak and that should be factored into the "we hate Norv" crowd. He is 3-3 in the playoffs in San Diego. You can't tell me the Pats win if Brady played the Conference Championship on a shredded knee on the road with the other two main offensive stars injured as well (say Moss and Welker) against a healthy playoff opponent.

I think it is a very solid coaching staff and though I am open to replacing Norv, I would need a compelling argument as to why anyone available is better at this time.

The one move I could see making would be to promote Rivera to HC and bring in an OC that knows the same system that Turner uses to minimize the impact on one of the best offenses in The League. I would hate to lose Rivera and this is a way of keeping him in place. He too has been on a staff that won a SB (as has Turner) and that is valuable experience! The Chargers have had way too much turnover in their defensive staff over the last five years and the stability is finally beginning to show.

Even then, I would bet a paycheck that Turner ends up coaching somewhere at a minimum of OC and maybe even an HC.

The Chiefs are a much better football team than most, even their own fans, are giving them credit for. They have a great offensive line, a solid defense, a great running game, and a QB who is getting better at managing the game and making plays when needed, as the season goes on.

Injuries are never an excuse. Many teams are dealing with injuries in key areas. Good teams overcome those injuries, plain and simple.

Norv Turner takes the heat he does because everyone knows how talented of a team he is coaching, and he simply isn't getting it done. He should be ashamed of the Chargers record this season, injuries or not. They are far too talented to be where they are.

We are talking about the LA Chargers here, right? This may just be posturing, but I had not seen it mentioned before on the boards ... anyways, below from KFFL.

Tue, 07 Dec 2010 09:04:48 -0800

Provided that groundwork is done to build a new downtown events center in the next year, the San Diego Chargers are likely to announce shortly after Feb. 1, 2012, that the team will move to Los Angeles for the start of the 2012 season, according to T.J. Simers, of the Los Angeles Times. The Chargers probably will announce soon they will not be exercising their Feb. 1-May 1 escape clause from their stadium lease next year because they really have nowhere to go. The city of San Diego's last shot, and probably its only chance to keep the team, rests on a November 2012 ballot measure that probably will never materialize. City officials and the Chargers would have to agree on the language for such a ballot measure sometime during 2011 and probably no later than early 2012. If they could find common ground, such a measure authorizing the spending of public money on a new stadium would need strong political backing. Most observers believe politicians will not show such support, instead leaving it up to voters. If local politicians don't line up strongly behind such a ballot measure, there would be little incentive for the Chargers to spend money on campaigning for such a losing measure.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz17RyhvJnd' rel="external nofollow">

Edited by ts

The Chiefs are a much better football team than most, even their own fans, are giving them credit for. They have a great offensive line, a solid defense, a great running game, and a QB who is getting better at managing the game and making plays when needed, as the season goes on. Agreed! I think the Chiefs are putting together the type of dominating O-Line they had in years past!

Injuries are never an excuse. Many teams are dealing with injuries in key areas. Good teams overcome those injuries, plain and simple. Injuries are not an excuse for a bad season. They can however impact individual games. If this is not true, why do Vegas lines move when certain players are or are not playing? I don't think I have made any excuses for the Bolts this, or any season.

Norv Turner takes the heat he does because everyone knows how talented of a team he is coaching, and he simply isn't getting it done. He should be ashamed of the Chargers record this season, injuries or not. They are far too talented to be where they are. He is the head coach and his head will be first to roll. They have worked well through the injuries. But you talk about how much talent they have, how can you use it if it is on the sidelines taking care of booboos? This logic would have us all believe that all teams should win the Super Bowl and there is no excuse for the other 31 teams that don't. I still think, as a fan of the team, that there is much blame to be handed out to the players. They are professionals and should bring it every week. Not wait until it is crunch time and expect everything to work out.

I really am tired of the whole macho, "injuries are not an excuse" argument. They are not an excuse, but they are a reason that can be pointed to that helps understand why a team does or does not have success on any given Sunday or even a season.

Chances are that the Colts or the Chargers don't win another game if Manning or Rivers go on IR this week. Is that an excuse, or a tangible event that helps to understand why the team struggles? Were the Patriots as good with Cassell at Qb as they are with Brady? Nope? Could that be part of the reason? Yup!

None of this is intended to defend Turner. As I have said, I am ambivalent to him staying or going. I just want to know who and why that who will make them better. Would I be up for firing Turner and hiring McDaniels? I hear he is available. :wacko:

I pointed out the winning record that Turner has with the Chargers and the fact that he is 3-3 in the playoffs. I would guess that most teams that haven't been to the playoffs the last four years might be willing to trade that. It seems that other's expectations of what the Chargers should have accomplished are higher than mine. Maybe this is a reverse way of saying, "You did good, but you still suck?"

I really am tired of the whole macho, "injuries are not an excuse" argument. They are not an excuse, but they are a reason that can be pointed to that helps understand why a team does or does not have success on any given Sunday or even a season.

Chances are that the Colts or the Chargers don't win another game if Manning or Rivers go on IR this week. Is that an excuse, or a tangible event that helps to understand why the team struggles? Were the Patriots as good with Cassell at Qb as they are with Brady? Nope? Could that be part of the reason? Yup!

None of this is intended to defend Turner. As I have said, I am ambivalent to him staying or going. I just want to know who and why that who will make them better. Would I be up for firing Turner and hiring McDaniels? I hear he is available. :wacko:

I pointed out the winning record that Turner has with the Chargers and the fact that he is 3-3 in the playoffs. I would guess that most teams that haven't been to the playoffs the last four years might be willing to trade that. It seems that other's expectations of what the Chargers should have accomplished are higher than mine. Maybe this is a reverse way of saying, "You did good, but you still suck?"

Of course injuries have an effect, but, they still shouldn't be used as an excuse (I'm not accusing you of doing so). The Steelers lost their 2nd best offensive lineman at Right Tackle for the season prior to the beginning of the season. They lost their best Offensive Lineman & staring Left Tackle for the season in early November. They have had other assorted injuries throughout their offensive line, and have started 7 different sets of offensive lineman. They also lost their best Defensive End for the season, in Aaron Smith. They also played their first 4 games without their starting QB. My point isn't too brag about what the Steelers have done despite their injuries (although I'm sure that is what most will jump on) but to say that to be a good team, you have to have the depth to overcome the injuries that will happen during every season.

We are talking about the LA Chargers here, right? This may just be posturing, but I had not seen it mentioned before on the boards ... anyways, below from KFFL.

Tue, 07 Dec 2010 09:04:48 -0800

Provided that groundwork is done to build a new downtown events center in the next year, the San Diego Chargers are likely to announce shortly after Feb. 1, 2012, that the team will move to Los Angeles for the start of the 2012 season, according to T.J. Simers, of the Los Angeles Times. The Chargers probably will announce soon they will not be exercising their Feb. 1-May 1 escape clause from their stadium lease next year because they really have nowhere to go. The city of San Diego's last shot, and probably its only chance to keep the team, rests on a November 2012 ballot measure that probably will never materialize. City officials and the Chargers would have to agree on the language for such a ballot measure sometime during 2011 and probably no later than early 2012. If they could find common ground, such a measure authorizing the spending of public money on a new stadium would need strong political backing. Most observers believe politicians will not show such support, instead leaving it up to voters. If local politicians don't line up strongly behind such a ballot measure, there would be little incentive for the Chargers to spend money on campaigning for such a losing measure.

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz17RyhvJnd' rel="external nofollow">

:wacko: This is the latest in a long line of predictions on what the Chargers will or will not do. As I was with the other predictions I'm skeptical about this one too.

• 3 weeks later...
You guys are going to win the division. Mark my words.

:wacko:

I told you the Chiefs would win the division. It was there for everyone to see. The Chargers didn't want it this year. Your Chiefs did. End of story.

Congrats to all Chiefs fans.

As badly as the Chargers man-handled the Colts, I'm shocked they finished like this.

This has been a long time coming. Now some hard decisions are on the horizon. We may not recognize next years team at all...Of course we'll recognize Norv easy enough... :wacko:

The Chargers played with no heart today. 'Listless" is being kind. There will be some player moves before next season, and I hope a new head coach (although I'm not holding my breath on that).

Yep. That embarrassing home loss to Oakland a few weeks back was the end. How can you not do better against a hated division opponent at home with the playoffs at stake? Today is equally puzzling. Cincinnati? Really?

Well, losing to Oak a few weeks ago wasn't really as embarrassing as yesterday. We had already beaten them this season, and Oakland had been playing tough this year.

But Cinci, they had everything going against them it seemed. Two best WRs out, a disapointing year, SD playing for their playoff lives in the part of the year they are supposed to be unstoppable... shocking that SD tossed it in.

i really didn't understand the pre-occupation with running the football all day. we trailed all game and acted like we had all the time in the world to put points on the board. i understand the need for some balance and the injuries to the receiving core, but Rivers is our offence. instead we gave it to Mathews and Sproles to determine our fate. three runs on 1st and goal from the one said it all today.

very frustrating to watch.

and how does Cason miss the snap and allow himself to be beat deep so easily?

i really didn't understand the pre-occupation with running the football all day. we trailed all game and acted like we had all the time in the world to put points on the board. i understand the need for some balance and the injuries to the receiving core, but Rivers is our offence. instead we gave it to Mathews and Sproles to determine our fate. three runs on 1st and goal from the one said it all today.

very frustrating to watch.

and how does Cason miss the snap and allow himself to be beat deep so easily?

I don't know how much the wind had to do with affecting our passing game but it didn't seem to bother Palmer. Third downs killed San Diego...the middle of the field was WIDE open for Palmer to convert.

Who is Simpson? 120 yards and two TDs? Really?

The defense didn't get a sack, I don't believe, all day. Palmer hit something like 16-21 passes. Ridiculous. Like someone said earlier, describing the effort as listless is being kind.

At any rate, if you lose to Oakland, Seattle, St. Louis and Cincinnati you deserve to miss the playoffs.

Lets see what the draft holds. Obviously, I want to win games but if losing to Denver appreciably improves our first round slot than I'm okay with it.

The Chargers played with no heart today. 'Listless" is being kind. There will be some player moves before next season, and I hope a new head coach (although I'm not holding my breath on that).

I find the chargers to be the NFL's most perplexing team. They never seem to show heart when it counts. 13-3, one and done at home. 14-2, one and done at home. Now losing to the bengals with the season on the line. And not losing, but getting it handed to them.

There's something institutionalized about their losing ways. I say this with the understanding of a Cubs fan. I think along with Turner, you need to blow up and rebuild to get rid of whatever as this team.